Meanwhile in the Solomon Islands
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:34:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Meanwhile in the Solomon Islands
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meanwhile in the Solomon Islands  (Read 490 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2021, 07:29:16 PM »
« edited: November 28, 2021, 02:18:09 AM by Meclazine »

Looks like the Chinese expansionist plans are starting to cause friction in the Pacific:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/solomon-islands-unrest-china-us-post-american-world/100652772

Chinatown in Honiara burnt down and Chinese killed amid allegations of Chinese bribery of politicians in the country with some not liking the Chinese takeover.

compucomp

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 08:53:14 PM »

Looks like the Chinese expansionist plans are starting to cause friction instead Pacific:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/solomon-islands-unrest-china-us-post-american-world/100652772

Chinatown in Honiara burnt down and Chinese killed amid allegations of Chinese bribery of politicians in the country with some not liking the Chinese takeover.

What a piece of jingoist China-hating propaganda. It is such a biased and slanted analysis that it is going to tip off its axis. The rioting is all from one side and it's not the pro-Chinese side. Because it's anti-China, the riots and violence are justified and righteous? And China is to blame for the carnage? How would you like it if someone wrote an article blaming Democrats and Biden, saying they're responsible for the carnage on 1/6 because they stole the 2020 election?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 10:16:42 PM »

Looks like the Chinese expansionist plans are starting to cause friction instead Pacific:

What a piece of jingoist China-hating propaganda. It is such a biased and slanted analysis that it is going to tip off its axis. The rioting is all from one side and it's not the pro-Chinese side. Because it's anti-China, the riots and violence are justified and righteous? And China is to blame for the carnage? How would you like it if someone wrote an article blaming Democrats and Biden, saying they're responsible for the carnage on 1/6 because they stole the 2020 election?

It's not a matter of "China being to blame" necessarily, but people from a relatively rich and powerful country setting up shop somewhere like the Solomon Islands and then having the local populace riot against their presence is not a new story. The big-picture historical significance of this story is generally not flattering to the people who are, in the moment, the victims.
compucomp

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 10:37:49 PM »

It's not a matter of "China being to blame" necessarily, but people from a relatively rich and powerful country setting up shop somewhere like the Solomon Islands and then having the local populace riot against their presence is not a new story. The big-picture historical significance of this story is generally not flattering to the people who are, in the moment, the victims.

It seems political rioting and violence is totally acceptable to you when it's "on your side". How about I flip it around and say that history will prove Trump and his numbskull supporters to be the righteous ones on 1/6 and Joe Biden will be revealed to have stolen the 2020 election?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 11:02:13 PM »

It seems political rioting and violence is totally acceptable to you when it's "on your side". How about I flip it around and say that history will prove Trump and his numbskull supporters to be the righteous ones on 1/6 and Joe Biden will be revealed to have stolen the 2020 election?

How about you make a series of separate posts in this thread that build on one another and respond to points raised by your interlocutors, rather than rewording your first post as an accusation whenever someone attempts to engage with you?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 11:05:36 PM »

Generally, attempting to blame the Chinese diaspora for the actions of the Chinese government doesn't go well. As a Chinese American, I wish they did many things differently but unfortunately their own people have little say in how the government over there is run, let alone people who are of ethnic Chinese descent in other countries. I may dislike the CPC, but if you come and try to burn down my house, I will fight you.
compucomp

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »

How about you make a series of separate posts in this thread that build on one another and respond to points raised by your interlocutors, rather than rewording your first post as an accusation whenever someone attempts to engage with you?

Do I really need to make any other point when you're justifying political violence, that's outright racist in this case, as righteous just because it is anti-China? How would you like to hear about all the supposed "voting irregularities" or "suspicious absentee ballot counting" in AZ or PA or GA as justification for why the numbskull Trumpists were in the right to storm the Capitol?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 12:03:58 AM »

Generally, attempting to blame the Chinese diaspora for the actions of the Chinese government doesn't go well. As a Chinese American, I wish they did many things differently but unfortunately their own people have little say in how the government over there is run, let alone people who are of ethnic Chinese descent in other countries. I may dislike the CPC, but if you come and try to burn down my house, I will fight you.

It certainly wasn't my intent to justify the actual actions that occurred here, and I apologize for wording my (as the kids are saying) "systemic" take in a way that implied otherwise. I don't approve of "Shoot the Boer" black-nationalist farm attacks in South Africa either, but I would offer the same top-level, big-picture #analysis that I'm offering here in response to the suggestion that some on the right make that "reverse racism" is all that's going on those cases.

Do I really need to make any other point when you're justifying political violence, that's outright racist in this case, as righteous just because it is anti-China? How would you like to hear about all the supposed "voting irregularities" or "suspicious absentee ballot counting" in AZ or PA or GA as justification for why the numbskull Trumpists were in the right to storm the Capitol?

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 04:31:36 AM »

How would you like it if someone wrote an article blaming Democrats.....

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »

It certainly wasn't my intent to justify the actual actions that occurred here, and I apologize for wording my (as the kids are saying) "systemic" take in a way that implied otherwise. I don't approve of "Shoot the Boer" black-nationalist farm attacks in South Africa either, but I would offer the same top-level, big-picture #analysis that I'm offering here in response to the suggestion that some on the right make that "reverse racism" is all that's going on those cases.

Fair enough, but given that Australia is the country sending troops to the Solomon islands (not China), it would seem they are in more of the position that white South Africans occupied, which is that of a relatively rich and powerful external power setting up shop.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 11:27:22 AM »

Anti-Chinese racism is definitely a thing, and its no better or "more justified" than any other racism.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »

Anti-Chinese racism is definitely a thing, and its no better or "more justified" than any other racism.

Quite a relevant local issue here in Southampton, in fact. There have been numerous incidents across the city.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 09:21:07 PM »

Fair enough, but given that Australia is the country sending troops to the Solomon islands (not China), it would seem they are in more of the position that white South Africans occupied, which is that of a relatively rich and powerful external power setting up shop.

That's a good observation and one that I hadn't considered, especially since the Solomon Islands are still a Commonwealth realm, aren't they? Not that that necessarily implies continued de facto colonial status on its own (I'm not one of those weird QE2 a-logs you see sometimes these days), but combined with an Australian troop presence it's certainly suggestive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies