Which former Presidents would vote for Trump over Biden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:08:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which former Presidents would vote for Trump over Biden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which former Presidents would vote for Trump over Biden?  (Read 1213 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2022, 10:15:19 PM »

Imagine that all former Presidents were resurrected and allowed to vote in 2020. How many would've voted for Trump? Which ones?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:16:59 PM »

Resurrected and just, like, given a few hours to hear the candidates speak and choose a candidate?  Because honestly, in that case, a lot of past "liberal" Presidents would vote for Trump simply because of the current cultural attitudes being espoused by the Democratic Party and some due to racism/suspicion of his VP pick.  However, if you mean that they could have "lived forever" and adjusted with the times, I think you'd pretty much see all Democrats in the Twentieth Century as party-line voters for Biden.

Republicans is harder ... obviously, you have many prominent Republicans voting against Trump, including the GOP's most recent President, though I do wonder how much of Bush's decision was personal due to Trump's rather tasteless attacks on his brother.  I think you would have A LOT of Republicans trying to stay quiet and maybe secretly supporting Trump.  I do not think Taft or Ford would have voted for him.  Folks like Eisenhower and Coolidge could have been anywhere from "shy Trump voters" to "shy Biden voters," IMO.  Ironically, to the dismay of many ~progressive~ Democrats here, I actually don't think Teddy Roosevelt would have had any problem voting for Trump, lol.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:51:44 AM »

Depends on whether they are retired or not.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:56:44 AM »

Starting with relatively modern Presidents Coolidge, Hoover, Ford, and Reagan come to mind. I don't see Nixon voting for Trump due to perceived incompetence.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:38:46 AM »

Andrew Jackson and Theodore Roosevelt immediately come to mind.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 05:00:16 AM »

Andrew Jackson would probably not have voted for Trump. Just two words would be needed: Wall and Street. Trump's financial deregulation agenda would likely alienate Jackson pretty severely.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 02:48:14 PM »

Starting with relatively modern Presidents Coolidge, Hoover, Ford, and Reagan come to mind. I don't see Nixon voting for Trump due to perceived incompetence.

I highly doubt that. Ford was one of the most decent presidents personally and a moderate Republican. Why should he vote for Trump?

Reagan at least wouldn't like Trump's trade policies, isolationism and assaults on institutions.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »

I highly doubt that. Ford was one of the most decent presidents personally and a moderate Republican. Why should he vote for Trump?

Reagan at least wouldn't like Trump's trade policies, isolationism and assaults on institutions.

A lot of “decent people” voted for Trump.  I know, it BLOWS YOUR MIND, huh?!
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 07:28:54 PM »

Andrew Jackson would probably not have voted for Trump. Just two words would be needed: Wall and Street. Trump's financial deregulation agenda would likely alienate Jackson pretty severely.
Trump ran against Wall Street in 2016 and there were people who thought Trump was to the left of Hillary on Wall Street regulation.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 07:31:05 PM »

Trump ran against Wall Street in 2016 and there were people who thought Trump was to the left of Hillary on Wall Street regulation.
I suppose Jackson could potentially be a likely Trump voter in 2016, but I was thinking about 2020 there.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 09:09:38 PM »

Definitely Nixon and Reagan.

The rest I'm unsure about.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 10:02:23 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Nixon, Reagan
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »

Andrew Jackson wouldn't vote for a billionaire Northern real estate speculator, lmao. The take that Ford but not Nixon would vote for Trump is also quite bizarre.

Anyway, this may also be wrong but an underrated pick for a solid Trump voter is William Henry Harrison - he was an old reactionary, and it is easy to see parallels between his campaign and Trump's (although admittedly he could not have liked Trump's attitude towards the military at all). His VP John Tyler, who was also a product of the slaveholding Virginia aristocracy, works as well and perhaps even better.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 02:03:20 PM »

I’ve never seen a seriously good articulation of how Trump ran to the left of Hillary on ANY of these types of issues, honestly.  I lived in Iowa at the time, and Hillary absolutely blasted my TV with assertions that Donald Trump is a secret free trader who made a career of outsourcing jobs.
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 03:01:34 PM »

The take that Ford but not Nixon would vote for Trump is also quite bizarre.

Especially after Nixon endorsed Goldwater.

A non-Republican that might have voted for Trump is Millard Fillmore.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »

I’ve never seen a seriously good articulation of how Trump ran to the left of Hillary on ANY of these types of issues, honestly.  I lived in Iowa at the time, and Hillary absolutely blasted my TV with assertions that Donald Trump is a secret free trader who made a career of outsourcing jobs.
I think Trump’s primary campaign being self-funded made people think Trump was to the left of Hillary.
LBJer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 11:56:34 PM »

I don't know who would, but TR NEVER would have voted for Trump. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 11:59:21 AM »

Why?
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 12:33:21 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2022, 01:02:10 PM by Everyone Needs Jesus Christ »

I think quite a few would, especially before the mid 20th century:

Almost certain:
Andrew Jackson
Martin Van Buren
James Polk
Zachary Taylor
Millard Fillmore
Franklin Pierce
James Buchanan
Abraham Lincoln
Andrew Johnson
Ulysses Grant
Rutherford Hayes
James Garfield
Chester Arthur
Teddy Roosevelt
Warren Harding
Richard Nixon

Possibly:
Grover Cleveland: I don't see him supporting Clinton or even Biden for that matter, but his conservatism was different than Trump's and I don't think he would've found either major candidate to be appealing for the same reasons he didn't find McKinley or Bryan to be appealing.
William McKinley: He would've appreciated a tariff man as well as his pro-business stance, but he was also pro-immigration.
Woodrow Wilson: While I would guess he would lean towards Trump based off of his classical Southern/law & order background, he was known to change his political views alongside his party so he could support Clinton in this case. Also he would've been appalled by Trump's perceived anti-intellectualism and if he were to vote for him in 2016, he'd almost certainly vote for Biden in 2020.
Calvin Coolidge: I would guess he would based off his presidential record but as a governor he was far more moderate so I think he would've supported someone like Jorgenson.
Herbert Hoover: He would've liked Trump's defense of the tariff, but that's where there similarities end.
Ronald Reagan: Possibly but more likely in his 2nd term than his first term. Perhaps someone like Pat Buchanan and Roger Ailes could convince him in the general but I don't think Trump would've been his first choice in the primary. I think after Biden's election, he'd stand with Cheney and Kinzinger though.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 12:38:09 PM »

Based off of his personal record, I have reason to suspect that Ford would've opposed the Iraq War if he was involved in politics during that time. I don't know if he would've endorsed Obama, but I'm almost certain he would've endorsed Biden if he was still alive.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 12:39:38 PM »

Trump criticized Biden's ties to Wall Street during the debate as well.
LBJer
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »

Why?

Because TR and Trump are/were both "Republicans" in the same way that the language we're using right now and the language the Anglo-Saxons used 1,000 years ago are/were both "English."  In both cases, the name is the same, but that's where the resemblance ends.  I believe TR would have found Trump utterly appalling.  
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 12:54:50 PM »

Why?

Because TR and Trump are/were both "Republicans" in the same way that the language we're using right now and the language the Anglo-Saxons used 1,000 years ago are/were both "English."  In both cases, the name is the same, but that's where the resemblance ends.  I believe TR would have found Trump utterly appalling.  

I think TR would've liked Trump's immigration, trade, and America-first rhetoric.
LBJer
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2022, 01:01:58 PM »

Why?

I think TR would've liked Trump's immigration, trade, and America-first rhetoric.

He wouldn't have liked his bigotry, or his fantasies about being dictator of the U.S.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2022, 02:08:09 PM »

Why?

Sorry, but that 1) isn't an argument and 2) isn't where the resemblance ends.  Both were NY Republicans who pushed their party toward a more populist and centrist economic message, all the while having nothing but content for the less nationalistic and decidedly more "liberal" populist elements of the Democratic Party.  Roosevelt was very progressive for a Republican, but there is a reason he hated William Jennings Bryan ... and it was NOT because Bryan was a "bigot."  I love TR, but his lionization by Democrats as a literal-left-winger-who-happened-to-be-a-Republican-because-party-switch is very misguided.  Roosevelt was quite clear that his brand of progressivism was one that decidedly belonged to the center-right, as he saw it, and thought of left-progressives like Wilson and WJB as irresponsible idealogues.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies