What if Trump Won The 2020 Election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:01:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Trump Won The 2020 Election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Trump Won The 2020 Election?  (Read 1482 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« on: December 04, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »

That doesn't matter. The House elects the president state-by-state, with each state getting one vote. So if the election were to progress to the House, the Republicans would almost always win, and would win by a lot in this case. I do wonder how a delegation with an equal number of Democrats and Republicans would vote (like PA, which is 9-9, MI, which is 7-7, or MN, which is 4-4).
Oh yeah. For some reason I just thought Falterin was talking about the speakership rather than the presidency.

I think FalterinArc himself thinks that the president is elected with each representative getting one vote, since I don't know what else would make the vacancy in LA-05 such a big deal other than a tied house.
I can assure you I do not. A house being unable to elect a speaker for potentially months is what I was referring to

Why? Do all 435 members need to be present for a vote? Or something else?

A speaker needs to secure the support of a majority of the house. With a 217-217 tie, the house would likely be unable to find a speaker with majority support, that is at least until Ron Wright dies in February

The majority of the house voting. If Salazar and Valadao are both absent due to COVID along with Hastings as OTL the Democrats have a 216-215 effective majority.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies