In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:17:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades  (Read 1722 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2021, 09:38:08 PM »

Only in 2013-14. From 1990-2010, they usually had the upper hand in the state legs, but never won governorship. They kept governorship since 2010, but GOP controlled each house for six years during the decade.

I am quite surprised to find out this, considering this state voted Dems in every elections from 1976.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 10:20:05 PM »

Not terribly uncommon. Virginia Republicans only had about 4 years of a trifecta between when they finally flipped the legislature and when it started trending back to the Democrats, over pretty much the entire state's history. Constantly losing the governor's office in the 2000s let quite a lot of policy-making opportunities slip by.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 11:41:47 PM »

Im told the MN Democrats are the strongest state party in the nation.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 11:44:51 PM »

Well, they did win every statewide race in 2010 and 2014.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 11:53:48 PM »

No statewide office in Minnesota has been won by the GOP since 2006, when Tim Pawlenty was re-elected in a narrow loss that turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Democrats.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 12:50:34 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2021, 12:53:51 AM by Minnesota Mike »

No statewide office in Minnesota has been won by the GOP since 2006, when Tim Pawlenty was re-elected in a narrow loss that turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Democrats.

No Republican has gotten over 50% in Minnesota statewide wide since Arne Carlson in 1994.

A Lot of Democrats are packed in 80% D districts in Minneapolis and St Paul making MN a tougher state for Democrats legislatively than it is statewide. As for the 20 year Governor draught that was 8 years of liberal Republican Arne Carlson, 4 years of Jessie Ventura and 8 years of Tim Pawlenty who only won with pluralities.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »

Not terribly uncommon. Virginia Republicans only had about 4 years of a trifecta between when they finally flipped the legislature and when it started trending back to the Democrats, over pretty much the entire state's history. Constantly losing the governor's office in the 2000s let quite a lot of policy-making opportunities slip by.
That's quite understandable for a southern state. KY only have 3 year R trifecta in the state history. But for a northern D state, this is surprising.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 09:31:47 AM »

If they are so strong why couldn’t they win the state senate in 2020?  All they needed to do was beat an incumbent Republican in a double digit Biden Rochester district.  If the shoe was on the other foot and Republicans needed to beat a Dem in a double digit Trump district, that Democrat would have lost easily.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 11:43:32 AM »

I mean, look at most Midwestern (and Pennsylvania) states over the last few decades and you’re not going to find many Dem trifectas even before the great WWC collapse.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 11:54:05 AM »

I mean, look at most Midwestern (and Pennsylvania) states over the last few decades and you’re not going to find many Dem trifectas even before the great WWC collapse.

Yeah. In Illinois, Democrats never held a trifecta between the 1938 and 2002.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 02:12:38 AM »

How likely is it that Republicans will sweep the remaining legislative seats in the Iron Range that they don't already control? 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »

How likely is it that Republicans will sweep the remaining legislative seats in the Iron Range that they don't already control? 

I’d say pretty likely for the ones that don’t contain a significant part of Duluth.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 11:35:38 AM »

I’d say pretty likely for the ones that don’t contain a significant part of Duluth.

So the third and sixth districts in the Senate:

And a max gain of about six seats in the House (3A/B, 4A/B, 6A/B), and maybe seven (11A):

Though after 2020 redistricting the map will have changed a bit, so I don't know how much that impacts GOP chances in the region.  

That would be enough to flip the lower house R unless there are additional D pickup opportunities in outer MSP.  It looks like they already control a bunch of seats pretty far out from the city though.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 11:50:52 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2022, 11:56:22 AM by Frodo »

And a max gain of about six seats in the House (3A/B, 4A/B, 6A/B), and maybe seven (11A):

Though after 2020 redistricting the map will have changed a bit, so I don't know how much that impacts GOP chances in the region.  

That would be enough to flip the lower house R unless there are additional D pickup opportunities in outer MSP.  It looks like they already control a bunch of seats pretty far out from the city though.

The 4 A/B districts in the House aren't actually in the region apparently (hence my deletion of my original post), so that leaves Republicans with four districts they can flip.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »

Redistricting/renumbering have changed things a little bit.

Senate: I would argue Republicans already control all the Senate seats on the Iron Range outside of Duluth (Duluth is really not the Iron Range but that is a different argument). SD03 and SD07 (old SD06) are held by D turned I senators who caucused with Republicans. Democrats have a decent chance to flip those seats back especially SD03 (was even Pres 2020 and  +10 Walz Gov 2018).

House: 03B is safe D. Mary Murphy(D) held the seat for 46 years and I don't see her losing now. 07A,07B (old 06A,06B) will be competitive along with 11A which is an open seat. All 3 could go either way.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »

That would be enough to flip the lower house R unless there are additional D pickup opportunities in outer MSP.  It looks like they already control a bunch of seats pretty far out from the city though.

Tbf, the MSP bubble is pretty big and as was the case throughout the country in 2020, they lost several suburban Biden districts. They aren't maxed out in MSP, especially after redistricting, though 2022 may not be the year to make those gains and they'll still need a few seats outside MSP to actually win either chamber.

MN's geography def penalizes Dems in the state legistlature due to their concentration in one metro.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »

Senate: I would argue Republicans already control all the Senate seats on the Iron Range outside of Duluth (Duluth is really not the Iron Range but that is a different argument). SD03 and SD07 (old SD06) are held by D turned I senators who caucused with Republicans. Democrats have a decent chance to flip those seats back especially SD03 (was even Pres 2020 and  +10 Walz Gov 2018).

House: 03B is safe D. Mary Murphy(D) held the seat for 46 years and I don't see her losing now. 07A,07B (old 06A,06B) will be competitive along with 11A which is an open seat. All 3 could go either way.

What happens to her seat though when she either dies or retires (she is over 80 years old)?  That is why I consider it a likely GOP pick-up once she leaves. 
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 02:32:06 PM »

There are a few islands of Democrats in outstate MN usually in the larger cities and college towns. Democrats are very likely to pick up a Senate seat and a House seat in the Rochester area, bringing them to 1 Senate seat and 3 house seats. The college towns of Mankato, Moorhead, and St Cloud all have a safe Dem House seat and a likely Dem Senate seat. Winona has a safe Dem House seat. Basically any city in outstate MN over 30,000 leans Democratic, it is only to true rural areas that are Republican.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 02:35:10 PM »

Senate: I would argue Republicans already control all the Senate seats on the Iron Range outside of Duluth (Duluth is really not the Iron Range but that is a different argument). SD03 and SD07 (old SD06) are held by D turned I senators who caucused with Republicans. Democrats have a decent chance to flip those seats back especially SD03 (was even Pres 2020 and  +10 Walz Gov 2018).

What happens to her seat though when she either dies or retires (she is over 80 years old)?  That is why I consider it a likely GOP pick-up once she leaves. 

It's still a Democratic leaning seat, Biden +5 Walz +14.

LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 06:15:06 PM »

I have Murphy and Lislegard hanging on due to personal brand. The Cloquet seat and Eklund are a toss up. We’ll lose the Marquart seat and Sandstede likely goes down too
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 06:57:17 PM »

If the presidency flips in 2024 they’ll probably finally get the trifecta in 2026.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 07:25:52 PM »

If the presidency flips in 2024 they’ll probably finally get the trifecta in 2026.
They can't even do that in 2018. If 2026 is a DeSantis midterm, the blue wave is very likely smaller than 2018.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2022, 07:33:10 PM »

Since 2016, Democrats haven't had control of a single legislative chamber in a state that Trump won in 2016, unless you count that weird Alaskan coalition. Republicans have had a majority of the members of the Alaskan House. Meanwhile, plenty of states that vote Democrat for President have Republican chambers.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2022, 08:06:49 PM »

I have Murphy and Lislegard hanging on due to personal brand. The Cloquet seat and Eklund are a toss up. We’ll lose the Marquart seat and Sandstede likely goes down too

That's pretty much how I see it too.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »

They can't even do that in 2018. If 2026 is a DeSantis midterm, the blue wave is very likely smaller than 2018.

Too far out to speculate what things will look like in 2026, but Dems don’t need all that amazing of a year to flip the state legislature, especially on the new maps. In 2020, they were 1 state senate seat away from having the trifecta for instance.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies