Would you vote to censure Paul Gosar?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:45:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you vote to censure Paul Gosar?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Would you vote to censure Paul Gosar?  (Read 441 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2021, 12:40:17 AM »

Would you have voted to censure Congressman Paul Gosar (R-AZ) for him posting a parody video of the anime Attack on Titan that depicted him violently attacking AOC and Joe Biden?
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 12:52:13 AM »

I don't condone posting cringey and violent anime parody videos to attack political opponents, but I think voting to censure him is just giving him the attention he craves and sets a precedent for a Republican House majority censuring a Democratic Representative over some stupid tweet.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 12:52:38 AM »

No, censure voting is counter-productive and usually hostile to the principles of free speech.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 01:01:52 AM »

I don't condone posting cringey and violent anime parody videos to attack political opponents, but I think voting to censure him is just giving him the attention he craves and sets a precedent for a Republican House majority censuring a Democratic Representative over some stupid tweet.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 02:28:29 AM »

Thia. Would vote against stripping him from committees, but would vote to censure him
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »

It's important to note that the censure is a whole different thing to stripping him from committees, which won't achieve anything beneficial.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »

Posting an*me is enough to warrant such a response.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »

Yes, not because he posted something violent but because he's a weeb.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 02:12:08 PM »

Sure, both censure and committee stripping. Not just because of the video but because he's a white supremacist for god's sake. Why is "they might strip Democrats of committee assignments for no reason" an argument for restraint favouring dangerous people like Gosar?

This is just surrendering to fear tactics, the second step to letting authoritarians take over (the first being giving them a platform because every political opinion is legitimate regardless of how extreme).
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 05:09:24 PM »

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 08:33:08 PM »

Because of repeatable actions like from people like Gosar, some people now face jail sentences for several years and in times where politicians aren't always safe like some were genuinely scared during the Jan 6th Capitol Attack because of the security breach and because of precedents in the form of attacks being fatal or severely diminishing one's quality to live, both in America and foreign country, like Ask Gabrielle Giffords for example to what inciting violence can lead to, even if it's just intended "as a joke", i believe that censoring Paul Gosar and stripping his from his committees isn't enough, i think he and several other politicians need to be put for court for their actions and years of building hate and polarization in the country.

Democracy is not just about making sure one gets elected after 4 years. It is about taking your responsability, representing all the people from your district (not just the ones you voted for), advocating for the issues you believe in to shift the debate if you don't agree with the majority and creating a long term plan that will benefit everyone, not just yourself or your own kind. That's essential to protect a democracy. When one or several don't do that anymore, there will be democratic backsliding which is currently the case.

So yes, i do strongly condemn these actions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies