All about Ukraine. Questions and answers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:28:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  All about Ukraine. Questions and answers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: All about Ukraine. Questions and answers  (Read 3823 times)
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »

Last week, I promised to start this thread, where I will answer your questions, debunk myths and write posts about Ukraine and Ukrainian culture. It's time to do it
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 12:56:27 PM »

Well we have a Ukrainian megathread.

How do I best prepare lard from a pig?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »

I promised David Hume that he would be the first person I would answer here. So I'm happy to do it.

Thanks for sharing this sad yet important info. I have a few questions.

I am very interested in history and culture. I hope small cultures to survive and not been fully assimilated by the dominant ones. From my knowledge, Belarusian is closer to Ukrainian than Russian in terms of language and culture. But unfortunately, it seems Belarusians are ok with being Russified. Currently most of the people over there speak Russian as mother tongue. It seems unavoidable that they will be completely Russfied in a generation or two. This is vastly different from Ukraine. Do you know why is that the case? How strong is the national identity in Belarus?

For Ukraine, I heard there is a deep national divide. The western part, especially Galicia, was strongly influenced by Poland and Austrian Empire, and strongly against Russification, while the east is less so. What about the ethnic Ukrainians in the eastern part, who survive the Soviet holocaust and Russification?

I know Ukraine is currently going through de-russification. But in the worst case scenario, say US did not defend nor provide enough support, and Putin conquered Ukraine. He is likely to re-russify Ukraine, like promoting Russian as official language again. Do you think the eastern Ukraine could survive that, or (unfortunately) become another Belarus?

And if the current situation continues, or the broke-away forces continue with effective autonomy. Do you think they will be russified like Belarus?

Here are the answers

The situation with Russification in Belarus differs significantly from the situation with russification in Ukraine for many reasons, but I would like to single out 3 main ones. Yes, indeed, Belarusian culture and language are closer to Ukrainian than to Russian, but at the same time, Russian language and culture are closer to Belarusian than to Ukrainian. This is the first reason. The second reason is that at the time of the main repressions of Ukrainians and persecution of Ukrainian culture, not all the territory inhabited by ethnic Ukrainians was under the control of the USSR, unlike the Belarusian ethnic territories. Western Ukraine has become a bastion of the Ukrainian language and culture. Having managed to preserve the language and culture, after the cessation of persecution and Soviet repression, people began to speak Ukrainian again and began to remember traditions and customs. Finally, the third reason actually has a name. And this name is Alexander Lukashenko. He himself does not know Belarusian, and during his reign did his best to destroy the Belarusian language and culture (for example, the Belarusian language is taught in most schools only 1-2 per week, while all subjects are taught in Russian).

As for ethnic Ukrainians in the East, the very notion of ethnic Ukrainians is important here. In fact, many in the East are pro-Russian or non-pro-Ukrainian. But most of these people are ethnic Russians, descendants of Russians who were settled by Stalin on empty lands after the Holodomor. There are many Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the East due to centuries of Russification, but many of them are patriots. Personally, I have many acquaintances from the eastern regions of Ukraine who spoke Russian all their lives, but after 2014 decided to speak Ukrainian so that Putin would not try to "protect" them.

As for Russia's occupation of eastern Ukraine, it all depends on the duration of it. If it lasts up to 30-40 years, I am sure that the Ukrainian language and culture in the East will still survive. And if it lasts longer than 30-40 years, then this part of Ukraine will probably repeat the fate of Belarus (and only obsessive Ukrainization will be able to fix it).

If the current situation continues, it is very likely that the Ukrainian language will slowly but surely prevail. At the same time, the occupied parts of Donbass in 3-4 years will be lost almost forever (for the next 50 years for sure) for Ukraine, as children are brought up there in the spirit of hatred for Ukraine and all things Ukrainian. I can say something else about Crimea, where there are more and more pro-Ukrainian people every day.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 01:40:54 PM »

PSOL, thanks for the fun question, I appreciate it.

First of all, you need to slaughter a pig. Then separate the lard from the meat. The recipe is ready.

The most delicious is fresh lard with Ukrainian black bread and garlic. Also, one of my mother's specialties is baked potatoes with lard. You just need to make an incision in the potatoes, put there a piece of lard and a little onion and put in the oven. It is very tasty.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »

First of all, you need to slaughter a pig. Then separate the lard from the meat. The recipe is ready.

The most delicious is fresh lard with Ukrainian black bread and garlic. Also, one of my mother's specialties is baked potatoes with lard. You just need to make an incision in the potatoes, put there a piece of lard and a little onion and put in the oven. It is very tasty.
Huh, you eat Salo raw?
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 01:49:58 PM »

How is the situation on Crimea currently? I know the majority of the population there are ethnic Russians, how deep is the support for the Russian annexation there at the moment?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »

Huh, you eat Salo raw?

Of course, this is one of the Ukrainian national dishes along with borshch, holubtsi, varenyky, kholodets and others (I will write about it later in a separate post)
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »

How is the situation on Crimea currently? I know the majority of the population there are ethnic Russians, how deep is the support for the Russian annexation there at the moment?

If in 2014, the majority of Crimean residents really preferred Russia (as much as I would not like to, but I must admit it). Now, as I said, the number of pro-Ukrainian people is growing every day. Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars have always wanted to see Crimea as part of Ukraine, but now even many ethnic Russians want Crimea to return to Ukraine. Russia is turning Crimea into a large military base, and most locals are not happy about it. By the way, it was recently decided to demolish the village (about 100 houses) to build a road. There was another option - to build a road near the military base of the Russian Federation, but the Ministry of Defense was not satisfied with this option, so people were simply thrown out into the street, not even offering them alternative housing.

Of course, I do not have any opinion poll results to show this, because Russia does not know what "freedom" is and what "honest sociology" is.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »

I promised David Hume that he would be the first person I would answer here. So I'm happy to do it.

I am very interested in history and culture. I hope small cultures to survive and not been fully assimilated by the dominant ones. From my knowledge, Belarusian is closer to Ukrainian than Russian in terms of language and culture. But unfortunately, it seems Belarusians are ok with being Russified. Currently most of the people over there speak Russian as mother tongue. It seems unavoidable that they will be completely Russfied in a generation or two. This is vastly different from Ukraine. Do you know why is that the case? How strong is the national identity in Belarus?

For Ukraine, I heard there is a deep national divide. The western part, especially Galicia, was strongly influenced by Poland and Austrian Empire, and strongly against Russification, while the east is less so. What about the ethnic Ukrainians in the eastern part, who survive the Soviet holocaust and Russification?

I know Ukraine is currently going through de-russification. But in the worst case scenario, say US did not defend nor provide enough support, and Putin conquered Ukraine. He is likely to re-russify Ukraine, like promoting Russian as official language again. Do you think the eastern Ukraine could survive that, or (unfortunately) become another Belarus?

And if the current situation continues, or the broke-away forces continue with effective autonomy. Do you think they will be russified like Belarus?

Here are the answers

The situation with Russification in Belarus differs significantly from the situation with russification in Ukraine for many reasons, but I would like to single out 3 main ones. Yes, indeed, Belarusian culture and language are closer to Ukrainian than to Russian, but at the same time, Russian language and culture are closer to Belarusian than to Ukrainian. This is the first reason. The second reason is that at the time of the main repressions of Ukrainians and persecution of Ukrainian culture, not all the territory inhabited by ethnic Ukrainians was under the control of the USSR, unlike the Belarusian ethnic territories. Western Ukraine has become a bastion of the Ukrainian language and culture. Having managed to preserve the language and culture, after the cessation of persecution and Soviet repression, people began to speak Ukrainian again and began to remember traditions and customs. Finally, the third reason actually has a name. And this name is Alexander Lukashenko. He himself does not know Belarusian, and during his reign did his best to destroy the Belarusian language and culture (for example, the Belarusian language is taught in most schools only 1-2 per week, while all subjects are taught in Russian).

As for ethnic Ukrainians in the East, the very notion of ethnic Ukrainians is important here. In fact, many in the East are pro-Russian or non-pro-Ukrainian. But most of these people are ethnic Russians, descendants of Russians who were settled by Stalin on empty lands after the Holodomor. There are many Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the East due to centuries of Russification, but many of them are patriots. Personally, I have many acquaintances from the eastern regions of Ukraine who spoke Russian all their lives, but after 2014 decided to speak Ukrainian so that Putin would not try to "protect" them.

As for Russia's occupation of eastern Ukraine, it all depends on the duration of it. If it lasts up to 30-40 years, I am sure that the Ukrainian language and culture in the East will still survive. And if it lasts longer than 30-40 years, then this part of Ukraine will probably repeat the fate of Belarus (and only obsessive Ukrainization will be able to fix it).

If the current situation continues, it is very likely that the Ukrainian language will slowly but surely prevail. At the same time, the occupied parts of Donbass in 3-4 years will be lost almost forever (for the next 50 years for sure) for Ukraine, as children are brought up there in the spirit of hatred for Ukraine and all things Ukrainian. I can say something else about Crimea, where there are more and more pro-Ukrainian people every day.
Thanks very much for your detailed and helpful answer.

In eastern Ukraine, is there a significant differences between ethnic Russians and russified Ukrainians? How can one tell if someone is a Russian or a russified Ukrainian? How common is the inter-marriage? Is there a cultural conflict between Russians and Ukrainian-speaking ethnic Ukrainians? If so, how strong is it? And how do the russified Ukrainians react to it?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 02:25:04 PM »

Another question. I used to compare Ukraine to Russia as Netherland to Germany. But there is one point I am not sure. There is a dialect continuum across the Netherland - Germany border. But for eastern Ukrainian, since a lot of residents are more recent political immigrants, is there really a dialect-continuum? 

Moreover, is there still a dialect-continuum across the Ukrainian-Berulas boulder? Can people converse with the mother tongue of each side?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 03:05:12 PM »

Here are the answers

In eastern Ukraine, is there a significant differences between ethnic Russians and russified Ukrainians? How can one tell if someone is a Russian or a russified Ukrainian? How common is the inter-marriage? Is there a cultural conflict between Russians and Ukrainian-speaking ethnic Ukrainians? If so, how strong is it? And how do the russified Ukrainians react to it?

Okay, let's see. I would say that there is almost no difference between ethnic Russians and russified Ukrainians. It is more a matter of self-identification. Some Russians consider themselves Ukrainians, and some russified Ukrainians consider themselves Russians. This is where the difference arises. Its basis is that a significant proportion of people (about a half) who self-identify as Russians think that Ukraine "русская земля" (is Russian land), while people who self-identify as Ukrainians do not encroach on territorial integrity of Ukraine and recognize that they were russified.

It is almost impossible to distinguish between a russified Ukrainian or an ethnic Russian without a passport review or a detailed dialogue when he/she identifies himself/herself.

When marrying, no one cares about nationality. This is not an obstacle.

There is no significant cultural war between Ukrainian-speaking Ukrainians and Russians. Of course, there are some small conflicts, but they arise mainly when Russians claim that the Ukrainian language / culture has no right to exist. Sometimes fanatics on the Ukrainian side also show contempt for Russians, but this is extremely rare. Russified Ukrainians react differently to this. As I wrote above, those who identify themselves as Ukrainians mostly support Ukrainian-speaking Ukrainians in such conflicts; those who identify themselves as Russians mostly support Russians.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 04:08:40 PM »

If in 2014, the majority of Crimean residents really preferred Russia (as much as I would not like to, but I must admit it). Now, as I said, the number of pro-Ukrainian people is growing every day. Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars have always wanted to see Crimea as part of Ukraine, but now even many ethnic Russians want Crimea to return to Ukraine. Russia is turning Crimea into a large military base, and most locals are not happy about it. By the way, it was recently decided to demolish the village (about 100 houses) to build a road. There was another option - to build a road near the military base of the Russian Federation, but the Ministry of Defense was not satisfied with this option, so people were simply thrown out into the street, not even offering them alternative housing.

Of course, I do not have any opinion poll results to show this, because Russia does not know what "freedom" is and what "honest sociology" is.

LMAO, you are really saying that Crimeans becoming more pro-Ukraine? Haha, sure.

By the way, how many people did flee from Crimea to Ukraine? Ukraine should have these stats.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 04:15:08 PM »

So you are a Ukrainian irredentist now? How do you square that with your opposition to Russian annexation of Crimea?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »

Okay, let's see. I would say that there is almost no difference between ethnic Russians and russified Ukrainians. It is more a matter of self-identification. Some Russians consider themselves Ukrainians, and some russified Ukrainians consider themselves Russians. This is where the difference arises. Its basis is that a significant proportion of people (about a half) who self-identify as Russians think that Ukraine "русская земля" (is Russian land), while people who self-identify as Ukrainians do not encroach on territorial integrity of Ukraine and recognize that they were russified.

It is almost impossible to distinguish between a russified Ukrainian or an ethnic Russian without a passport review or a detailed dialogue when he/she identifies himself/herself.

When marrying, no one cares about nationality. This is not an obstacle.
To add to this, statistics from early 2014 - post-Maidan, largely pre-war, so very relevant timing - show that 70% of Eastern Ukrainians and 58% of Russian speakers in Eastern Ukraine wanted the country to remain united. At the same time, 73% of Eastern Ukrainians and 88% of Russian speakers in Eastern Ukraine opposed the new government's plan to scrap Russian as an official language in Ukraine, and 67% of Eastern Ukrainians thought the new government was driving the country into the wrong direction; at the same time, given the earlier mentioned statistics, most of them clearly opposed secession.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »

So you are a Ukrainian irredentist now? How do you square that with your opposition to Russian annexation of Crimea?

What? I never said that all historical Ukrainian lands should return to Ukraine. Everything must be in accordance with the norms of international law, and not as Russia does because of the disgusting occupation of parts of the territory and further repression of the population in these territories.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 05:00:42 PM »

LMAO, you are really saying that Crimeans becoming more pro-Ukraine? Haha, sure.

By the way, how many people did flee from Crimea to Ukraine? Ukraine should have these stats.

Oh, I forgot, people should be happy when their homeland is turned into a military base, when nature and architecture are destroyed, when they are constantly under pressure from special services (especially Crimean Tatars). This is simply true. As the fanatics shouted "хоть камни с неба", right?

And, yes, people are dissatisfied with your occupation authorities. And, yes, this dissatisfaction is growing every day

Maxim Osadchiy, head of the analytical department of the Russian bank BKF, told the Russian news agency RIA Novosti that the highest growth rate of overdue debt on loans to residents in rubles, recorded on October 1 in Russia's annexed Sevastopol (+ 53.7% year on year) ) and the Crimea.
Probably, Crimeans have started to live so well that they can afford not to repay loans at all, right?

ForPost conducted a survey of Sevastopol residents, which showed that people are increasingly complaining about the lack of money.
https://sevastopol.su/news/zhiteli-sevastopolya-zhaluyutsya-na-nedostatok-deneg-v-chem-prichina

Even in Russia, where even a dog can't bark at Putin, polls show that people are increasingly complaining about a lack of money.

Як-то кажуть: "Вы там держитесь, Вам всего доброго, хорошего настроения, просто денег нет"
(All the best to you, there is simply no money - former Russian PM Medvedev)
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »

What do you think about the current ongoing tensions between the governments of Ukraine and Georgia regarding Saakashvili? Will it damage their relations permanently?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »

Another question. I used to compare Ukraine to Russia as Netherland to Germany. But there is one point I am not sure. There is a dialect continuum across the Netherland - Germany border. But for eastern Ukrainian, since a lot of residents are more recent political immigrants, is there really a dialect-continuum? 

Moreover, is there still a dialect-continuum across the Ukrainian-Berulas boulder? Can people converse with the mother tongue of each side?

The Ukrainian language is quite rich. We have many dialects (but these are mostly slight differences in the definitions of certain objects, which may vary in different regions and small differences in the pronunciation of certain sounds). In general, the language is almost identical everywhere (except in some mountainous regions of the Carpathians, where there is an extremely strong Hutsul dialect, Transcarpathia, where Slovak and Hungarian languages ​​and southern Chernivtsi region, where Ukrainian is influenced by Romanian).

There is such a thing as "surzhyk" - Ukrainian with some interspersed Russian words. It is mainly distributed in the East and South of Ukraine.

As for the Belarusian-Ukrainian border, there are many Ukrainian words used by Belarusians and many Belarusian words used by Ukrainians, but I have not seen widespread use of Belarusian in Ukrainian border villages.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 05:14:51 PM »

You didn't really answered. Instead a lot of strange takes. Yes, people in Russia complains about their living standards. But living standard is much higher in Russia then in Ukraine. By a lot. And literally all Crimeans experienced it.

Yawn. Whatever.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »

You didn't really answered. Instead a lot of strange takes. Yes, people in Russia complains about their living standards. But living standard is much higher in Russia then in Ukraine. By a lot. And literally all Crimeans experienced it.

Yawn. Whatever.

You have your position, I have my position. I don't know if you have acquaintances in Crimea. I have acquaintances in the Crimea. Over the last year, I've talked to 5 completely different people, two of whom now have pretty good positions there. 3 of them said that they would like to return to Ukraine, 1 said that he would like to stay in Russia, and 1 said that he did not care

The last time I was in the Crimea was in 2013. And I will return there when it becomes Ukrainian again. I don't know if you were in the Crimea. Maybe you were there before the occupation, and then after and you can compare. I have other sources that I fully trust.

As for how many people fled. Okay, I'll answer. As of 2016, this number is about 50 thousand. Several thousand more have left since then. But people did not flee and do not flee not because they are satisfied. And, in my opinion, it should be obvious. Where to flee if you have lived in the Crimea all your life? It is very difficult to leave your native place. And this is perfectly normal.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 05:34:16 PM »

What do you think about the current ongoing tensions between the governments of Ukraine and Georgia regarding Saakashvili? Will it damage their relations permanently?

I strongly doubt that Saakashvili will have any serious impact on Georgian-Ukrainian relations. A few more weeks and everyone here will forget about him, he will become completely irrelevant, and the trial will continue in Georgia. And in a few months everything will return to normal, but taking into account the "skills" of Zelensky's team, I may be wrong.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 05:40:39 PM »

The Ukrainian language is quite rich. We have many dialects (but these are mostly slight differences in the definitions of certain objects, which may vary in different regions and small differences in the pronunciation of certain sounds). In general, the language is almost identical everywhere (except in some mountainous regions of the Carpathians, where there is an extremely strong Hutsul dialect, Transcarpathia, where Slovak and Hungarian languages and southern Chernivtsi region, where Ukrainian is influenced by Romanian).

There is such a thing as "surzhyk" - Ukrainian with some interspersed Russian words. It is mainly distributed in the East and South of Ukraine.

As for the Belarusian-Ukrainian border, there are many Ukrainian words used by Belarusians and many Belarusian words used by Ukrainians, but I have not seen widespread use of Belarusian in Ukrainian border villages.
Interesting. I thought Chernivtsi dialect would have a German influence instead of a Romanian one, since it was the capital of Bukovina, where German was the lingua franca.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2021, 05:53:29 PM »

The Ukrainian language is quite rich. We have many dialects (but these are mostly slight differences in the definitions of certain objects, which may vary in different regions and small differences in the pronunciation of certain sounds). In general, the language is almost identical everywhere (except in some mountainous regions of the Carpathians, where there is an extremely strong Hutsul dialect, Transcarpathia, where Slovak and Hungarian languages and southern Chernivtsi region, where Ukrainian is influenced by Romanian).

Interesting. I thought Chernivtsi dialect would have a German influence instead of a Romanian one, since it was the capital of Bukovina, where German was the lingua franca.

There are 3 main dialects of Ukrainian: northern, south-western and south-eastern as you can see on this map.

Due to its geographical location, the western districts of Chernivtsi region are influenced by the powerful Hutsul dialect, the eastern by my native Podolia dialect, while the southern is influenced by the Romanian language.

As for German, it does not have such a significant impact.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2021, 02:29:14 AM »

Do you at all think that Russia is bluffing in terms of launching a full-scale war and invasion of Ukraine? (I mean besides the ongoing war in the Donbass and Crimea obviously).

As much as many people in NATO countries understandably do not want to go to war with Russia over Ukraine/start World War III, I have yet to see much credence give to the other side of this argument - namely, that Putin is also reluctant to risk a major military confrontation with NATO/the US, over Ukraine or otherwise. I could see him supporting a coup in Kyiv that installs a Kremlin stooge, but a massive military invasion? Less sure...

Would be interested in your thoughts on this.  And thank you for this thread, much appreciated.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »

I think there is a *certain* amount of bluff currently, but beyond that who can say?

Remember that the Zhirinovsky tendency in Russia literally want the USSR forcibly restored.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies