Anyone else stunned at how far right Florida has shifted? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:08:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Anyone else stunned at how far right Florida has shifted? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else stunned at how far right Florida has shifted?  (Read 2557 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: December 28, 2021, 07:17:39 PM »

The fact that DeSantis and Scott won in a year like 2018 shows you that Florida had already shifted pretty right. It was a +8 Dem year so Florida voted more than 8 points more Republican than the nation in 2018 which was pretty much how it voted in 2020.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 03:31:13 AM »

To my GOP friends, proceed with caution on your chances here in 2024. Don’t think you’ve got this one in the bag. 😀 trump wasn’t the first losing Republican incumbent to win Florida in modern history. 1992 comes to mind immediately. And then 1996 came.

This isn’t a great comparison given that Bush won FL by over 20 points in 1988 and it was considered stunning that it was close to begin with not that Bush won the state
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 04:35:20 PM »

I will also add that not having Florida in play makes it harder for Democrats to do anything. Eventually they will have to win there again somehow unless Democrats get their act together in places like Texas, Montana, and Arizona.

Is it though? Florida only went to trump by 3.3%. That’s hardly out of reach in a good year. I wish Dems wouldn’t throw in the towel here. Every statewide office sans Fried’s is Republican right now, and there’s no real accountability or checks and balances right now and we need it!

Republicans like to complain that Cali/NY/Illinois are one party states in complete disarray due to muh…..no accountability. All righty then….I’ll play that game. They need to look in the mirror in places like Texas/Florida/Deep South, etc. where they hardly are on firm ground when they argue they don’t have a seat at the table in solidly blue states.

I’d love to see an election like 1960 where almost all 50 states are in play.

Yeah, you're right. Somehow I feel like Democrats need more of a fighting mentality. I mean, they're discussing surrendering states that voted Republican by three points or in some cases even less, while Republicans contest states they lost by ten the last time.

The problem in Florida for the Democrats is more than Miami-Dade though as keep in mind that Hillary won Miami-Dade by 30 points and still lost the state by over 100k votes. The main problems is that working class voters in Central Florida shifted hard to the right from 2012 to 2016(just like they did in the Rust Belt) and winning Florida requires a combination of getting Hillary 2016 Numbers in South Florida and getting near Obama 2012 numbers in Central numbers and that just is an extremely tough lift for any Democrat to do.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies