The UK with Dems/GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:31:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The UK with Dems/GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The UK with Dems/GOP  (Read 5115 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: January 13, 2022, 10:22:34 AM »

In reality, even with all else being equal both Wales and Scotland would probably be less receptive to a British GOP than that - but maybe England slightly more so.

Agree that our "Dems" would have an in-built advantage though.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2022, 01:39:54 PM by CumbrianLefty »

In reality, even with all else being equal both Wales and Scotland would probably be less receptive to a British GOP than that - but maybe England slightly more so.

Agree that our "Dems" would have an in-built advantage though.

I wonder though if Wales isn't perhaps a bit like West Virginia. There are similarities beyond the superficial.

Maybe a few, arguably. But my point is partly that both Scots and Welsh can be considered "minority" voters in a way, if you are taking a UK context. So maybe a bit comparable to Hispanics in the US.

(and yes they swung GOP last time, but are still majorly Dem)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »

The Democrats would win in a landslide. The UK might be one of the more right-wing countries in Europe, but it's not that right-wing to support the GOP on any level.

"I haven't actually read the original post in this thread" Smiley
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 06:23:43 AM »

Though the poorest voters still *tend* to vote Labour in the UK, and Democrat in the US.

Income still matters, certainly much more than ever more amorphous concepts of "class".
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 10:47:25 AM »

My best/least worst comparison to Vermont would be places like Stroud or the Peak District where Labour are competitive in places that they aren't elsewhere or to be expected on pure demographics. Therefore, I think Vermont could be competitive between Labour and the Conservatives, though I concede its the sort of place that the Lib Dems could do well and the Greens above average.
AIUI, the Labour strength in Stroud since the 90s has been partly down to the personal popularity of the slightly odd David Drew. Before he came around, it had been perpetually out of reach for Labour, and the Liberals even took over second place in the 80s. It's not really clear, at least not to me, how much of it will stick with Labour once he's no longer the eternal candidate. The Greens are already sniffing around the place. All that said, I suppose the reasons for social democratic (as opposed to Democratic) electoral strength in the real Vermont are not that different.

Drew was and is popular, but this may be a case of correlation not wholly equalling causation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies