University of South Alabama Names Jo Bonner as New President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:41:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  University of South Alabama Names Jo Bonner as New President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: University of South Alabama Names Jo Bonner as New President  (Read 335 times)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »

Due to the political nature of the appointee I thought it's appropriate to post here.

https://www.alreporter.com/2021/11/10/jo-bonner-named-university-of-south-alabamas-next-president/

The University of South Alabama’s board of trustees on Wednesday selected Gov. Kay Ivey’s chief of staff, Jo Bonner, as the university’s next president.

Bonner was selected as the university’s next president over two other finalists, which were Michael Tidwell, immediate past president at The University of Texas at Tyler, and Damon Andrew, dean and professor at the College of Education at Florida State University.

There's already a good bit of pushback due to Bonner's voting record in Congress and lack of qualifications: https://mynbc15.com/news/local/some-minority-members-of-usas-student-body-pushing-back-against-appointment-of-jo-bonner

An online petition, critical of Bonner's voting record, has garnered more than 1,300 signatures in less than 48 hours.
[note: USA has a student body of 16,000]
The change.org petition cites Bonner's record of voting against same sex marriage and LGBTQ issues while representing South Alabama in congress, as well as his stand on women's and civil rights issues.

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 11:41:44 PM »

Hearing some talks of a protest in front of the Board of Trustees meeting on the 2nd, which is when Bonner is supposed to officially become president .
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 12:29:45 AM »

At the very least Bradley Byrne would have been a much better choice.

By Republican standards anyway, he was fairly decent.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 04:57:58 PM »

Plot twist: They meant to hire John Boehner but the person who was in charge of tracking him down heard his name wrong
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »

Jo Bonner's sister, Judy Bonner, previously served as the president of Bama (2012-15) and provost of Mississippi State (2016-19.)  I guess academia runs in the family

Either way, Jo Bonner will be a perfectly fine president for a fourth-rate school like USA
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 05:13:10 PM »

Jo Bonner's sister, Judy Bonner, previously served as the president of Bama (2012-15) and provost of Mississippi State (2016-19.)  I guess academia runs in the family

Either way, Jo Bonner will be a perfectly fine president for a fourth-rate school like USA

Frankly, this is kind of what I thought too. Also, it's probably about as unwoke a University one can find, even by Southern standards.. I don't know Bonner's record on civil rights, unless hes done something to truly earn the ire of even even non activist African Americans, Yeah I don't see his opposition to LGBTQ rights, though dreadful, As being a Veto for some place like USA
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies