Madison Cawthorn is getting divorced 8 months into marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:46:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Madison Cawthorn is getting divorced 8 months into marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Madison Cawthorn is getting divorced 8 months into marriage  (Read 2943 times)
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/587043-rep-madison-cawthorn-and-wife-to-divorce
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 08:19:39 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2021, 08:37:16 PM by Crumpets »

Speaking as someone two years older than Cawthorn who worked in DC, I know literally zero people there my age or younger who are married and work in anything government or government-adjacent. It's just not a thing to be in the DC policy sphere and get married in your 20s. Unfortunately for Cawthorn, he found this out the hard way.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 08:34:22 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2021, 08:50:04 PM by Our Enemy, the Irish »

Good to know that his pro-drop out stance extends to his personal life as well. Salut.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »

Can't wait for his exciting speech where he tells the kids to get divorced too.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 08:46:10 PM »

He claims it's due to him going to Congress.
I agree, but it's probably because his wife is seeing/hearing the disgusting, wacked-out, trump-supporting stance and statements he is making.
She sees him becoming a NutJob, and she is right. So she says Sayounara.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 08:47:39 PM »

I mean, when like half the women at the college he dropped out of said he was a sexual predator I can’t say I’m surprised. I’ve never met him personally, but every thing I know or see of him doesn’t make me think he’s a great partner

https://www.vox.com/2021/2/27/22304703/madison-cawthorn-sexual-harassment-college

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/politics/madison-cawthorn-sexual-misconduct-allegations/index.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/madison-cawthorn-sexual-harassment-republican-b1810883.html

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 08:58:25 PM »

I agree, but it's probably because his wife is seeing/hearing the disgusting, wacked-out, trump-supporting stance and statements he is making.

But he was fully doing that well before they got married.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 09:38:24 PM »

That's funny, I'm his age and got married in November. Hopefully I can last until at least July to beat him.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 09:41:57 PM »

Cawthown may be a clown buy let's not pile on the man for his relationship issues.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 09:59:39 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2021, 10:06:57 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

You are truly sick to post this.

My first marriage lasted 6 months.  It was a mistake and a personal tragedy.  If you have that little empathy for a man in a wheelchair who, for whatever reason, was unable to succeed in marriage, you have become deranged by your own hatreds.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 10:33:16 PM »

This thread serves as a reminder to me of how old I am. Cawthorn is only three years my senior, and is someone who has already been married and is getting a divorce. Of course, there are people my age and younger who are married and who have children of their own.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 10:33:38 PM »

who is that
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 10:36:02 PM »

I got married when I was 27 and lived in DC, and the marriage also fell apart about a year later, so I can sympathize.

Didn’t get married again until I was 40 with a different career in a much different area.  (Fingers crossed!…2.5 years into this one now with a beautiful daughter.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 10:41:50 PM »

Speaking as someone two years older than Cawthorn who worked in DC, I know literally zero people there my age or younger who are married and work in anything government or government-adjacent. It's just not a thing to be in the DC policy sphere and get married in your 20s. Unfortunately for Cawthorn, he found this out the hard way.

I'm curious, how diverse were your social circles in terms of geographic origin and politics and levels of religiosity and the like? It may be that what you describe is specific to "the DC policy sphere", but I think that it's more generally true of white people from the professional/managerial class, particularly if they're not from the South, which means that for people who don't check all of those boxes things can be different. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that that's true even for people who live and work in DC.

I recall that when I lived in Georgia I was once driving a (very drunk) friend home when she started crying because by her age her brother and sister had both met their future spouses and she didn't have anyone yet. At the time she was 23.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 11:08:12 PM »

I often say that Republican Christians use the Bible for toilet paper but now I'm not so sure they even use it for that, because you'd think they might occasionally catch a glimpse of a word or two in the process.

And anyone who wants to accuse me of being classless for attacking Cawthorn in this way, perhaps you're right, but Cawthorn is one of many opportunists using a religion he doesn't even respect as a political prop to empower himself and elevate himself. The second he shuts the hell up about his phony-baloney Christian values then I will extend the same courtesy, but until that happens, comments like mine are fair game when applied to his ilk.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 11:49:25 PM »

Very regrettable and very surprising, given that Madison Cawthorn struck me as a very loyal man who wouldn’t let his looks, fame, and power go to his head. As a Republican who prioritizes family values above anything else, I won’t stand for these amoral things and hereby renounce my unwavering support for Madison Cawthorne in favor of the married Bo Hines, (hopefully) the new face of the NC Republican Party.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2021, 11:56:44 PM »

My first marriage lasted 6 months.  It was a mistake and a personal tragedy.  If you have that little empathy for a man in a wheelchair who, for whatever reason, was unable to succeed in marriage, you have become deranged by your own hatreds.

I’d suggest you not patronize him (or other wheelchair users) by acting like his being in a wheelchair makes marriage harder for him or makes him especially deserving of sympathy.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 12:06:44 AM »

But he was fully doing that well before they got married.

This was discussed before, in some other thread (with others), and it's just that I don't recall him saying crazy sh*t during his campaigning. And I don't know enough of his past, to say what he was saying/thinking. I just have been noticing the NutJob garbage he has been spewing since he took office, and find him as a second-tier trump cultist, just under someone like MTG.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 01:45:37 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2021, 12:14:22 PM by Crumpets »

I'm curious, how diverse were your social circles in terms of geographic origin and politics and levels of religiosity and the like? It may be that what you describe is specific to "the DC policy sphere", but I think that it's more generally true of white people from the professional/managerial class, particularly if they're not from the South, which means that for people who don't check all of those boxes things can be different. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that that's true even for people who live and work in DC.

I recall that when I lived in Georgia I was once driving a (very drunk) friend home when she started crying because by her age her brother and sister had both met their future spouses and she didn't have anyone yet. At the time she was 23.

Yeah, I think you're right and it does probably extend outside DC. On the diversity point, it was a pretty stark case of just how stratified the US (and I'd argue especially the eastern half of the US) is racially when I was working two jobs in DC. There was about 9 months when I would work my think tank job 9-5 and then work as a barista 6-midnight. In my day job, there were usually two or three non-white people in an office of 20-30, and about the same number of people who grew up in the DC area. In my evening job, I was usually the only non-Hispanic white person on staff and the only one who wasn't from the general DC-MD-VA area.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 02:41:53 AM »

The Virgin Madison Cawthorn and the Chad FDR
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 02:54:23 AM »

The evil gays destroying the Sanctity Of Marriage yet again!
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 03:07:57 AM »

Franklin and Eleanor only stayed married for advantageous political reasons. By all accounts, Eleanor was very badpy hurt and surprised by his persistent cheating. By the end of FDR's life, both of them had long stopped seeing their marriage as a marriage, and of course, Eleanor had Loretta.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2021, 07:24:59 AM »

I have no sympathy for American politicians wheelchair or not
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2021, 08:47:20 AM »

Franklin and Eleanor only stayed married for advantageous political reasons. By all accounts, Eleanor was very badpy hurt and surprised by his persistent cheating. By the end of FDR's life, both of them had long stopped seeing their marriage as a marriage, and of course, Eleanor had Loretta.

It has been alleged for a long time that Eleanor Roosevelt was a lesbian and engaged in an affair with Hickock. The main evidence for this seems to be the letters that they wrote to each other.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2021, 09:55:46 AM »

... My first marriage lasted 6 months ....  

Why am I not surprised?
(PS: You are the one, who brought your own marriage into this discussion.)

Dude. Far be it for me to defend fuzzy's constant whining victim complex, but in fairness, was that truly necessary?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies