Which former Presidents would vote for Trump over Biden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:04:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which former Presidents would vote for Trump over Biden?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which former Presidents would vote for Trump over Biden?  (Read 1214 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2022, 05:13:34 PM »

The only former Presidents who would have voted for Donald Trump in 2016 and 2020 would have been Andrew Jackson, John Tyler, James Polk, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Herbert Hoover. Richard Nixon would have voted for Donald Trump in 2016, but would have turned on him by 2018 or 2019 and instead would have backed Joe Biden and the Democrats in 2020.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2022, 08:38:42 PM »

I don't know who would, but TR NEVER would have voted for Trump.  

Why?

Because TR and Trump are/were both "Republicans" in the same way that the language we're using right now and the language the Anglo-Saxons used 1,000 years ago are/were both "English."  In both cases, the name is the same, but that's where the resemblance ends.  I believe TR would have found Trump utterly appalling.  

I think TR would've liked Trump's immigration, trade, and America-first rhetoric.

He wouldn't have liked his bigotry, or his fantasies about being dictator of the U.S.

...this is Teddy Roosevelt we're talking about.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 09:54:34 PM »

Definitely not Reagan, according to Reagan’s own children. But then again, they are of course less enlightened and knowledgeable about these matters than red avatared hacks.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 03:56:36 PM »

Andrew Jackson and Theodore Roosevelt immediately come to mind.
Andrew Jackson would vote for Satan before he would vote for a New York Businessman.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 09:23:57 PM »

Andrew Jackson and Theodore Roosevelt immediately come to mind.
Andrew Jackson would vote for Satan before he would vote for a New York Businessman.
A New York businessman AND a real estate speculator! Trump is the human embodiment of the Jacksonian boogeyman.
LBJer
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2022, 08:39:23 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2022, 08:54:12 PM by LBJer »

Why?

Because TR and Trump are/were both "Republicans" in the same way that the language we're using right now and the language the Anglo-Saxons used 1,000 years ago are/were both "English."  In both cases, the name is the same, but that's where the resemblance ends.  I believe TR would have found Trump utterly appalling.  

Sorry, but that 1) isn't an argument and 2) isn't where the resemblance ends.  Both were NY Republicans who pushed their party toward a more populist and centrist economic message, all the while having nothing but content for the less nationalistic and decidedly more "liberal" populist elements of the Democratic Party.  Roosevelt was very progressive for a Republican, but there is a reason he hated William Jennings Bryan ... and it was NOT because Bryan was a "bigot."  I love TR, but his lionization by Democrats as a literal-left-winger-who-happened-to-be-a-Republican-because-party-switch is very misguided.  Roosevelt was quite clear that his brand of progressivism was one that decidedly belonged to the center-right, as he saw it, and thought of left-progressives like Wilson and WJB as irresponsible idealogues.

If the two men are so similar, why is TR one of the very few figures (along with people like Washington and Lincoln) to be highly regarded across the political spectrum, while Trump was by far the most divisive president of modern times?  TR did a massive amount for environmental conservation, while Trump couldn't care less about the environment and weakened protection for wild birds.  TR resigned as Assistant Secretary of the Navy to fight in the Spanish-American War, while Trump faked a bone spur injury so he wouldn't be drafted during the Vietnam War, and said that the danger of getting a veneral disease while dating was his "personal Vietnam."  TR actually cared about improving life for ordinary people--Trump did and does not.  

There may be some similarities, but when the two men are looked at in their entirety they are vastly different.  
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2022, 01:37:04 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2022, 01:59:31 AM by Joe McCarthy Was Right »

Why?

I think TR would've liked Trump's immigration, trade, and America-first rhetoric.

He wouldn't have liked his bigotry, or his fantasies about being dictator of the U.S.
A "racially tolerant" Theodore Roosevelt is a fabrication.

https://www.history.com/news/teddy-roosevelt-race-imperialism-national-parks

A difference on environmental issues was a valid point, but I don't agree with you on much else in this thread. Roosevelt wasn't 100% similar or 100% different policy wise, so it would come down to what issues he prioritized the most.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2022, 03:31:20 AM »

You would have to go back before FDR, because most of the post-WWII ones would see him as a threat to the post-WWII international order. Then you would have to subtract the ones who would be turned off by his personality (I really wonder about Calvin Coolidge) or doubt his commitment to protectionism and unilateralism. But at least some of the 19th and early 20th century Republicans. The 18th and early 19th century presidents would probably abstain when they see people other than old propertied Anglo-Americans in line to vote.

Trump is the weirdest and most out-of-place of all the presidents, and that's saying something.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2022, 07:42:42 PM »

I think former president Trump would vote for Trump over Biden.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies