Who wins Washoe County next year? Cortez Masto or Laxalt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:45:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who wins Washoe County next year? Cortez Masto or Laxalt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will carry Washoe County next year?
Catherine Cortez Masto

Adam Laxalt

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Who wins Washoe County next year? Cortez Masto or Laxalt?  (Read 930 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2021, 10:14:55 PM »

Who will carry Washoe County next year? Catherine Cortez Masto or Adam Laxalt?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2021, 11:03:25 PM by MATTROSE94 »

Probably Catherine Cortez Masto narrowly. Adam Laxalt has all the other counties in Nevada locked up however.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 10:36:36 PM »

Probably Catherine Cortez Masto narrowly. Adam Laxalt has all the other counties in Mecada locked up however.

Clark?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 06:15:10 AM »

Laxalt.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »

In this environment/a strongly R-leaning year?

Washoe:

50.82% Catherine Cortez Masto (D, inc.)
46.31% Adam Laxalt (R)

Clark:

53.66% Catherine Cortez Masto (D, inc.)
44.31% Adam Laxalt (R)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 10:14:52 AM »

Washoe:

46.31% Adam Laxalt (R)

Clark:

44.31% Adam Laxalt (R)

I could also see Clark and Washoe voting about the same.
UncleSam

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »

Washoe:

46.31% Adam Laxalt (R)

Clark:

44.31% Adam Laxalt (R)
So you think Cortez Masto holds on by a point of two even in a strong R year?

That’s reasonable if so, just that’s what those county-level results would imply to me.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »

Washoe:

46.31% Adam Laxalt (R)

Clark:

44.31% Adam Laxalt (R)

That’s reasonable if so, just that’s what those county-level results would imply to me.

Its the 2020 results, he's being sarcastic.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »

I was mocking the "populous counties can’t swing Republican" or "voters in populous Democratic counties aren’t amenable to the right Republican messaging" logic, which has now been disproven in several elections (most notably FL-PRES 2020 and VA-GOV 2021) yet is so prevalent on this forum because people prefer to cling to irrational or lazy theories like "Nevada is Titanium Lean D" or "the math just isn’t there for Republicans in NV." Observers generally tend to exaggerate how 'inelastic' or 'static' NV is — Republicans only need a fraction of the swing they managed in places far more 'inflexibly Democratic' than Washoe/Clark, e.g. Loudoun, Prince William, etc., to flip Nevada, and the state very much has a history of swinging with the nation and voting very close to the national result. For those reasons, I don’t think Cortez Masto holding on in a "strong R year" is particularly "reasonable" at all, to be honest. I could see her holding on in a 2020-type environment (in case you didn’t notice, I just posted the exact 2020 NV-PRES margins in my first post), but there’s really no good, non-memey reason to believe she has a good chance of holding on to her seat in a "strong R year," much less a Republican wave election. I said the same things about Dean Heller in 2017/2018, who, while no egregiously "weak" incumbent or anything, was (ironically) just as overrated by pundits/this forum despite representing a Clinton state in an environment far more favorable to Democrats than 2016.

I expect Washoe to be very close either way (Laxalt +<1, if I had to call it right now, but Cortez Masto barely carrying it even while losing statewide is definitely possible). The range of plausible outcomes in Clark is a little wider, but I currently expect Masto to win it by 3-5 points (a margin insufficient for a statewide win). The deep-red rural/small-town areas should have very high turnout, which further underscores that Cortez Masto has absolutely zero room for error and basically needs to match Biden's Washoe/Clark margins, which is a very tall order in this environment and considering the swings we’ve seen elsewhere. I also wouldn’t be surprised by much more pronounced R swings in the Las Vegas area than is currently expected — it’s the kind of metro I could see Republicans making major inroads in in a wave environment given how reliant Democrats are on a ground/turnout operation that has shown some signs of crumbling, unusual strength among unionized and non-college-educated (particularly Hispanic, but also AA) voters, and turnout of Democratic-leaning voters who have traditionally been more low-propensity. Of the most competitive Senate races (AZ/NV/GA/NH/PA), this one has the greatest potential for a 'surprisingly' lopsided R margin of victory. I also think the longer this whole COVID situation drags on, the worse the situation will become for (NV) Democrats.

I will also add that for all of Laxalt's alleged weaknesses as a candidate, he’s probably 'stronger' than some of the current R frontrunners in the other races (Parnell, Masters, Bolduc, etc.) even if it’s just by virtue of being a generic Republican. Cortez Masto also has very few strengths in her own right — she has no distinguishable brand like Kelly, is fairly easy to paint as a party-line vote beholden to the radical left, and was very reliant on the top of the ticket in her first election. These types of incumbents don’t tend to perform nearly as well when the environment radically shifts in favor of the other party. You could argue that Maggie Hassan is somewhat similar to or 'weaker' than her (and I’d probably agree) but Hassan at least has the partisan lean and D trend of her state going in her favor, whereas Cortez Masto really hasn’t. It’s not even ludicrous to argue that Cortez Masto’s the most vulnerable Senate Democrat in 2022, even though I still think Kelly edges her out (narrowly), at least for now. Yet from reading this forum, you’d get the impression that this race is an uphill battle for Republicans.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 01:55:29 PM »

I don't think I'm the one obsessed with this race, at this point, lol. Anyway, in this environment, it's pretty much a Toss-Up, perhaps a slight Tilt D, since it might vote a bit to the left of the state.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »

Probably Catherine Cortez Masto narrowly. Adam Laxalt has all the other counties in Nevada locked up however.

Agree with the first sentence. The second sentence is absolutely wrong, however, since Clark is likely Democratic in this scenario, and very far from safe Republican.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »

I think Masto narrowly, but I still think she loses, Washoe seems to be at the point where it votes left of the state
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 10:21:38 PM »

Masto did not carry Washoe in 2016, while Hillary did.

They both ended up winning by 2.4%
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 11:54:27 AM »

Laxalt +2.

CCM can still win without; as she did in 2016.

(Prediction can, as always, change in the meantime)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 11:58:17 AM »

Even Clark?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »

Even Clark?
Yeah. There is a lot of voter anger regarding the lockdowns. That anger coupled with Republican gains with African Americans and Hispanics should be enough for Adam Laxalt to win Clark County by a 5% margin.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 11:15:14 PM »

Even Clark?
Yeah. There is a lot of voter anger regarding the lockdowns. That anger coupled with Republican gains with African Americans and Hispanics should be enough for Adam Laxalt to win Clark County by a 5% margin.

Okay troll.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2021, 01:03:56 AM »

I'll say Laxalt. I think this is the race mostly likely to become a landslide against the incumbent.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 05:38:53 AM »

More likely Laxalt than Masto, but Washoe and Clark have gotten closer together in recent years. It is in fact possible for R's to lose both and still win the state. I think the more disputed area of discussion here is Clark, which has trended Republican despite being a big metro area with a large non-white population. I think people are going to be surprised how close it is next year. It is 75% of the state after all, you can't win without a large swing out of Clark, and rural Nevada is already 70-80% R.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies