Opinion of Jordan Peterson?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:05:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Jordan Peterson?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Jordan Peterson?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 95

Author Topic: Opinion of Jordan Peterson?  (Read 3088 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2022, 03:41:32 PM »

FF
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 03:50:04 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2022, 03:58:52 PM by KaiserDave »

I don't know about his views on psychology, but his historical (and political) perspectives are garbage.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 03:50:21 PM »

Hilarious Person
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:54:48 PM »

I actually used to enjoy his stuff many years ago before his idiotic sycophantic fanbase showed up. Anyway, dude needs to stay in his lane and just stick to writing self-help books or whatever. As a psychologist I'm sure he's perfectly well-educated, but when he discusses politics or philosophy (or anytime he mentions "post-modernism" or """cultural Marxism""") he just comes off as a massive tool who hasn't done his research.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:02:32 PM »

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 04:04:37 PM »

Anyone who cites Jung as a major influence (or just all but plagiarizes him, as in in Peterson's case) is an HP to me.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 04:36:46 PM »

I don't know about his views on psychology, but his historical (and political) perspectives are garbage.

Isn't he pretty much just a standard Canadian left-liberal who is critical of certain elements of contemporary "woke" ideology like with the trans stuff like Joe Rogan. All these college students calling him alt right or even a nazi because he disagrees with them on like two or three things strikes me as pretty hysterical.

Regardless I'm not a fan because he comes off like a pseudointellectual sophist most times I've seen him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 04:44:10 PM »

Isn't he pretty much just a standard Canadian left-liberal who is critical of certain elements of contemporary "woke" ideology like with the trans stuff like Joe Rogan. All these college students calling him alt right or even a nazi because he disagrees with them on like two or three things strikes me as pretty hysterical.

Regardless I'm not a fan because he comes off like a pseudointellectual sophist most times I've seen him.
this, exactly.  Anyone who thinks Peterson (or Rogan) is "alt-right" either doesn't know how we're defining alt-right this year or has never heard more than 6 seconds of him.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 04:49:54 PM »

"Standard Canadian left-liberals" tend not to be friends with Maxime Bernier.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 05:19:26 PM »

Living proof that education does not equal intelligence.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 05:25:54 PM »

He's a weirdo.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 06:15:54 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2022, 06:20:29 PM by KaiserDave »

He really isn't a "standard Canadian left-liberal." I don't think he's alt-right, and not a Nazi. But he does not describe himself as a left-liberal, rather using that overused "classical liberal" label. He really has nothing to do with mainstream "Canadian liberalism" and spends his time associating with right wing characters like the aforementioned Maxime Bernier and various anti-vaxxers these days.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 06:16:00 PM »

Isn't he pretty much just a standard Canadian left-liberal

No.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 10:43:22 PM »

He's great, very insightful. occasionally nutty but sometimes that goes with the territory for people who are trying to synthesize ideas from disparate fields.   
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 11:31:41 PM »

An excellent litmus test for left-wing and far-right people alike. Some of his beliefs are weird, but he's an interesting and smart person, and those who reflexively dismiss everything he says out-of-hand reveal their inability to engage with opinions that diverge from theirs. While I certainly don't endorse everything the man has ever said or written, he has always conducted himself with the kind of humility and politeness that is so lacking in our modern politics.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 12:38:20 AM »

Creepy loser
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2022, 11:45:18 AM by Doctor V »

An excellent litmus test for left-wing and far-right people alike. Some of his beliefs are weird, but he's an interesting and smart person, and those who reflexively dismiss everything he says out-of-hand reveal their inability to engage with opinions that diverge from theirs. While I certainly don't endorse everything the man has ever said or written, he has always conducted himself with the kind of humility and politeness that is so lacking in our modern politics.

His shtick is boilerplate self-help advice which any semi-competent psychologist could give you, peppered in with bizarre Jungian symbology and barely-plausibly-deniable reactionary dogwhistles. If what you're saying is that the self-help stuff shouldn't be dismissed, okay, sure, I agree keeping your room in order is good, but I don't think I needed him telling me that.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 11:37:12 AM »

While I certainly don't endorse everything the man has ever said or written, he has always conducted himself with the kind of humility and politeness that is so lacking in our modern politics.

This is exactly what is wrong with our modern politics. It shouldn't matter how "polite" you are if what you're saying is nonsense at best and immoral at worst.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »

His shtick is boilerplate self-help advice which any semi-competent psychologist could give you, peppered in with bizarre Jungian symbology and barely-plausibly-deniable reactionary dogwhistles. If what you're saying is that the self-help stuff shouldn't be dismissed, okay, sure, I agree keeping your room in order is good, but I don't think I needed him telling me that.

I have not engaged much with his self-help material. However, I have enjoyed watching some of his online lectures about fascism and collective movements, as well as his unapologetic opposition to coerced speech. The latter is indeed something many people today still need to hear, and until certain left-wing movements demonstrate an understanding of the arguments that people like Peterson make, they (rather than he) will remain the bigger problem.

This is exactly what is wrong with our modern politics. It shouldn't matter how "polite" you are if what you're saying is nonsense at best and immoral at worst.

Completely disagree.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 12:34:28 PM »

I have not engaged much with his self-help material. However, I have enjoyed watching some of his online lectures about fascism and collective movements, as well as his unapologetic opposition to coerced speech. The latter is indeed something many people today still need to hear, and until certain left-wing movements demonstrate an understanding of the arguments that people like Peterson make, they (rather than he) will remain the bigger problem.

Oh yeah, I really needed Jordan Peterson to realize compelled speech was bad.

Except by "compelled speech" he means some milquetoast anti-discrimination law passed by Canada that hasn't actually compelled anyone to say anything but that reactionaries decided to whip up a panic around. Yup, invaluable contribution to public discourse.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 12:45:05 PM »

Except by "compelled speech" he means some milquetoast anti-discrimination law passed by Canada that hasn't actually compelled anyone to say anything but that reactionaries decided to whip up a panic around. Yup, invaluable contribution to public discourse.

The law in question could be used to imprison people who consistently refuse to use someone's chosen pronouns-- so yes, apparently we do need Peterson around to tell people like you that such things are bad, as you've just demonstrated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 01:04:33 PM »

Samuel Smiles for the 21st century. You can read the implications of that in different ways - please note that I mean all of them.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 01:06:40 PM »

Who?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 01:08:59 PM »

Give him a break, it's not easy being green.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 01:37:17 PM »

The law in question could be used to imprison people who consistently refuse to use someone's chosen pronouns-- so yes, apparently we do need Peterson around to tell people like you that such things are bad, as you've just demonstrated.

This law has been in effect for what, over half a decade now? If it "could be used" for something as far-fetched, that would have happened at least once. The fact that it hasn't suggests to me that JP and yourself are just seeing ghosts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies