All about Ukraine. Questions and answers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:24:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  All about Ukraine. Questions and answers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All about Ukraine. Questions and answers  (Read 3884 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: December 20, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »

Thanks very much for your detailed and helpful answer.

In eastern Ukraine, is there a significant differences between ethnic Russians and russified Ukrainians? How can one tell if someone is a Russian or a russified Ukrainian? How common is the inter-marriage? Is there a cultural conflict between Russians and Ukrainian-speaking ethnic Ukrainians? If so, how strong is it? And how do the russified Ukrainians react to it?

Okay, let's see. I would say that there is almost no difference between ethnic Russians and russified Ukrainians. It is more a matter of self-identification. Some Russians consider themselves Ukrainians, and some russified Ukrainians consider themselves Russians. This is where the difference arises. Its basis is that a significant proportion of people (about a half) who self-identify as Russians think that Ukraine "русская земля" (is Russian land), while people who self-identify as Ukrainians do not encroach on territorial integrity of Ukraine and recognize that they were russified.

It is almost impossible to distinguish between a russified Ukrainian or an ethnic Russian without a passport review or a detailed dialogue when he/she identifies himself/herself.

When marrying, no one cares about nationality. This is not an obstacle.
To add to this, statistics from early 2014 - post-Maidan, largely pre-war, so very relevant timing - show that 70% of Eastern Ukrainians and 58% of Russian speakers in Eastern Ukraine wanted the country to remain united. At the same time, 73% of Eastern Ukrainians and 88% of Russian speakers in Eastern Ukraine opposed the new government's plan to scrap Russian as an official language in Ukraine, and 67% of Eastern Ukrainians thought the new government was driving the country into the wrong direction; at the same time, given the earlier mentioned statistics, most of them clearly opposed secession.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »

I think that what my dear friend ag (I'm sure he still misses me) said on AAD contained a ton of truth. The suggestion that Ukraine is "fascist" or unambiguously "anti-Russian language" or anything like that is inane because Ukraine is so incohesive and so decentralized and so amorphous that lots of phenomena take place at the same time while failing to coalesce or become "dominant". It's a country in which all sorts of ways of life can find a way, and it is because of this that the country is so dysfunctional (and that competing oligarchs can steal the hell out of it), but it's also because of this that there is quite a bit of room for everyone to be able to think what they want to think and do what they want to do as long as they're not being too loud about it, and not a lot of tolerance for people unreasonably impeding other people's will (very few people are interested in actual fascists or communist revisionists). No one's going to care too much whether you speak Ukrainian or Russian. Life's difficult enough as it is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies