Are there any cities or towns that never voted Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:13:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are there any cities or towns that never voted Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are there any cities or towns that never voted Republican?  (Read 318 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2021, 12:01:02 AM »

I know there are probably cities and towns that never voted Republican, but are there any that had never voted Democrat outside the South? I know there's DC but that doesn't count since it didn't have voting representation until 1964.
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 12:32:33 PM »

I think there are a few counties in eastern Tennessee that voted for the Whigs and then for the Republicans for their entire history. Doniphan County, Kansas also has never voted for a Democratic candidate.

I don't know if there's any inverse to that. Maybe a county in the Black Belt of the South that voted for the Democrats throughout all of Jim Crow and remained Democratic while African Americans got the vote? Though I think those counties still voted for the GOP during Reconstruction.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 12:39:48 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2021, 06:16:41 PM by 1984 is my instruction manual »

Washington DC has a name yknow.

Wow, two can edit their comment afterwards while pretending not to.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 03:09:17 PM »

I think there are a few counties in eastern Tennessee that voted for the Whigs and then for the Republicans for their entire history. Doniphan County, Kansas also has never voted for a Democratic candidate.

I don't know if there's any inverse to that. Maybe a county in the Black Belt of the South that voted for the Democrats throughout all of Jim Crow and remained Democratic while African Americans got the vote? Though I think those counties still voted for the GOP during Reconstruction.

Sparta, Georgia, is often speculated as a possibility for a town with an unbroken Democratic streak. Hancock County has voted Democratic in every election from 1852 onwards except 1972, and even then McGovern got 48%. Sparta is currently Blacker than the county as a whole, but I don't know if that was always the case.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »

There are several counties in South Texas which have never voted Republican in a presidential election, so there's a decent shot of cities in that region possessing this distinction.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 03:34:32 PM »

Northampton County, NC, last voted Republican in 1896, so it's possible that there are similar streaks there depending on demographic change.

There are several counties in South Texas which have never voted Republican in a presidential election, so there's a decent shot of cities in that region possessing this distinction.

That part of South Texas was once heavily controlled by Republican machines, and the counties that those two were formed from appear to have been competitive in the WJB era, so depending on settlement time and patterns this might not be the case.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 02:30:05 PM »

That part of South Texas was once heavily controlled by Republican machines, and the counties that those two were formed from appear to have been competitive in the WJB era, so depending on settlement time and patterns this might not be the case.
Interesting to hear.
When would you say the period of time when Rs were competitive in South Texas was over?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies