Why don't Democrats invest more into Nevada?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:19:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why don't Democrats invest more into Nevada?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why don't Democrats invest more into Nevada?  (Read 533 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2022, 07:19:17 PM »
« edited: January 06, 2022, 07:22:49 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

Seriously? The state provides 6 EVs and 2 Senators, but was way too close for comfort in 2022 and there's a good chance Dems lose CCM's seat in 2022.

At face value, one would probably suspect Nevada to be bluer than it actually is; the state is incredibly urban and pretty diverse, although educational attainment is low. Las Vegas metro contains about 2/3rds of the state's population, yet cycle after cycle, especially the city proper and heavily minority areas have some pretty abysmal turnout comparative to most other swing state cities. I don't live in Nevada, but from what I hear (or don't hear) it seems like there really aren't as strong of turnout efforts and voter registration efforts compared to some other swing states.

Assuming Washoe County is a net wash (overall it'll probably start reliably netting vote for Ds if trends continue), your job is to get a County largely concentrated in 1 major city of 2.3 million to outvote about 450k people worth of rural/exurban areas.

Overall, it just seems like it wouldn't be *that* hard for Dems to pull Nevada more into their column (think D + 8/10 like VA or CO). It's important to them, mostly for the Senate but if they could add it to their firewall in the EC it could matter in a close election and deprives the GOP of several possible pathways to victory.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 07:39:16 PM »

I feel like the national party largely left organizing to Harry Reid's machine. Reid was a master at getting members of the Culinary Union (many of whom are non-college Latinos) to turn out for Democrats. He is a major part of the reason Democrats have been so successful in the state in the past few cycles.

But the state party was recently taken over by DSA types and the man himself is now dead. So the future of the machine is now in question.

I agree that they shouldn't get cocky and the progress they've made could easily slip.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 07:51:37 PM »

I feel like the national party largely left organizing to Harry Reid's machine. Reid was a master at getting members of the Culinary Union (many of whom are non-college Latinos) to turn out for Democrats. He is a major part of the reason Democrats have been so successful in the state in the past few cycles.

But the state party was recently taken over by DSA types and the man himself is now dead. So the future of the machine is now in question.

I agree that they shouldn't get cocky and the progress they've made could easily slip.

Ye in 2018 Rosen’s campaign was run almost exclusively on an anti-Trump message pretty much, and winning by 5% really isn’t that impressive considering it was a D wave. Dems seem to think that they just “have the votes” in Nevada to he merely anti-Republican, when I think the state party needs more of a message themselves
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 09:52:15 PM »

Ye in 2018 Rosen’s campaign was run almost exclusively on an anti-Trump message pretty much, and winning by 5% really isn’t that impressive considering it was a D wave. Dems seem to think that they just “have the votes” in Nevada to he merely anti-Republican, when I think the state party needs more of a message themselves

OTOH, most statewide Democrats either just scraped by or won by around 4% -/+, aside from Marshall's relative over-performance. Rosen's win was almost top of their ticket.

I do agree Democrats will need to put more work in here, though. But aside from tangible gains in turnout from organizing, there are limits to what their messaging can do. It doesn't really matter what they say if people aren't going to vote anyway and the ones that do are mostly taking cues from national figures and media sources.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 10:43:34 PM »

The Reid machine, Mexican-American enthusiasm for Obama and anathema for Trump, and the Californian diaspora have been doing most of the legwork. Republicans had a decent shot for the state in 2020 with friction between labor and Democrats, the first POC president being an increasingly distant memory, Mexican-Americans breaking strongly for Sanders, and the lockdowns hurting labor and POC, but they still lost. Republicans aren't going to spend all their resources for a mere 6 electoral votes and Democrats know that. If Democrats are completely screwed in a near future election, it's a possible flip, but otherwise it'll stay right where it is and no one will bother fighting for it.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 11:49:46 PM »

Who’s to say they don’t
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 07:01:42 AM »

Due to fact it's a Latino state but D's are gonna win the blue Wall in this Environment there is huge income inequality and there is a homeless problem in NV among LATINOS, so CCM and SISOLAK are gonna win

Laxalt and Rs were overstated in 2018 and the Rs LOST
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies