Besides Buttigieg and Harris... who else from the 2020 primaries could be a major future candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:40:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Besides Buttigieg and Harris... who else from the 2020 primaries could be a major future candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Besides Buttigieg and Harris... who else from the 2020 primaries could be a major future candidate?  (Read 750 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2021, 04:20:45 AM »
« edited: December 06, 2021, 04:29:09 AM by Blue3 »

Besides Buttigieg and Harris... who else from the 2020 primaries could be a major candidate in future Democratic presidential primaries?

I think Warren might be too old. Sanders definitely will be.

Beto, Booker, Castro, Klobuchar, Gillibrand, Inslee all never took off. Could they with a second run and less crowded field?

Dead on Arrival: Bloomberg, Gabbard, Yang, Tim Ryan, de Blasio, Bullock

Were nobodies, will remain nobodies: Patrick, Bennet, Delaney, Messam, Sestak, Moulton, Hickenlooper, Swalwell, Ojeda

Novelty candidates: Marianne Williamson, Steyer

Gravel passed away.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 05:33:27 AM »

Yang possibly.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 02:47:47 PM »

Cory Booker and Julian Castro are the only ones I can see happening.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 03:44:03 PM »

Cory Booker. He's a mainstream Democrat, has charisma and substantial experience in elected office, both as senator and mayor of a big city. In 2020, he just couldn't occupy a clear line that would have given him the chance to overtake Biden and Bernie.

In 2024 or 2028, I would certainly prefer him over Kamala at this point.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 05:43:08 PM »

Cory Booker. He's a mainstream Democrat, has charisma and substantial experience in elected office, both as senator and mayor of a big city. In 2020, he just couldn't occupy a clear line that would have given him the chance to overtake Biden and Bernie.

In 2024 or 2028, I would certainly prefer him over Kamala at this point.
Same as well. Mr Booker himself is a fresh new face that helped revive/clean up Newark politics after years of corrupt mayors and city officials. He may not have as much recognition as like many of the other contenders excluding KH and PB but I agree with your stance sir. 
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 09:51:33 PM »

Castro if he runs for higher office (Senate or Governor) in Texas and wins. Quite frankly I'm surprised he didn't run for Senate in 2018 or 2020 or Governor in 2018 or run for 2022. Booker and Klobuchar also have very slight chances too.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 06:55:29 PM »

There are small chances for Booker, O'Rourke, Castro and Klobuchar.

Klobuchar did finish in the top three in New Hampshire. If Democrats lose in 2024, she might be seen as a potential contender, representing a combination of electability while still representing a major first. She would likely be a high-profile Senator during the next Republican administration.

Castro and O'Rourke need to win statewide races, or serve prominent posts in Democratic administrations.

Democrats recognize that they need African-American voters, and Booker seems like a stronger GE contender than Harris. He could very easily be chosen as a running mate by a white woman (or gay white man) who wins the Democratic nomination. People whose first presidential bids flop often do better as Vice Presidents. See Biden and Harris.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »

Gabbard, as a Republican, if she wants it.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 08:43:45 PM »

he quit the Democratic party to start his own, and flopped bad in NYC
Medal506
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »

Fauci could be a contender if he choose to run which I will admit is highly unlikely.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 09:39:15 PM »

Fauci could be a contender if he choose to run which I will admit is highly unlikely.

Isn’t he even older than Biden?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »

Isn’t he even older than Biden?
And I doubt he'd be interested in running for office.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 11:56:18 PM »

Man, a lot of people ran in 2020 and went absolutely nowhere.

Assuming 2024 is either Biden easily winning renomination or sitting VP Harris as the presumptive nominee, so the next open primary is 2028.

Klobuchar, Booker, Gillibrand, and possibly Bennet as they will likely all still be sitting Senators in 2028.

Obviously Buttigieg, depending on where his political career goes between now and the 2050s.

O'Rourke and Castro if they are able to revive their political careers with a prominent new position, but otherwise no. Swalwell is pretty young, he could very easily become a more prominent figure in the future.

Sanders, Bloomberg, Warren, Inslee, Sestak, Hickenlooper, and Williamson will all be too old or close to it (and many of them irrelevant). Steyer, Patrick, De Blasio, Delaney, Bullock, Ojeda, Ryan, Messam, and Moulton will be irrelevant.

Yang will most likely run again (as a third party?), but will not make nearly the same impact. Gabbard may again, but not necessarily as a Democrat and will probably be DOA regardless.

Ultimately, Booker, Klobuchar, Buttigieg, and possibly Gillibrand are the ones that I can see possibly becoming significant candidates in future cycles.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 12:07:52 AM »

Assuming Biden doesn't run and Harris does, I think both Warren and Buttigeig would run, and Warren might even win the nomination if she can just sweep Iowa/New Hampshire/Nevada, and keep the margins relatively close in the south.

If Harris also doesn't run (she might choose to primary Feinstein instead, for example), I'd at least expect Booker, Hickenlooper, Inslee and Klobuchar to run (though Klobuchar would be DOA after the George Floyd debacle- I'd be shocked if she doesn't get a primary challenge in 2024...maybe even Keith Ellison or Ilhan Omar in her own Senate race). Other than that, maybe Weld or Sanford runs in the Republican primaries against Trump again, but otherwise, it's unlikely Trump draws any primary challenger if he runs.

As for third parties, Yang probably runs a third party bid, and maybe Marianne Williamson joins him (her 2020 campaign would fit right in with the Green Party-maybe she runs for that party's nomination?)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies