November 8, 2006 will be a sad day for Democrats.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:12:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  November 8, 2006 will be a sad day for Democrats.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: November 8, 2006 will be a sad day for Democrats.  (Read 769 times)
ucscgaldamez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:15:44 AM »
« edited: October 19, 2006, 12:20:08 AM by ucscgaldamez »

This day is suppose to be their day of celebration after the election. But I have some doubts that they will be able to compete against Republicans GOTV efforts. Although I was optimistic a week ago, after looking at individual races, I can't help but feel that Democrats might just make marginal gains in the House and the Senate. Most Republican incumbents are in Republican strongholds (or slightly Republican). Imagine Democrats just picking up 6 house seats and net gain of 2 senate seats. What a nightmare! But looking back at 2004 and everything that was going on; I can't help but feel that Democrats might not do well on Nov. 7th. I hope my prediction is wrong: Can you imagine Dewine winning Ohio due to GOTV, Whitehouse losing to Chaffee because of independents supporting him, or how about Montana prefering the awful Conrad Burns because of the overall Republican trend of the state. Similar predictions can be said of the house, for instance, Republicans keeping FL-16 and pulling an unexpected upset in Texas 22.

Well...what do you guys think?
I will be looking forward to November 8, the day after the election and commenting on this thread...and all our opinions about the overall outcome.

If Democrats cannot pull moderate gains (8-10 house seats, 4 senate seats) then  there is little hope for them come Nov. 2008 unless they really invest in GOTV efforts. This is crucial.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:18:01 AM »

Can you imagine Talent winning Ohio due to GOTV,

That would be one hell of a GOTV, considering Talent is running in Missouri!
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:20:34 AM »

lol Sorry. Dewine=Talent...same thing.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 12:34:19 AM »

Hmm, it seems we've found the Democratic equivalent of mypalfish. Smiley

We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic about this election. I've learned not to get my hopes up too highly, however, simply due to recent disappointments in this area.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 12:42:23 AM »

^I don't understand the comparison because I don't know who mypalfish is. I'm not sure I wanna know either.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 12:46:46 AM »

I think the Republican GOTV is overrated. A lot of people point to Ohio 2004, but let's look at the last couple polls:

2004-10-31   Survey USA B +2   
2004-10-31   University of Cincinnati B +1   
2004-10-31   Gallup K +4
2004-10-29   Mason-Dixon B +2
2004-10-28   Mason-Dixon B +3
2004-10-27   Strategic Vision B +1

Also note something was seriously screwy with that last Gallup poll. So that's every other poll showing Bush up and close or at +2 (which he got), plus that's what Mason-Dixon said. DeWine is down double digits (or at least close to it), so such an effort is not going to save him. Also here in Minnesota we destroyed the GOP in GOTV, so we can definitely do it too. The GOP did have a good year in 2002, but we did just as well in 2000. Any advantage the GOP has here is probably only about enough to change 1-2 points, not double digits.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 12:48:51 AM »

^I don't understand the comparison because I don't know who mypalfish is. I'm not sure I wanna know either.

I shouldn't have rushed to judgement of you, and I apologize for that. My comment was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. Welcome to the forum.

Basically he was a guy who came on right before the 2004 elections who said he was a Republican campaign operative but that the GOP was headed for a massive defeat due to what he saw as a failure of their GOTV operation. You can see the now infamous thread stickied at the top of the 2004 Presidential election section.
Deano963

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 12:51:45 AM »

A superior GOTV effort cannot overcome an 11-point deficit (the average lead of Brown over Dewine in the last five polls), or even an 8-point deficit (Tester over Burns).

Strategists from both parties do concede the Repubs have a better GOTV program, but say that it can make up 3 points in the polls at most on Election Day. That might pull the republican accross the line in TN and MO and VA, but not in OH, RI, MT, and PA. I see no reason to panick b/c of Repub GOTV efforts. Besides, the differences between 2006 and 2004 are huge. Dems will pick up at least 4 Senate seats and at least 20 House seats - of that I am sure. Personally I think they will pick up even more House seats and probably 1 more Senate seat at least, but I'm being very conservative in my official estimates just to be safe.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 12:55:56 AM »

At least in Minnesota we have a better GOTV program. The GOP was utterly humiliated by it in 2004. Hopefully national Dems were given some tips.

Not that we need it for the Senate seat, but it could make the difference in the governor's race, and maybe pull Wetterling and Walz across the finish line.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 01:07:28 AM »

I really hope Wetterling wins this race! Well, at least you get to vote for Walz MN-1. I wish I could live in a competitive congressional district---my vote would be much more important in determining the outcome. Here where I live, the Democrat gets at least 65% of the vote. Howard Berman got 71% of the vote in 2004.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 01:11:49 AM »

Gutknecht has started out sending negative mailings against Walz. He's showing concern, a good sign. I did a massive lit drop for Walz last night. I think I'll do the apartments next block next week, I'll probably pick up more flyers this weekend when I do more phonebanking for the DFL.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 07:26:36 AM »

This day is suppose to be their day of celebration after the election. But I have some doubts that they will be able to compete against Republicans GOTV efforts

I think that the intensity among Democrats will, in 2006, be more than enough to offset the power of the GOP machine

If you were to divide the electorate into Base GOP, Soft GOP, Independent, Soft Dem and Base Dem, as POS/GQRR did in their recent survey of the 48 most competitive House districts survey for National Public Radio, what distinguishes the Soft GOP from all other groups is that their intensity level is the only one in negatives, which, in effect, means that they are the least likely to vote. Democrats can hope that the GOP machine's efforts fall on deaf ears Grin beyond the base

Dave
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 07:30:25 AM »

I think the GOTV effort for the Republicans will see smaller margins of victory than the polls suggest, but I don't believe it will deprive the Democrats the ability to gain a majority in the House. I am also optimistic about the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies