Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:16:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities?  (Read 3063 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« on: July 08, 2023, 09:52:40 PM »
« edited: July 08, 2023, 10:02:48 PM by Communism Enjoyer »

This was something that was hyped up a lot when peak oil doomerism was big and an energy crisis presaged the Great Recession...before the dramatic increase in US oil production started to cause a noticeable downward pressure on transportation costs in the mid-2010s. While I don't think we'll disperse nearly as much as was hyped up during COVID- remote work can't be nearly that widespread and people still want to live close to amenities- it looks like the suburbanization trend is here to stay. This is just a gentrifier thing.

Something will have to be done about the commuting situation in Houston, though, because it's going to be a crisis someday. The sprawl is too big and the traffic congestion is crazy. As much as I miss Texas I don't know how I could have done it there. Packing people in the inner-city again won't be a solution though, for quality of life or for sustainability (I'm skeptical that the technologies that could support a sustainable high-density city like vertical farming will ever be as productive and comparatively energy efficient as field farming).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies