Indian-Americans on the Forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:23:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Indian-Americans on the Forum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Indian-Americans on the Forum  (Read 1930 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 09:49:58 PM »

Love my lamb vindaloo extra extra EXTRA spicy.

Even the Indians at the restaurants ask me “are you sure?” And I’m like “bitch did I stutter?  Hit me with that heat”

Myself, I like food that's kind of spicy but not too spicy. Also, as far as lamb vindaloo goes, I've only eaten it once (I think, but I probably ate it other times without realizing it / when it was called a different name). My favourite Indian foods personally are rajma chawalm (I enjoy mixing it with dhai) and kadhi chawal.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 09:51:14 PM »

Another question: what Indian language do you speak? I know there are a lot of such languages. Some of you might know multiple. As for myself, I can speak a good amount of Hindi but don't know too many words, and I can read/write Hindi a pretty decent amount.

I fluently speak Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Tamil, I'm proficient in Urdu, and I speak a little bit of Marathi and Telugu. 

Pretty impressive you speak so many languages.

I know that PQG (R-TX) and OSR (R-OR) are Indian-Americans (both are from Gujrat, if memory serves correct), West_Midlander (R-NC) is part-Indian (16% North Indian, 6% South Indian), and probably a D-CA avatar or two but I'm not 100% sure, and a D-TX avatar whose name I don't remember are Indian-American. Is there anyone else?

I'm actually an Independent. Tongue

Oops, my mistake. I'l correct that.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2021, 09:56:09 PM »

This is my ranking of Indian cuisines:

1. Punjabi
2. Indo-Chinese
3. Indian Street Food
4. South Indian
5. Gujarati
6. Indo-Italian

Haven’t had others as much so can’t say but I like every one but Indo-Italian
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2021, 10:05:41 PM »

1. Punjabi
2. Indo-Chinese
3. Indian Street Food
4. South Indian
5. Gujarati
6. Indo-Italian

Punjabi is top tier but the best Indian food is Kashmiri IMO.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2021, 10:09:01 PM »

This is my 10 favorite Bollywood movies(Post yours as well)

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
5. 3 Idiots(After a recent rewatch it’s in my top 5)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli
9. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
10. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara

As you can see I’m very biased towards the 2000-2006 movie period here but this is my list of 10 favorite Bollywood movies
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2021, 10:11:40 PM »

1. Punjabi
2. Indo-Chinese
3. Indian Street Food
4. South Indian
5. Gujarati
6. Indo-Italian

Punjabi is top tier but the best Indian food is Kashmiri IMO.

Will try it then
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2021, 10:16:41 PM »

1. Punjabi
2. Indo-Chinese
3. Indian Street Food
4. South Indian
5. Gujarati
6. Indo-Italian

Wasn't even aware the second and sixth categories existed.

Anyway, by and large Indian food of all types is great. South Indian can taste really great; North Indian can be pretty great too. I'm also a big fan of Indian non-veg like butter chicken and what not (though I'm also a fan of non-veg, period).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2021, 10:18:48 PM »

1. Punjabi
2. Indo-Chinese
3. Indian Street Food
4. South Indian
5. Gujarati
6. Indo-Italian

Anyway, by and large Indian food of all types is great. South Indian can taste really great; North Indian can be pretty great too. I'm also a big fan of Indian non-veg like butter chicken and what not (though I'm also a fan of non-veg, period).

Yah there are many Indo-Chinese restaurants too and they are great
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 10:23:41 PM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

As you can see I’m very biased towards the 2000-2006 movie period here but this is my list of 10 favorite Bollywood movies

Out of all these movies, let's see...I've herd of Dhoom 2 but have not watched it, same with Kaho Na Pyar Hai. I've watched Krrish 3 multiple times (it's pretty good but some parts are honestly a bit cringey); Krrish and Koi Mil Gaya are actually its prequels and though I haven't watched either movie, I know the basic premise of the second movie (an alien lands on Earth, if I remember/understand correctly, and helps make a brain damaged young man a genius). Have never heard of Don. 3 Idiots I have watched; it's a classic and definitely worth watching (Aamir Khan is great actor). The ending was pretty great. Haven't heard of or watched the rest, except the ninth and maybe the tenth.

I generally lean towards more recent movies, like from the 2010s.

But there are a great number of movies to choose from when looking at Bollywood, obviously. A lot of them are great.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 10:24:35 PM »

1. Punjabi
2. Indo-Chinese
3. Indian Street Food
4. South Indian
5. Gujarati
6. Indo-Italian

Yah there are many Indo-Chinese restaurants too and they are great

I can imagine that being the case. Though, as you remarked, Indo-Italian food honestly sounds dicey and not something I'd necessarily want to try.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2021, 10:27:05 PM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

Out of all these movies, let's see...I've herd of Dhoom 2 but have not watched it, same with Kaho Na Pyar Hai. I've watched Krrish 3 multiple times (it's pretty good but some parts are honestly a bit cringey); Krrish and Koi Mil Gaya are actually its prequels and though I haven't watched either movie, I know the basic premise of the second movie (an alien lands on Earth, if I remember/understand correctly, and helps make a brain damaged young man a genius). Have never heard of Don. 3 Idiots I have watched; it's a classic and definitely worth watching (Aamir Khan is great actor). The ending was pretty great. Haven't heard of or watched the rest, except the ninth and maybe the tenth.

But there are a great number of movies to choose from when looking at Bollywood, obviously. A lot of them are great.

As a kid I watched like the first two on my list so many times (along with many on this list). What would be your ranking though . Surprised though you have never heard of Don since the original is one of it is arguably Amitabh Bachchan’s most famous movie(though I like the remake better).

My favorite Bollywood actor is Hrithik Roshan
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

As a kid I watched like the first two on my list so many times (along with many on this list). What would be your ranking though . Surprised though you have never heard of Don since the original is one of it is arguably Amitabh Bachchan’s most famous movie(though I like the remake better).

I like a lot. Hrithik Roshan is a great actor, along with Aamir Khan and Akshay Kumar. Then there are obviously older classics, including Bachchan, the two Khans (Sharukh and Salman). There are more but these 6 should come to mind.

EDIT: My ranking of what? These 10 movies? Well, as I've said, I've only watched a couple of these movies so I honestly can't say for sure.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2021, 10:37:32 PM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

I like a lot. Hrithik Roshan is a great actor, along with Aamir Khan and Akshay Kumar. Then there are obviously older classics, including Bachchan, the two Khans (Sharukh and Salman). There are more but these 6 should come to mind.

Did your parents make you watch a lot of 1970s Bollywood movies with them when you were younger. I remember watching them and while I liked them I definitely prefered Late 90s- Mid 00s era movies more.

Though the most overrated Bollywood movie imo has to be DDLJ, like the songs may be good but the actual movie was medicore.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2021, 10:40:36 PM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

Did your parents make you watch a lot of 1970s Bollywood movies with them when you were younger. I remember watching them and while I liked them I definitely prefered Late 90s- Mid 00s era movies more.

Not 1970s, most probably. I didn't really watch (m)any Indian movies made before, say, 1990, and most the Indian movies I've watched are from the 2000s/2010s.
SInNYC

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2021, 01:33:22 AM »

Probably the old man Indian-American on the Forum.  My parents (father from Bihar, mother from Kerala) moved to New York in summer 1964, and I was born shortly thereafter.

This was before the 1965 Immigration Act--which more than anything created a truly diverse American population into the 21st century.
I am curious on what was the Indian community like in America before the late 1980s/90s (around the time when some of my granduncles came to America, though one of them may have come earlier)?

My [9-12] high school in the south had about 3100 kids. To the best of my knowledge there was 1 indian and one korean. Most kids didnt really know anything about India vs Indiana vs Native Americans (Korea was known slightly better).

I think NJ was the leading place for Indians back then though it was still just a handful in every school back then. East asians were of course well represented in parts of the west coast.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2021, 05:59:48 AM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

I don't see Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, this making this entire list invalid. 
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »

I guess some of my favorite Desi movies are

1. 3 Idiots (ofc)
2. My Name is Khan
3. Welcome (2007)
4. Taare Zameen Par
4. Dabbang
5. Joom Barabar Jhoom
6. Housefull 2
7. Bodyguard
8. Dhoom 2
9. Dhoom 3
10. Jab We Met

yeah
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2021, 11:40:34 AM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

Serious question, does that movie actually have a huge gender divide on who likes it vs who doesn’t . Like almost every Indian female I know seems to love that movie while every Indian male I know seems to think it’s overrated(including myself).

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »

1. Dhoom 2
2. Kaho Na Pyar Hai
3. Koi Mil Gaya
4. Don(2006)
6. Krrish
7. Dus
8. Bunty Aur Babli

Serious question, does that movie actually have a huge gender divide on who likes it vs who doesn’t . Like almost every Indian female I know seems to love that movie while every Indian male I know seems to think it’s overrated(including myself).

No, it's because boys are dumb.  Duh!
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2021, 08:44:18 PM »

Even the Indians at the restaurants ask me “are you sure?” And I’m like “bitch did I stutter?  Hit me with that heat”

Myself, I like food that's kind of spicy but not too spicy. Also, as far as lamb vindaloo goes, I've only eaten it once (I think, but I probably ate it other times without realizing it / when it was called a different name). My favourite Indian foods personally are rajma chawalm (I enjoy mixing it with dhai) and kadhi chawal.

A bit unscientific, but I know instantly the vindaloo is going to be the bomb if it's a nice, rich, vivid red color.   It means they didn't hold back on the chilis.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2021, 06:05:36 AM »

A bit unscientific, but I know instantly the vindaloo is going to be the bomb if it's a nice, rich, vivid red color.   It means they didn't hold back on the chilis.

Love when you talk dirty, Vito. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »

All of this talk of Indian food, damn.  I'm ordering from the best Indian place in the city tonight.  Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2021, 10:10:36 PM »

Didn't even know that was a thing. Sounds yummy!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2021, 10:25:34 PM »

Ehh , only the Indian style Pizzas are tasty (Paneer Pizza for example ) but the pastas and soups are definitely not imo . The Indian masalas don’t really fit those foods as well so the taste feels  off imo .

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »

Ehh , only the Indian style Pizzas are tasty (Paneer Pizza for example ) but the pastas and soups are definitely not imo . The Indian masalas don’t really fit those foods as well so the taste feels  off imo .

Oh yes, I have eaten Indian pizzas once or twice before. Okay, as you said, but nothing special, except for a chicken pizza which tasted pretty great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies