What do you want to have happen with control of the House & Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:22:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What do you want to have happen with control of the House & Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who do you want to control the House? The Senate?
Democrats / Democrats

Democrats / Republicans

Republicans / Democrats

Republicans / Republicans

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: What do you want to have happen with control of the House & Senate?  (Read 3105 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »

Vote
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »

Democrats / Republicans
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:27:43 PM »

Option 2
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »

The Dems are likely to win the house, but the senate is a tossup and can go either way at this time.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 06:50:45 PM »

GOP/GOP

I don't trust the Democrats to not raise taxes.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 07:02:13 PM »

GOP/GOP

Yes, But Republicans want to put gays in concentration camps.

Roll Eyes Yeah, I bet.
Conan
conan

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:52:04 PM »

GOP/GOP

Cheap... these taxes dont affect you.
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:07:42 PM »

GOP/GOP
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »

Democrat/Democrat but Senate Republicans seem more pragmatic than House Republicans, so I'd settle for the House

Besides, there will be more moderates in the Democratic House Caucus should the Democrats win, which will be a good thing all round

Dave
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 08:30:44 PM »

Democrat/Democrat

But if a Democrat were to win the 2008 presidential election, I'd slightly prefer a Democratic House, GOP senate. I simply do not trust one party control of the government, even if that party is my own.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »

Republicans/Republicans
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »

GOP/GOP

Oh that's right, the Dems only want to raise taxes on the "rich", right? Roll Eyes Just campaign rhetoric to charge the middle and lower middle class voting bases.

Either way, there are more than one kind of tax that in fact hurts everybody. Business tax hikes? Everyone is hurt by the inflation, especially if they decide to tax oil companies extra.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

Democrats/50-50 so we can keep Cheney too busy with doing his Constitutionally mandated job of presiding over the Senate to get into mischief
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 09:37:38 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2006, 09:39:43 PM by nclib »

Democrats / Democrats, though I am a little concerned for whether this is the best thing for the Democratic Party in 2008.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 09:38:59 PM »

Democrats / Democrats, though I am a little concerned fo whether this is the best thing for the Democratic Party in 2008.

Well, either way, we get to clean up all of the elephant sh**t, and we get to get blamed for everything we have to do to clean it up. The so called media and GOP will be on our asses.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 11:09:18 PM »

GOP/GOP

As long as you trust the President to veto any such increase, there would be nothing to worry about.

As for me, Democrats/Democrats. We need checks and balances in government.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 11:11:09 PM »

GOP/GOP

Oh that's right, the Dems only want to raise taxes on the "rich", right? Roll Eyes Just campaign rhetoric to charge the middle and lower middle class voting bases.

Either way, there are more than one kind of tax that in fact hurts everybody. Business tax hikes? Everyone is hurt by the inflation, especially if they decide to tax oil companies extra.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion about what the Democrats would do if they take control, but recent history of what they have done when they had total control (Presidency, Senate, and House, whereas of course now it would be at most the House and Senate only) doesn't support that claim.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 11:13:33 PM »

GOP/GOP

And Bush would sign a tax increase.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 11:43:04 PM »

GOP/GOP

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion about what the Democrats would do if they take control, but recent history of what they have done when they had total control (Presidency, Senate, and House, whereas of course now it would be at most the House and Senate only) doesn't support that claim.

Assuming that you are talking about my claim that they will raise taxes, I will have to paraphrase a quote from Clinton himself and say elections are not about the past, but about the future. The Democratic Party I read about is not the Democratic Party of the past. It is no longer a party led by moderates who seek fiscally responsible means of managing our economy. Charlie Rangel himself claimed that there was "no question about it" that Democrats would consider hiking taxes. (If you have an account, you can read the Wall Street Journal article here) other wise, you can read the more bias GOP blog on it. Rangel isn't alone, I read about many congressional Democrats who wish to raise taxes on the "rich".
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 11:49:31 PM »

GOP/GOP

Assuming that you are talking about my claim that they will raise taxes, I will have to paraphrase a quote from Clinton himself and say elections are not about the past, but about the future. The Democratic Party I read about is not the Democratic Party of the past. It is no longer a party led by moderates who seek fiscally responsible means of managing our economy. Charlie Rangel himself claimed that there was "no question about it" that Democrats would consider hiking taxes. (If you have an account, you can read the Wall Street Journal article here) other wise, you can read the more bias GOP blog on it. Rangel isn't alone, I read about many congressional Democrats who wish to raise taxes on the "rich".

I agree that the Democrats, if they had their druthers, would roll back the Bush tax cuts. You say the party is no longer fiscally responsible, but this proposal would be the exact definition of fiscal responsibility (at least certainly as opposed to our current economic course; one could argue we should cut spending in order to get the budget back in line instead, but no one is currently proposing that).

Not to mention the Democrats have made "pay as you go" requirements a big part of their agenda if they take back control. Again, you may choose not to believe them and think they are only saying that to get elected (and it certainly wouldn't be the first time politicans or paries have done that), but past history has certainly not shown them to be the more fiscally irresponsible of the two parties.

I was mainly referring to your claim that they would raise taxes for the poor and middle class as well, which did not happen in 1993-1994 despite also facing a large budget deficit at that time.

And as I said, there is still the matter of whether Bush would sign such a bill (obviously he wouldn't), as it is highly unlikely there would be a 2/3 majority necessary to override a veto. For that reason alone, the Democrats may not even propose it, though I would still hope they do.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 01:56:22 AM »

Dems, obviously
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 02:02:51 AM »

I want huge Democratic majorities in both. I'll only get that in the House though...but we may get a slight one in the Senate.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 02:03:37 AM »

Option 1 of course.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 03:07:25 AM »

Democrats in both.

I don't really buy the line that the failure of the Democrats in 2006 to take back Congress will be a good thing for the Democrats or a bad thing for the Republicans.  The only way that it could be a good thing for the Democrats is if they'll screw everything up between now and 2008, and if that's the case, we might as well just give up and not bother.  I don't see how that's a given at all.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 06:05:40 AM »

D/D. If the Democrats just control a single chamber, they would most likely be viewed as an obstacle to getting things done.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies