LGC 4.8 - Police Transparency Act - STATUTE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:47:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 4.8 - Police Transparency Act - STATUTE
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 4.8 - Police Transparency Act - STATUTE  (Read 547 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2021, 08:57:55 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2021, 11:01:56 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Police Transparency Act

An act to require active police personnel to have body cameras

1. All on-duty police officers and SWAT shall be required to have body-worn cameras.

2. Allot $100 million in funds to be available as grant funding for disbursment to local and state police departments to modify uniforms to have built-in body cameras, and to provide funds for the procurement of such cameras.

3. Any department seeking reimbursement for the purchase of body cameras or the modification of uniforms must provide proof of purchase of equipment or services directly related to the purchase of body cameras or modification of uniforms subsequent to the passage of this act, and shall be reimbursed for not more than the equivalent of $400 per officer

Compliance
1. If any officer refuses to wear a body camera or tampers with it, that officer will be sentenced to a maximum of 1 year in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Other
1. This bill will take effect 1 year after passing.

Sponsor: Utah Neolib
Occupying: Slot 2 of 6

Sponsor, please advocate for your bill.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 09:01:42 PM »

My bill is albeit a simple one, to require police to have body cameras. This is heavily supported by the people of Lincoln, and will make the police finally have more transparency and accountability. Body cameras help the people make sure that bad police officers don’t get their way in causing people harm.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 11:50:33 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2021, 11:54:35 PM by Utah Neolib »

Police Transparency Act

1. All on-duty police officers and SWAT shall be required to have body-worn cameras.

2. Allot $1 million in funds to local police departments to modify uniforms to have built-in body cameras.

Compliance
1. If any officer refuses to wear a body camera or tampers with it, that officer will be sentenced to a maximum of 1 year in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Other
1. This bill will take effect 1 month after passing.

Sponsor: Utah Neolib
Occupying: Slot 2 of 6

Sponsor, please advocate for your bill.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 09:44:47 AM »

I broadly agree with the thrust of this bill, but I wonder if $1 million is sufficient to actually cover the costs of modifying uniforms, and if we could make that number higher and have it help cover the purchase of cameras as well. I would be interested to hear where that $1 million figure came from, and if the sponsor would be open to revising it upward.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 07:24:44 PM »

I broadly agree with the thrust of this bill, but I wonder if $1 million is sufficient to actually cover the costs of modifying uniforms, and if we could make that number higher and have it help cover the purchase of cameras as well. I would be interested to hear where that $1 million figure came from, and if the sponsor would be open to revising it upward.
Sure
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »

Amendment listed as Posted on: November 17, 2021, 22:50:33 is adopted
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 09:26:43 PM »

Will you be offering this as an amendment?
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »

Will you be offering this as an amendment?

I intend to, and I am doing some calculations at the moment to find a figure that I will be using. It should be submitted shortly.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 03:30:08 PM »

Is this something that isn’t already mandated?
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 10:37:20 PM »

I would like to see if this proposal is redundant, but in the meantime I will make the following proposal to try and cover more of the costs.

Police Transparency Act

2. Allot $1 million $10 million in funds to local police departments to modify uniforms to have built-in body cameras, and to provide funds for the procurement of such cameras.

Compliance

Other
1. This bill will take effect 1 month year after passing.

I still think this comes well short of covering the costs. It seems that we would have to spend (by my calculations) close to $100 million to actually fund this entire program, and that does not seem feasible to me. I also think 1 month just does not offer enough time to procure and create proper procedures for the usage of cameras, so I think we should push the deadline back. I support the central idea of the bill and will support it if the amendment is adopted.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 10:42:23 PM »

I would like to see if this proposal is redundant, but in the meantime I will make the following proposal to try and cover more of the costs.

Police Transparency Act

2. Allot $1 million $10 million in funds to local police departments to modify uniforms to have built-in body cameras, and to provide funds for the procurement of such cameras.

Compliance

Other

I still think this comes well short of covering the costs. It seems that we would have to spend (by my calculations) close to $100 million to actually fund this entire program, and that does not seem feasible to me. I also think 1 month just does not offer enough time to procure and create proper procedures for the usage of cameras, so I think we should push the deadline back. I support the central idea of the bill and will support it if the amendment is adopted.

Given our large surplus I wouldn't oppose allocating $100 Million to this, however I also have no objection to the amendment as offered. However you wish to go forward is fine.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 10:48:26 PM »

Police Transparency Act

Compliance

Other

Given our large surplus I wouldn't oppose allocating $100 Million to this, however I also have no objection to the amendment as offered. However you wish to go forward is fine.

Considering that this is a one-time expense to get departments through the transition period, I could support that. I'll withdraw the previous amendment and offer one for $100 million.

Police Transparency Act

2. Allot $1 million $100 million in funds to local police departments to modify uniforms to have built-in body cameras, and to provide funds for the procurement of such cameras.

Compliance

Other
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 10:59:56 PM »

Any objection to the amendment?
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 11:14:25 PM »

I offer my apologies to the Speaker, but after speaking with the sponsors I would like to refine the amendment once more if it will be allowed.

Police Transparency Act

2. Allot $1 million $100 million in funds to be available as grant funding for disbursment to local and state police departments to modify uniforms to have built-in body cameras, and to provide funds for the procurement of such cameras.

3. Any department seeking reimbursement for the purchase of body cameras or the modification of uniforms must provide proof of purchase of equipment or services directly related to the purchase of body cameras or modification of uniforms subsequent to the passage of this act, and shall be reimbursed for not more than the equivalent of $400 per officer

Compliance

Other

The basic idea here is that a grant system addresses concerns about helping departments cover the cost while also not creating a vast new workload for the regional government, forcing it to allocate millions of dollars, having to decide who gets what and why. This creates a fairer, more transparent, and more efficient system.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 11:19:19 PM »

Okay, no objection to that.