Indian-Americans on the Forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Indian-Americans on the Forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Indian-Americans on the Forum  (Read 1932 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2021, 12:08:06 AM »
« edited: December 09, 2021, 09:52:03 PM by CentristRepublican »

I know that PQG (R-TX) and OSR (R-OR) are Indian-Americans (both are from Gujrat, if memory serves correct), West_Midlander (I-NC) is part-Indian (16% North Indian, 6% South Indian), and probably a D-CA avatar or two but I'm not 100% sure, and a D-TX avatar whose name I don't remember are Indian-American. Is there anyone else?

(Note: my edit was that I'd accidentally identified WM as a Republican; he's an Independent.)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 12:09:06 AM »

I know that PQG (R-TX) and OSR (R-OR) are Indian-Americans (both are from Gujrat, if memory serves correct), West_Midlander (R-NC) is part-Indian (16% North Indian, 6% South Indian), and probably a D-CA avatar or two but I'm not 100% sure, and a D-TX avatar whose name I don't remember are Indian-American. Is there anyone else?

Update: The D-TX avatar was Bagel.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 12:10:07 AM »

I am one Tongue
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 02:34:11 AM »

Another reason to like you as a poster.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 08:04:16 AM »

Me, I'm half.  My dad is Punjabi.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 08:09:37 AM »

I know that PQG (R-TX) and OSR (R-OR) are Indian-Americans (both are from Gujrat, if memory serves correct), West_Midlander (R-NC) is part-Indian (16% North Indian, 6% South Indian), and probably a D-CA avatar or two but I'm not 100% sure, and a D-TX avatar whose name I don't remember are Indian-American. Is there anyone else?

Update: The D-TX avatar was Bagel.

He was South Asian but not Indian.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 08:29:52 AM »

I know that PQG (R-TX) and OSR (R-OR) are Indian-Americans (both are from Gujrat, if memory serves correct)

You are correct! Smiley
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 11:53:42 AM »

There’s also pikachu, Sbane, Ishan (fairly obvious one IMO), lfromnj, SilentCal, and Clarko95 if we count mixed-race folks.

I also wonder how many Atlas Indian-Americans were born in the US, and how many are of Gujarati descent (seems like a lot!)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 01:47:10 PM »

What was the first?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »

His views on Trump/January 6/masks are very agreeable to me. Having said that I know he's a pretty controversial poster for some of his foreign policy views and his criticism of Olawakandi.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 02:33:13 PM »

There's a name I haven't heard in forever.  Does he still post here?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 03:06:04 PM »

There’s also pikachu, Sbane, Ishan (fairly obvious one IMO), lfromnj, SilentCal, and Clarko95 if we count mixed-race folks.

I also wonder how many Atlas Indian-Americans were born in the US, and how many are of Gujarati descent (seems like a lot!)

I'm from the New Dehli area (Gurgaon and New Dehli), and though I was born in the US and currently reside in CA, I spent the majority of my life in India.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 04:44:07 PM »

I'm from the New Dehli area (Gurgaon and New Dehli), and though I was born in the US and currently reside in CA, I spent the majority of my life in India.

When did you move to India and when did you move back to the US
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »

Remarkable so many Indian-American posters are high quality contributors.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2021, 04:58:24 PM by CentristRepublican »

When did you move to India and when did you move back to the US

I will say is that I moved back to the US in 2017, four years ago, but if it's all right I'd rather not share when I moved to India as it might be revealing too much information on the internet (no offense to you whatsoever, I just would like to avoid divulging a lot of personal details online).
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 09:16:31 PM »

Probably the old man Indian-American on the Forum.  My parents (father from Bihar, mother from Kerala) moved to New York in summer 1964, and I was born shortly thereafter.

This was before the 1965 Immigration Act--which more than anything created a truly diverse American population into the 21st century.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 09:25:36 PM »

I am Telegu and so is Talleyrand.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 09:30:21 PM »

Probably the old man Indian-American on the Forum.  My parents (father from Bihar, mother from Kerala) moved to New York in summer 1964, and I was born shortly thereafter.

This was before the 1965 Immigration Act--which more than anything created a truly diverse American population into the 21st century.
I am curious on what was the Indian community like in America before the late 1980s/90s (around the time when some of my granduncles came to America, though one of them may have come earlier)?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »

Remarkable so many Indian-American posters are high quality contributors.

Unsurprising, in my opinion.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 09:53:21 PM »

I am curious on what was the Indian community like in America before the late 1980s/90s (around the time when some of my granduncles came to America, though one of them may have come earlier)?

In general, Indian Americans were reasonably well tolerated in that era,  Or at least not overtly disparaged.  Most likely it was because of the sizable professional population (physicians, engineers, scientists) that immigrated to the United States then.  Some of that feeling has probably dissipated since that time as the population has grown substantially and has assimilated more into American culture. 

As for me, I recall numerous occasions in school and social events where I was easily the only Asian Indian (or even person of color)--this persisted all the way through college and into graduate school.  Social activities and sports didn't come naturally, as my parents had not lived American life either.  It took a lot of adjustment and time.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 05:20:22 PM »

Another question: what Indian language do you speak? I know there are a lot of such languages. Some of you might know multiple. As for myself, I can speak a good amount of Hindi but don't know too many words, and I can read/write Hindi a pretty decent amount.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 08:28:55 PM »

Another question: what Indian language do you speak? I know there are a lot of such languages. Some of you might know multiple. As for myself, I can speak a good amount of Hindi but don't know too many words, and I can read/write Hindi a pretty decent amount.

I fluently speak Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Tamil, I'm proficient in Urdu, and I speak a little bit of Marathi and Telugu. 
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »

I'm actually an Independent. Tongue
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »

HarperCanuck is a Gujarati Republican too so there is still a Gujarati Republican trio on here though it could have been a Fantastic Four if S019 was still SNJC
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 09:00:11 PM »

Love my lamb vindaloo extra extra EXTRA spicy.

Even the Indians at the restaurants ask me “are you sure?” And I’m like “bitch did I stutter?  Hit me with that heat”
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies