What primarily killed New Atheism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:32:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What primarily killed New Atheism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What primarily killed New Atheism?
Credible accusations of racism/sexism against prominent New Atheists

Decline of conservative religious groups creating less backlash

Unpopularity amongst marginalized demographics

Discrediting itself via use of debunked talking points (Horus, et. al.)

Decline of social conservative policies (Federal Marriage Amendment, state gay marriage bans, abstinence only sex education/stealth creationism curricula in schools) resulting in less hostility amongst secular people

Greater visibility of liberal religion/possible increase in membership after decades of decline

New Atheists acting just as dogmatic as fundamentalist religious people themselves

Backlash toward things like r/atheism creating negative stereotypes of New Atheists ("Fat guy with a neckbeard in a fedora")

It was just a trend, it was never going to last long-term.

Other (please explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What primarily killed New Atheism?  (Read 2348 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: January 18, 2022, 01:29:14 PM »

I'm using "killed" here like Finn McKenty does in his "What killed *music genre*?" videos, as in yes the genres is perhaps technically not completely dead but definitely a shadow of what it used to be. New Atheism may technically still be around, but it's basically in the same way that MySpace is still a website, or for a political movement analogy how both the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street are technically still things. And the word "primarily" because these were definitely all factors.

My vote is option 5 for which of these played the biggest role.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 01:58:36 PM »

This really should have been multiple-choice, since there's obviously never just ONE cause to these things. #5 and #8 are probably the main ones, though. And of course #9 is true for most of stuff like this.

And the word "primarily" because these were definitely all factors.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 02:15:00 PM »

Other: I've never heard the term "New Atheism" from anyone but BRTD, and atheism never died.
You've never heard of Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 04:43:07 PM »

Other: I've never heard the term "New Atheism" from anyone but BRTD, and atheism never died.

I know of them, but I've never consumed much of their writing or interviews. I wasn't aware that there needed to be a "new" way of saying "I don't believe in god."

It wasn't really about "I don't believe in God" so much as "I don't believe in God so I'm so much more intelligent and truly intellectually superior to all those stupid religious people, lol they're so dumb amirite?"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »

I know of them, but I've never consumed much of their writing or interviews. I wasn't aware that there needed to be a "new" way of saying "I don't believe in god."

It wasn't really about "I don't believe in God" so much as "I don't believe in God so I'm so much more intelligent and truly intellectually superior to all those stupid religious people, lol they're so dumb amirite?"

Somehow I don't trust you to give an accurate and unbiased summation of Harris' or Dawkins' arguments. To tell the truth, I think most of your ripping on atheists on this website stems from insecurities you have about your beliefs and a cognitive need to distance yourself from atheism in order to reassure yourself of those beliefs. No other Christians on this site behave the way you do; even I don't start religious arguments on here unless provoked by a uniquely silly claim or comment. I hope you get these things straightened out for yourself soon-- not for your spiritual health, but because it's becoming exhausting to read the repetitive threads you make.
Nah that's just my personality. Look at how I talk about avoiding Trump precincts and dumping on the Republicans and all that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 08:58:48 PM »

If 'dying off' resulted in declaring ones atheism to become twice as popular amongst GenZ than Millennials then I'll put flowers on it's grave.

About only 8% of young people identify as "Protestant" now? Do Evangelicals call themselves "Protestant" in polls?

No, evangelicals usually self-describe as "Christian", and younger uneducated people are often unclear about what "Protestant" even means.

https://twitter.com/ryanburge/status/1480547479770869763
Also "Christian" often means "Not active in or dedicated to any particular church but still having a sort of vague belief in Christian spirituality." Not necessarily everyone who identifies as such even is from a Protestant background, like I said this is a pretty common self-ID label for ex-Catholics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies