In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:18:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades  (Read 1794 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 06, 2022, 02:12:38 AM »

How likely is it that Republicans will sweep the remaining legislative seats in the Iron Range that they don't already control? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 11:50:52 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2022, 11:56:22 AM by Frodo »

How likely is it that Republicans will sweep the remaining legislative seats in the Iron Range that they don't already control?  

I’d say pretty likely for the ones that don’t contain a significant part of Duluth.

So the third and sixth districts in the Senate:

And a max gain of about six seats in the House (3A/B, 4A/B, 6A/B), and maybe seven (11A):

Though after 2020 redistricting the map will have changed a bit, so I don't know how much that impacts GOP chances in the region.  

That would be enough to flip the lower house R unless there are additional D pickup opportunities in outer MSP.  It looks like they already control a bunch of seats pretty far out from the city though.

The 4 A/B districts in the House aren't actually in the region apparently (hence my deletion of my original post), so that leaves Republicans with four districts they can flip.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »

Redistricting/renumbering have changed things a little bit.

Senate: I would argue Republicans already control all the Senate seats on the Iron Range outside of Duluth (Duluth is really not the Iron Range but that is a different argument). SD03 and SD07 (old SD06) are held by D turned I senators who caucused with Republicans. Democrats have a decent chance to flip those seats back especially SD03 (was even Pres 2020 and  +10 Walz Gov 2018).

House: 03B is safe D. Mary Murphy(D) held the seat for 46 years and I don't see her losing now. 07A,07B (old 06A,06B) will be competitive along with 11A which is an open seat. All 3 could go either way.

What happens to her seat though when she either dies or retires (she is over 80 years old)?  That is why I consider it a likely GOP pick-up once she leaves. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies