World's first living robots can now reproduce, scientists say
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:00:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  World's first living robots can now reproduce, scientists say
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: World's first living robots can now reproduce, scientists say  (Read 776 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:43:11 AM »

Normally I'd post this in the science megathread, but this is pretty groundbreaking:

(CNN) - The US scientists who created the first living robots say the life forms, known as xenobots, can now reproduce -- and in a way not seen in plants and animals.

Formed from the stem cells of the African clawed frog (Xenopus laevis) from which it takes its name, xenobots are less than a millimeter (0.04 inches) wide. The tiny blobs were first unveiled in 2020 after experiments showed that they could move, work together in groups and self-heal.

Now the scientists that developed them at the University of Vermont, Tufts University and Harvard University's Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering said they have discovered an entirely new form of biological reproduction different from any animal or plant known to science.

"I was astounded by it," said Michael Levin, a professor of biology and director of the Allen Discovery Center at Tufts University who was co-lead author of the new research.

"Frogs have a way of reproducing that they normally use but when you ... liberate (the cells) from the rest of the embryo and you give them a chance to figure out how to be in a new environment, not only do they figure out a new way to move, but they also figure out apparently a new way to reproduce."
CNN

Due to the article limit here, I highly suggest reading the whole thing and seeing the clips. As bleak as the future might seem from a scientific perspective, most of us could very well see debilitating conditions like blindness, deafness, paralysis, Alzheimer's, etc. eliminated within our lifetimes.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 02:38:53 AM »

Wait… are they robots or artificial organic life?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 09:21:16 AM »

Why do I feel this is humans playing God and that it can't end well despite the promises?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »

Why do I feel this is humans playing God and that it can't end well despite the promises?

Agreed.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 08:31:07 PM »

Life, uh, finds a way.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 08:43:05 PM »

Wait… are they robots or artificial organic life?

The stem cells are obviously organic. I would argue they're hybrids - more specifically, cyborgs.

Well...
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 11:44:12 PM »

This is a monumental moment in human history. Sad it’s been overshadowed by needless politics and random stuff.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »

This is a monumental moment in human history. Sad it’s been overshadowed by needless politics and random stuff.

With the exception of the atomic bombs being dropped on Japan and the moon landing, have there been many points where a monumental scientific development was met with immediate excitement from the public?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »

Even one that looked like Summer Glau would be deadly. There a documentary about this concept.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 05:58:16 PM »

With the exception of the atomic bombs being dropped on Japan and the moon landing, have there been many points where a monumental scientific development was met with immediate excitement from the public?

I can certainly think of some members of "the public" who weren't particularly happy about the dropping of the atomic bomb, like idl, the people livong in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and their friends and relatives
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »

I can certainly think of some members of "the public" who weren't particularly happy about the dropping of the atomic bomb, like idl, the people livong in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and their friends and relatives

What is the purpose of this post?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 06:58:34 PM »

This is kind of creepy...
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 03:47:27 AM »

Okay, who had grey goo on their top 3 possible apocalyptic events list?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 12:09:58 PM »

Don't worry, we're all gonna die of the COVID vaccines first.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 08:01:06 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2021, 12:56:24 PM by President Scott☀️ »

The gray goo scenario is basically a thought experiment: what is the worst possible thing that could happen and how likely is it? I think that curing these conditions and illnesses is far likelier and outweighs the risk of not using stem cells or modern technology to work towards helping sick or disabled people.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »

The gray goo scenario is basically a thought experiment: what is the worst possible thing that could happen and how likely is it? I think that curing these conditions and illnesses is far likelier and outweighs the risk of not using stem cells or modern technology to work towards helping sick or disabled people.

Death is inevitable
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 12:56:02 PM »

Just going to drop this here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_goo
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 12:42:49 AM »

This appears to be significantly underwhelming. The comparison of these exhibits to a 1940s era computer in the article is off.  While those first-generation digital computers were extremely primitive, they did useful work. If we're going to make an early electronics comparison, these are probably closest to being an individual relay that might eventually be put to use.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 02:41:14 AM »

Yeah, but it made for a good episode of Futurama.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 08:11:24 PM »

The real threat to automation are the car manufacturers, robots are gonna be making parts for cars no humans and fix cars, car mechanics aren't gonna be a necessity and drive trains automatic trains and bullet trains are the future
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies