Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:13:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities?  (Read 3056 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »
« edited: December 31, 2021, 02:42:30 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

In many of the US's largest cities, CBDs of large cities like NYC, Philly, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Seattle, all saw signigicantly higher growth rates than their surrounding communities, typically minority heavy. Infact in the case of NY and IL, the growth of these communities was the highest of anywhere in the state from 2010 and were a large reason states like NY and NJ overperformed. Infact, the old IL-07 was actually the only IL seat to be overpopulated despite IL losing a seat. Seats like MA-07, NY-12, and NJ-08 are actually the most underpopulated in the entire states. And this is all despite covid which supposedly made these sorts of communities undesireable.

Is this a trend that we could continue to see? What's interesting is that these CBDs build up, meaning a plot of land that may traditionally support say 10 single family homes can support an apartment building home to 100s of families. Might we see a new category of "hyper-urban" communities significantly denser than really anything we're currently seeing?

FYI, CBD refers to the area at the very center of the city, typically where skyscrapers are and where most of the large corporations are located. Generally, most highways and transportation either revolve around or lead to this area.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:54:00 PM »

Hoboken, NJ is in a state of continual war as big time developers try to break out of the bulk constraints to build residential buildings much taller than the 4 to 5 story structures currently allowed. That is why the one square mile city went from 50,000 to 60,000 in the last 10 years.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 05:46:49 PM »

Crossing my fingers that this happens on the West Coast.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »

Is this a trend that we could continue to see? What's interesting is that these CBDs build up, meaning a plot of land that may traditionally support say 10 single family homes can support an apartment building home to 100s of families. Might we see a new category of "hyper-urban" communities significantly denser than really anything we're currently seeing?

It will remain pretty limited as "gentrification" and the supposed "return to cities" have been simply due to space constraints making this phenomenon applicable to only several hundred thousands or a few million people at most unless it extends to more neighbourhoods outside of the downtown core and perhaps more importantly is able to keep in middle class families not just recent college graduates and single professionals.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 10:46:21 PM »

Hoboken, NJ is in a state of continual war as big time developers try to break out of the bulk constraints to build residential buildings much taller than the 4 to 5 story structures currently allowed. That is why the one square mile city went from 50,000 to 60,000 in the last 10 years.
Hoboken's population density, for sure, reaches among the highest in America. It's now at twice the population density of Tokyo.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 11:01:58 PM »

Hoboken's population density, for sure, reaches among the highest in America. It's now at twice the population density of Tokyo.

Neither Hoboken nor Tokyo have anything on this list. The US has 4 neighborhoods in Manhattan and 1 in the Bronx.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_city_districts_by_population_density
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 11:19:43 PM »

Neither Hoboken nor Tokyo have anything on this list. The US has 4 neighborhoods in Manhattan and 1 in the Bronx.

Reminds me of this.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 11:26:16 AM »

Hoboken is the 67th mot densely populated city in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population_density
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 03:20:06 PM »

The Downtown Nashville precinct is noticeably more Republican than anything that surrounds it.  I have to assume it is due to luxury condo buildings there.  It wouldn't surprise me if those sorts of buildings (in TN, at least) are competitive for Republicans.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 06:54:57 PM »

It will remain pretty limited as "gentrification" and the supposed "return to cities" have been simply due to space constraints making this phenomenon applicable to only several hundred thousands or a few million people at most unless it extends to more neighbourhoods outside of the downtown core and perhaps more importantly is able to keep in middle class families not just recent college graduates and single professionals.

A bit off topic, but relevant to density in Los Angeles proper:

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 09:06:49 PM »

Nice video!
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 09:21:07 PM »

The Downtown Nashville precinct is noticeably more Republican than anything that surrounds it.  I have to assume it is due to luxury condo buildings there.  It wouldn't surprise me if those sorts of buildings (in TN, at least) are competitive for Republicans.

Def very interesting observation. Bet it also gotta do with the immediate downtown being whiter than the surrounding areas. Biden clean-sweeped downtown in 2020 it looks like, with only 1 very low population precinct going to Trump (has 3 votes on DRA lol). Seems like the CBD also saw a massive turnout bump in 2020, padding Biden's raw vote margin even though the shift was pretty neutral. Seems like Rs can hold the margin relatively close but would struggle to outright win the CBD.

Reminds me of Houston where Cornyn I believe outright won the CBD in Houston despite a doughnut of blue around it iirc. Nowadays though I think it's too far gone for any R
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 10:44:20 PM »

I didn't know this but it might make sense given Nashville is not only the state capital but the headquarters of organizations such as the Southern Baptist Convention.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 11:09:52 PM »

Hoboken is the 67th mot densely populated city in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population_density

Sure, but quite a lot of neighborhoods that are bigger beat it.
Also, funny enough, it's both the 4th most densely populated city in the US and the 4th most densely populated city in Hudson county, NJ.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 01:29:27 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2022, 01:34:10 AM by DT »

I didn't know this but it might make sense given Nashville is not only the state capital but the headquarters of organizations such as the Southern Baptist Convention.

It's a pattern observed in other cities too, and not just in the South.  The CBDs of most U.S. cities are more White than other urban neighborhoods (and the White people who tend to live in CBDs are more of the "older suits in a glass penthouse"-type rather than the "kombucha-drinking gentrifiers"-type.)  It's a small demographic and is distributed differently in different metroes, but you can find traces of it with a fine-tooth comb when looking at precinct results.  It sticks out more in cities like Nashville or Houston just because of how Republican the White vote is in these places. 
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 01:33:23 AM »

It's a pattern observed in other cities too, and not just in the South.  The CBDs of most U.S. cities are more White than other urban neighborhoods (and the White people who tend to live in CBDs are more of the "suits in a glass penthouse"-type rather than the "kombucha-drinking gentrifiers"-type.)  It's a small demographic and is distributed differently in different metroes, but you can find traces of it with a fine-tooth comb when looking at precinct results.  It sticks out more in cities like Nashville or Houston just because of how Republican the White vote is in these places. 
After doing NC in DRA, I can attest to how White the Charlotte CBD is.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 01:26:59 PM »

It's a pattern observed in other cities too, and not just in the South.  The CBDs of most U.S. cities are more White than other urban neighborhoods (and the White people who tend to live in CBDs are more of the "suits in a glass penthouse"-type rather than the "kombucha-drinking gentrifiers"-type.)  It's a small demographic and is distributed differently in different metroes, but you can find traces of it with a fine-tooth comb when looking at precinct results.  It sticks out more in cities like Nashville or Houston just because of how Republican the White vote is in these places. 

It is fairly White but Uptown isn't monolithically so--only 56%, and a little under 1/3rd Black.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 02:00:40 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2022, 02:04:31 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

The Downtown Nashville precinct is noticeably more Republican than anything that surrounds it.  I have to assume it is due to luxury condo buildings there.  It wouldn't surprise me if those sorts of buildings (in TN, at least) are competitive for Republicans.

It's a pattern observed in other cities too, and not just in the South.  The CBDs of most U.S. cities are more White than other urban neighborhoods (and the White people who tend to live in CBDs are more of the "suits in a glass penthouse"-type rather than the "kombucha-drinking gentrifiers"-type.)  It's a small demographic and is distributed differently in different metroes, but you can find traces of it with a fine-tooth comb when looking at precinct results.  It sticks out more in cities like Nashville or Houston just because of how Republican the White vote is in these places.  

It is fairly White but Uptown isn't monolithically so--only 56%, and a little under 1/3rd Black.
It's interesting how that is basically opposite from Dallas. The Dallas CBD (which is barely populated, tbf) has significant black minorities (being closer to the heart of the black areas of the city) while Uptown (which is to say, Deep Ellum) is extremely white, with many precincts well over 80% white. (NHW)
In Dallas the farther north you get the whiter it becomes. In Charlotte the farther north you get the blacker it becomes (generally). So in these cases the CBDs and Uptowns reflect transition areas.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 02:17:40 PM »

The Downtown Nashville precinct is noticeably more Republican than anything that surrounds it.  I have to assume it is due to luxury condo buildings there.  It wouldn't surprise me if those sorts of buildings (in TN, at least) are competitive for Republicans.

It's a pattern observed in other cities too, and not just in the South.  The CBDs of most U.S. cities are more White than other urban neighborhoods (and the White people who tend to live in CBDs are more of the "suits in a glass penthouse"-type rather than the "kombucha-drinking gentrifiers"-type.)  It's a small demographic and is distributed differently in different metroes, but you can find traces of it with a fine-tooth comb when looking at precinct results.  It sticks out more in cities like Nashville or Houston just because of how Republican the White vote is in these places.  

It's interesting how that is basically opposite from Dallas. The Dallas CBD (which is barely populated, tbf) has significant black minorities (being closer to the heart of the black areas of the city) while Uptown (which is to say, Deep Ellum) is extremely white, with many precincts well over 80% white. (NHW)
In Dallas the farther north you get the whiter it becomes. In Charlotte the farther north you get the blacker it becomes (generally). So in these cases the CBDs and Uptowns reflect transition areas.

I'm not sure if I totally understand your post--I might just be thick--but aren't Dallas's Uptown and Deep Ellum different areas with fairly different racial demographics?

Uptown Charlotte=Charlotte CBD, fwiw.

Interestingly, the Northern/Western portions of Uptown Charlotte are actually whiter than the Southern/Eastern portions, which has the still fairly Black First Ward area. This is the opposite of the typical pattern in Charlotte, since South Charlotte is the rich white favored quarter overall and the neighborhoods to the immediate east of Uptown are fairly white these days due to gentrification (places like NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, etc. seem like the kind of places BRTD would live in in Charlotte).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 02:26:11 PM »

I'm not sure if I totally understand your post--I might just be thick--but aren't Dallas's Uptown and Deep Ellum different areas with fairly different racial demographics?

Uptown Charlotte=Charlotte CBD, fwiw.

Interestingly, the Northern/Western portions of Uptown Charlotte are actually whiter than the Southern/Eastern portions, which has the still fairly Black First Ward area. This is the opposite of the typical pattern in Charlotte, since South Charlotte is the rich white favored quarter overall and the neighborhoods to the immediate east of Uptown are fairly white these days due to gentrification (places like NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, etc. seem like the kind of places BRTD would live in in Charlotte).
Your idea is correct, lol. I associated the two together but they are quite distinct geographically.
Uptown Dallas is still heavily white of course, and covers the territory I was thinking about. I didn't actually know Deep Ellum was in *East Dallas*.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 09:37:31 PM »

Nice video!

Since you're from the Dallas area, here's another one (Beet, PQG, IndyTexas, EElis02, other Houston area members- please don't take this personally!)

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 09:40:05 PM »

Nice video!

Since you're from the Dallas area, here's another one (Beet, PQG, IndyTexas, EElis02, other Houston area members- please don't take this personally!)

Thanks for the video! Will check it out later.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 10:14:48 PM »

Does anyone know where I can find a precint map for this ?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 12:44:28 AM »

DRA shows it pretty clearly
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 01:43:17 AM »

DRA shows it pretty clearly
Oh interesting, yeah the downtown precinct is only 56-41 Biden which is pretty dammn conservative for an urban downtown
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies