Opinion of Angela Merkel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:46:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Angela Merkel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of (now) former German Chancellor Angela Merkel?
Freedom fighter

Horrible person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of Angela Merkel  (Read 668 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2021, 03:31:15 PM »

What's your opinion of former German Chancellor Angela Merkel? The former sounds still pretty weird now that she's left office today.

Perhaps I would have answered HP for most of the time at least politically, however, I feel like that's too harsh. Obviously there's a lot to criticize in my opinion, especially her handling of the Eurocrisis, refugee crisis and most importantly the lack of reform desire from her part. Most of the reforms under her tenure were the work of Social Democrats as coalition partners, while she took credit for popular measures anyway. With that being said, she deserves credit for her pragmatic governing style both in domestic and foreign policy. It's also fair to say that she helped Germany to gain positive influence in the world and it's also undeniable she contributed to Germany's strong reputation around the world. Especially in time with a lot of instability and rising populism that can still be considered an accomplishment.

All summed up, I'd give her an FF vote despite numerous things I have to criticize. I think it's definitely fair to say Merkel is a strong FF personally. She never had a scandal involving her person, never appeared arrogant or made huge waves to gain attention or make cheap shots at others expense and even apologized in public when she had to correct a decision. At least I feel she wanted to serve honorably, even if I don't support many, or a majority, of her decisions.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 04:19:38 PM »

Loyal East German who sold her nations energy needs to big bad Russia but talks a good talk and so the media adores her
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 06:56:55 PM »

Loyal East German who sold her nations energy needs to big bad Russia but talks a good talk and so the media adores her
To be fair, both the nuclear phase-out and the North Stream project both started under Schröder who's now a lobbyist for Gazprom.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »

Unimpressive.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 10:07:38 AM »

An all in all mixed record, though she has guided Europe and frankly the world in a long and defining era. For sure a role model for other leaders with a sense pragmatism and compromise ability. Easy FF on balance.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »

Dreadful. Her dogmatic obsession with budget surpluses and restrictive monetary policy caused an uneccesary decade of real economic and human pain, espcially in Southern Europe. Her greatest "achievement" in energy policy was an exit from nuclear energy that has left Germany with the dirtiest energy sector in Western Europe. She completely failed on all of the pressing issues facing Germany and the world - not just in foreign policy but in terms of completel missing the ball on the energy transition or upgrading Germany's digital and phyical infrastructure such that it is now facing a cliff edge in terms of its future economic and social development. All the while having been famously well developed in all those areas just a decade ago.

Yet liberals love her because of one brave decision she made in 2015 and the fact that she wasn't Trump.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »

To be fair, both the nuclear phase-out and the North Stream project both started under Schröder who's now a lobbyist for Gazprom.
Yes, but if you think it was bad, then it is a big difference to approve North Stream 1 then (1998?) before all the wars and now.

Personally, I think, it was great policy. The more Europe-Russia economy are coupled the better for both.
the nuclear phase-out
Again. It is much stranger to do it now, when it's even more clear than we need less fuel and WAY more carbon-free electricity (cars, green steel, green concrete etc), which nuclear energy is a safe and reliable source of.

FF
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 03:01:53 AM »

In 20 years, we will look back on politicians like Merkel as examples of how doing nothing can be one of the most destructive courses of action. Inaction is a willful action.

I am shocked at how backwards and stagnant Germany as a country is compared to Sweden, the UK, and the U.S., and the fact that Germany is hurtling towards major crises in the not-so-distant future has made me question if it's such a good idea to stay long-term.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies