Why did the Governor candidates fail to get attention?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:13:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why did the Governor candidates fail to get attention?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did the Governor candidates fail to get attention?  (Read 1738 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2022, 02:10:27 AM »

For example, Jay Inslee didn’t get any attention.
bayareabay
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 04:00:07 PM »

Jay Inslee was a democratic incumbent running for governor in a deep blue state. There was no reason to think he would lose his seat.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 04:31:31 PM »

Nationalization of politics gives Senators and members of Congress higher name ID and allows them to talk about issues people are more focused on.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 05:45:35 PM »

Nationalization of politics gives Senators and members of Congress higher name ID and allows them to talk about issues people are more focused on.

On the flipside though, I feel governors have a massive leg up going into 2024 from running Covid response in their states (provided it's an open contest and not Biden and Trump as nominees).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 07:08:59 PM »

On the flipside though, I feel governors have a massive leg up going into 2024 from running Covid response in their states (provided it's an open contest and not Biden and Trump as nominees).

Really? I feel like it's a massive hinderance, since basically any response is either going to be seen as incompetence or authoritarian.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 07:25:37 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2022, 07:32:53 AM by StateBoiler »

Really? I feel like it's a massive hinderance, since basically any response is either going to be seen as incompetence or authoritarian.

What's the major issue driving this country the past 2 years? Covid.

What the f#ck have Senators done about Covid? Pretty much nothing beyond spend money. (And it's not even worth mentioning people in the House.)

Meanwhile, the Governors have had massive responsibility for Covid response and decision-making and have actually been doing sh*t having an impact on people's everyday life.

Yeah, that's the George W. Bush/Barack Obama/Donald Trump path to power: I have done nothing in my political career so am a blank slate and have no record to defend unlike my opponents. But Covid has been a national existential crisis, and therefore in the event of an open race in both parties, governors will have a huge advantage as far as perceived competency to run the country and being battle-tested. If we end up with a Governor vs. Senator matchup in the 2024 general, I'll bet $100 the governor wins, regardless of which is which party.

The Republican nominee in the event Trump does not run is almost certainly a governor or former governor.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 10:05:34 AM »

Because they were lower profile politicians running in a crowded field that consisted a former VP, the runner-up from last time and the most prominent Dem senators. Neither was there anything special about Inslee and Bullock, like it was the case with Butti (who was both young and LGBT).
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 09:06:09 PM »

Polis says hi
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 09:06:54 PM »

Polis says hi

Frankly, so does DeSantis. There's a reason he's widely seen as the top non-Trump candidate.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 11:50:27 PM »

What's the major issue driving this country the past 2 years? Covid.

What the f#ck have Senators done about Covid? Pretty much nothing beyond spend money. (And it's not even worth mentioning people in the House.)

Meanwhile, the Governors have had massive responsibility for Covid response and decision-making and have actually been doing sh*t having an impact on people's everyday life.

Yeah, that's the George W. Bush/Barack Obama/Donald Trump path to power: I have done nothing in my political career so am a blank slate and have no record to defend unlike my opponents. But Covid has been a national existential crisis, and therefore in the event of an open race in both parties, governors will have a huge advantage as far as perceived competency to run the country and being battle-tested. If we end up with a Governor vs. Senator matchup in the 2024 general, I'll bet $100 the governor wins, regardless of which is which party.

The Republican nominee in the event Trump does not run is almost certainly a governor or former governor.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but the person you are replying to has a good point. Whitmer (D-MI) for instance is a very polarizing figure because the right thinks she's a dictator and they hate her and the mandates. Same thing for Brown (D-OR) and Newsom (D-CA; he literally faced a recall over COVID19 policy). If you handle COVID19 well in your state and walk the fine line between not going so far that you're unpopular and not doing so less you're unpopular, it can have dividends. But few governors have been able to do that. Roy Cooper (D-NC) I think is a good example of how to make this work, since he won by such a decent amount (4.5% in a Trump state isn't bad) largely because people approved of his COVID19 policy. But like I said, it depends on specifics and it's hard to master this art perfectly. Senators, on the other hand, face no risk and no reward since like you said, all they do is vote on stimulus (so while they might get hurt, they get hurt minimally and while they might get a boost, the boost is minimal).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 06:21:50 PM »

Polis says hi

Frankly, so does DeSantis. There's a reason he's widely seen as the top non-Trump candidate.

Helping increase COVID19 deaths and firing people who suggest getting vaccinated from their government jobs makes him a rising star? Shows how horrible today's GOP is, honestly.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 06:30:39 PM »

Tbh most Americans can’t name their governor. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was much higher
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 10:31:50 PM »

No one wanted an outsider, they wanted an insider...purely a knee-jerk id response to Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies