Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:33:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Underrated Growth of Central Business Districts of Large Cities?  (Read 3086 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: December 31, 2021, 05:46:49 PM »

Crossing my fingers that this happens on the West Coast.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 06:54:57 PM »

Is this a trend that we could continue to see? What's interesting is that these CBDs build up, meaning a plot of land that may traditionally support say 10 single family homes can support an apartment building home to 100s of families. Might we see a new category of "hyper-urban" communities significantly denser than really anything we're currently seeing?

It will remain pretty limited as "gentrification" and the supposed "return to cities" have been simply due to space constraints making this phenomenon applicable to only several hundred thousands or a few million people at most unless it extends to more neighbourhoods outside of the downtown core and perhaps more importantly is able to keep in middle class families not just recent college graduates and single professionals.

A bit off topic, but relevant to density in Los Angeles proper:

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 09:37:31 PM »

Is this a trend that we could continue to see? What's interesting is that these CBDs build up, meaning a plot of land that may traditionally support say 10 single family homes can support an apartment building home to 100s of families. Might we see a new category of "hyper-urban" communities significantly denser than really anything we're currently seeing?

It will remain pretty limited as "gentrification" and the supposed "return to cities" have been simply due to space constraints making this phenomenon applicable to only several hundred thousands or a few million people at most unless it extends to more neighbourhoods outside of the downtown core and perhaps more importantly is able to keep in middle class families not just recent college graduates and single professionals.

A bit off topic, but relevant to density in Los Angeles proper:

Nice video!

Since you're from the Dallas area, here's another one (Beet, PQG, IndyTexas, EElis02, other Houston area members- please don't take this personally!)

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 11:07:49 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2023, 11:11:50 PM by khuzifenq »

Fun fact; in Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Wisconsin, the fastest growing state House district (on old lines) takes in the entirety of or a significant portion of the downtown/financial district of the state's "main" city. In NY, the fastest growing district is Williamsburg based AD-50 which is extremely dense with large apartment blocks and across the river from Manhattan, but would not be considered part of the downtown area itself. The third fastest growing NY district is the one that actually takes in the heart of midtown. And if it weren't for Lakewood, NJ's fastest would be the district that takes in most of the Waterfront Jersey City area which again is just across the river from Manhattan and extremely built up at this point with large 50 floor apartment buildings.

What district is it for Illinois/what is your source?  I live in Gold Coast and absolutely love it/Chicago, but I find that difficult to believe.  

HD-05, which grew by a total of 20% since 2010. Tbf, there's no one district that truly represents downtown Chicago, but HD-05 takes in the most and has the highest share of it's population from the Loop/Magnificent Mile area.

If you were to draw a HD that actually maximizes downtown Chicago such as the one below, you get even higher population growths. According to DRA, this district's total population would've grown by 37% since 2010. Literally no other HD in the entire state of IL comes remotely close.

-snip-

Source:
https://www.redistrictingandyou.org/?mapData=popchgpct1020&districtType=stateleglower&geoid=17005&markerL=41.8210%2C-87.6212#map=11.62/41.8594/-87.6125

Thanks for posting the source. The Oregon State House Districts that experienced the most growth don't surprise me, I'm not surprised to see the ones that contain the Intel campuses and the exurban Washington County one up there along with Deschutes County. The one with the highest growth isn't exurban but it does contain a trendy chunk of the I-405 loop of Portland proper and a fair chunk of unincorporated suburbia.

Not familiar enough with growth patterns on the Washington side to really comment, but it's interesting how the CD containing downtown Vancouver decreased in population.

The higher-growth CDs in King County in darker purple make intuitive sense to me. Gentrifying/more gentrified areas of Seattle proper north of downtown with lots of newer buildings, the Bellevue-Redmond CD around the Microsoft campus, and the Bothell-centered CD containing a lot of newly built housing tracts in Snohomish County.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 07:38:40 PM »

Re: population decline in Metro Los Angeles

I see you're from Los Angeles. Can you tell me what happened in 2017 that caused housing supply to stop being built? Is that because of governor Newsom being sworn in (actually IDK when that happened), or mayors statewide enacting some policies? Or was it that housing stopped being built a long time ago and only recently had the housing stock run out?

This problem certainly predates Newsom on housing. He certainly hasn't done anything to fix it--for which I despise him--but he also isn't at fault for creating the problem in the first place.

Our saga truly begins in the 1980s...

By 2017, you don't just have these two big structural problems (there is no more undeveloped land and cities won't upzone single-family areas, the only projects getting permitted are expensive high rises backed by a small handful of venture-capital firms) but you have a few demographic trends finally becoming dominant. First off, Silicon Valley and Hollywood are absolutely booming. This is great--we are so lucky to have these world-class industries--but if a bunch of high-payed singles or couples in these industries are replacing families in a fixed number of housing units, population is going to shrink. Second, California saw a massive immigration wave in the 1980s. For decades, 4-8 person families (usually of Mexican or Vietnamese origin) lived in working class neighborhoods in Southeast Los Angeles, Northwest Orange County, and the South Bay. As these families became wealthier and followed the general American trend of having fewer children, these neighborhoods have seen their median household size shrink by ~50%. When you look at what parts of California are actually shrinking, instead of being stagnant or slowly growing, it's these neighborhoods.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies