Bold take: Evers might be more likely to win than either Whitmer or Shapiro (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:50:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bold take: Evers might be more likely to win than either Whitmer or Shapiro (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bold take: Evers might be more likely to win than either Whitmer or Shapiro  (Read 1003 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »

It's not impossible (more likely he outperforms Whitmer than Shapiro, I'd say), and Wisconsin is pretty much interchangeable with MI/PA in terms of partisan lean, but I'd guess all of them lose, albeit by less than 5.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »

It's not impossible (more likely he outperforms Whitmer than Shapiro, I'd say), and Wisconsin is pretty much interchangeable with MI/PA in terms of partisan lean, but I'd guess all of them lose, albeit by less than 5.

Wisconsin is redder than Michigan or Pennsylvania post 2018, so you’d be wrong on that front.

I also have a strong feeling that Shapiro’s race will be the closest one, even if he loses. Evers could very well lose by 5 based on some very early preliminary data from non-partisan polling companies I’ve seen, though that is still very early data.

Keep in mind that Walker was the incumbent, as was Wolf, so I'm not sure that's the best comparison. Baldwin did overperform Stabenow by several points, not to mention WI-GOV was the closest in 2010, so I'd say that the data is a bit more mixed, but in the last couple of presidential elections, they've voted pretty close to each other.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »

Wisconsin is redder than Michigan or Pennsylvania post 2018, so you’d be wrong on that front.

I also have a strong feeling that Shapiro’s race will be the closest one, even if he loses. Evers could very well lose by 5 based on some very early preliminary data from non-partisan polling companies I’ve seen, though that is still very early data.

Keep in mind that Walker was the incumbent, as was Wolf, so I'm not sure that's the best comparison. Baldwin did overperform Stabenow by several points, not to mention WI-GOV was the closest in 2010, so I'd say that the data is a bit more mixed, but in the last couple of presidential elections, they've voted pretty close to each other.

Republicans have significantly more room to grow in Wisconsin than Michigan or Pennsylvania, even if all three stares will be purple for the foreseeable future.

They also have more room to fall in the suburbs, even if the WOW counties remain Republican for several more cycles (the only one that could come close to flipping any time soon is Ozaukee, but still.) Also, population loss in Detroit could be very costly to Democrats. Wisconsin could continue voting a point or two to the right of both states, but I don't see it voting substantially differently, except perhaps in very specific circumstances (if the Republican incumbents have different approval ratings in 2026, for example.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies