UVA: "We believe [one possibility is] it will be the largest Republican majority in the House..." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UVA: "We believe [one possibility is] it will be the largest Republican majority in the House..." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UVA: "We believe [one possibility is] it will be the largest Republican majority in the House..."  (Read 990 times)
coloradocowboi
United States

« on: January 13, 2022, 04:19:55 PM »

Yeah please read the article. They are saying it could under the absolute best case for the GOP. Reading it convinced me for sure they won't lol
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 10:25:46 PM »

Not sure people realize how low the bar is. It doesn't require Republicans to win a single seat that's more than D+5.

Read the article, folks, because this is also not true. According to Kondik and Coleman, the GOP has to win Frank Mrvan's (off the top of my head) seat and plenty of others like it to net this majority. Their path to 35 seats is contingent on the GOP winning every single winnable race, and thus not nominating a lunatic in any of these contests (which they will) lol

The odds right now, per the logic of this article, are high for a GOP takeover, but merely possible in one scenario for the largest GOP majority since the 20s. The bar is therefore somewhere between one inch off the ground and an unattainable height. We can't infer the likelihood of this scenario through supposition
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 11:05:33 AM »

Not sure people realize how low the bar is. It doesn't require Republicans to win a single seat that's more than D+5.

Read the article, folks, because this is also not true.

It is entirely true; in fact, it was too generous by a point. The Republicans don't currently have to win a seat that's worse than D+4, though they would in practice because, as you note, even in waves the winning party will drop a winnable seat or five. They'll also probably drop a seat or two once the New York map is finalized, though that wouldn't push the 35th seat up another point.

We're looking at the same analysis, which I conducted independently myself to verify. Mrvan's district is D+4 according to Cook (before and after redistricting), as would be the 35th pickup seat. (Actually, Mrvan's district is probably more winnable for the Republicans than most D+4 seats and even a couple D+3, so it'd be more like the 27th pickup.)

If the Republican Party actually won every D+5 seat without a loss, it would gain more like 45 seats.

Okay so you’re using Cook PVI not 538 as I had mistakenly assumed. Regardless, as others pointed out below, a seat that is Cool PVI +5 leans as much as 8 or 9 points to the left of an average seat in a neutral environment. So, again, the bar is not low it’s high.

Republicans are so certain this election is gonna be Virginia and NJ, but I’m not. In California, I didn’t even vote in the recall and neither did anybody I know. But Newsom won anyway because the GOP clown car got in the way of their messaging. Again, I’m not saying that the 35 seat scenario is impossible, just very unlikely barring some kind of unforeseen event.

The scenario in this article says republicans have to win 100% of Nevada house seats for this to happen. I don’t think that’s happening, let alone dozens of other lucky breaks just like it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies