Why did Hoover win Oklahoma so big in 1928? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:02:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Hoover win Oklahoma so big in 1928? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Hoover win Oklahoma so big in 1928?  (Read 878 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« on: January 12, 2022, 05:29:22 PM »

The Outer South was already more swingy than such Deep South states as South Carolina and Mississippi.  I'm guessing that while the Outer South was also mainly Democratic, fewer black people meant that there were fewer white "yellow dog" Democrats would would vote Democratic no matter what, to make a point about "white supremacy."

Also, Oklahoma could have been even more anti-Catholic than other states, considering how poorly JFK did there in 1960.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 02:02:45 PM »

As much as I doubt this, it's worth throwing the theory that Charles Curtis had particular appeal to Native Americans into the discussion.

Maybe, but oddly enough, the big reservations in my state flipped for Smith, after having gone overwhelmingly for Coolidge four years prior.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 03:50:50 PM »

As much as I doubt this, it's worth throwing the theory that Charles Curtis had particular appeal to Native Americans into the discussion.

Maybe, but oddly enough, the big reservations in my state flipped for Smith, after having gone overwhelmingly for Coolidge four years prior.

Was it a different tribe? I can imagine different tribes might have differing political leanings at times.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply a connection to Oklahoma, just found it interesting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies