Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:04:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms  (Read 1675 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »

Cultural relevance? Hegemony? Equitable? Institutional bias? Normativity?

But I was told that Republicans simply opposed Critical Race Theory?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »

Looks like they just want to ban anything that sounds vaguely woke or academic. For example they want to ban both "affinity groups" and "neo segregation" even though affinity groups are literally neo segregation.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 12:39:17 PM »

They want to ban "equity" so that young'uns don't learn how to properly take out a mortgage.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »

I support this enthusiastically.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »

They want to ban "equity" so that young'uns don't learn how to properly take out a mortgage.

To me equity either applies to finance or to civil law remedies other than money. Trying to create a new definition of equity that basically means equality of outcomes has been frustrating to no end since that word already has centuries of definitional use as other things. Its basically just an attempt to trick people into thinking equality which the new CRT definition actually contradicts.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »

There's not a single word on this list that you think shouldn't be banned?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »

You don't think giving teachers a list of "banned words" is Orwellian in the slightest?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »

I think the point of the bill or what the WI GOP wants to do is to ban phrases or expressions. Not literally these words. I'm sure there are a few words here I use but in a different context. Overall, all of them have to go. All of this sht is weird.

You don't think giving teachers a list of "banned words" is Orwellian in the slightest?

I think CRT is Orwellian and pushes black people back another century so this is preferred.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 01:17:56 PM »

I want the home loan industry to push back against the banning of the word " equity ".
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 01:21:53 PM »

Let us ban the words GOP and Republican Party. How about that?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 01:24:19 PM »

I think the point of the bill or what the WI GOP wants to do is to ban phrases or expressions. Not literally these words. I'm sure there are a few words here I use but in a different context. Overall, all of them have to go. All of this sht is weird.

I think CRT is Orwellian and pushes black people back another century so this is preferred.

You could very easily construct a history curriculum that rejects the thesis of the 1619 Project and discourages the use of academic feminist concepts without resorting to a "banned phrases" list that censors teachers and creates a new regulatory burden for school administrators. All this is going to do is lead to a handful of high-profile firings and a plethora of new dead-weight administrative jobs, jobs that waste space in school budgets and hold down teacher salaries just as we are entering an inflationary period.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »

I don't want a list of words and phrases that should be used or a list of ones to be eliminated.  Stop using schools to teach kids to be woke, or unwoke and jamming political correctness down their throats.  Just teach the damn subjects.  And don't change history, just teach it.  Much of it is ugly.  They'll survive learning it.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 01:26:56 PM »

You could very easily construct a history curriculum that rejects the thesis of the 1619 Project and discourages the use of academic feminist concepts without resorting to a "banned phrases" list that censors teachers and creates a new regulatory burden for school administrators. All this is going to do is lead to a handful of high-profile firings and a plethora of new dead-weight administrative jobs, jobs that waste space in school budgets and hold down teacher salaries just as we are entering an inflationary period.

Yep. This is just going to create more Government waste. More Government mandates... oh wait.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 01:32:49 PM »

I don't want a list of words and phrases that should be used or a list of ones to be eliminated.  Stop using schools to teach kids to be woke, or unwoke and jamming political correctness down their throats.  Just teach the damn subjects.  And don't change history, just teach it.  Much of it is ugly.  They'll survive learning it.

Hey Grumpy Santa, I agree. Especially about not changing history. Yes much of it is ugly, but instead of changing it, maybe we should dig in deeper to find what really went on back then, and not all from a "white" perspective. Let's get the perspective from everyone, of all colors and races, and females as well. Plenty of them accomplished lots of noteworthy things.

And yes, the kids will not only survive but be the wiser for all the variety of information they learn.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »

Anyone who has ever said the phrase "de-centering whiteness" cannot be trusted around children.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »

Hey Grumpy Santa, I agree. Especially about not changing history. Yes much of it is ugly, but instead of changing it, maybe we should dig in deeper to find what really went on back then, and not all from a "white" perspective. Let's get the perspective from everyone, of all colors and races, and females as well. Plenty of them accomplished lots of noteworthy things.

And yes, the kids will not only survive but be the wiser for all the variety of information they learn.

Oh that's fine.  As long as we're not changing it or cancelling it, other perspectives are indeed important.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »

"Cultural relevance"?  Are you serious?  So a teacher's going to get in trouble for saying that "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was a culturally relevant film because it launched the field of animation into American cinema."

Wisconsin Republicans are batty AF.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »

It's not hard to ban these words. Just implement a ban and make sure the curriculum doesn't teach certain things. Things were already fine before CRT advocates became so powerful
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 02:32:26 PM »

Kids should be taught that structural racism exists and is deeply invested in our system, and the economic reasoning behind it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »

This is a great example of what I call "making Annoying Thing X your North Star and running to the South Pole." It's something which is way too common in politics, and is frankly quite immature and leads nowhere. The fact that woke language is annoying and that some people on Twitter or in meetings that take place at schools go too far doesn't mean that we should literally ban words in schools, some of which vary greatly based on context. This sort of thing makes it extremely hard to take conservatives who claim "we're the pro-free speech party now" seriously at all, and makes it sound like instead of criticizing antiracism and suggesting a better way of addressing racism in education, they simply want to either ignore the topic completely, force their beliefs through education, or are only interesting in "owning the left."

If conservatives want to have a productive conversation about what a better way forward is, great! I'm not a fan of the current brand of antiracism in education, either. This sort of thing, however, is counterproductive. I've talked about how some academics push me away with how they talk about racism. Well, when conservatives do this, it pushes me even further away and makes me less sympathetic to their arguments, since it makes me extremely skeptical of their true motives.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2021, 03:16:08 PM by pool water is very cod 🥶🥶🥶 »

As a student myself, calling this move idiotic would be a massive understatement.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 02:53:28 PM »

They're banning words now?? Wow, talk about fumbling an issue where they seemed to have taken a clear lead in Americans' minds. Your average swing voter isn't going to get behind word bans.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 03:06:56 PM »

You can't do basic civil rights history without some of these words.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2021, 03:10:53 PM by Ferguson97 »

Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 05:40:22 PM »

You can't do basic civil rights history without some of these words.

If you can't, that says more about our mediocre teachers
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies