Atlas Forum Cited as Source by the Washington Post
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:36:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Forum Cited as Source by the Washington Post
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Forum Cited as Source by the Washington Post  (Read 859 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2021, 02:26:08 PM »

So I just finished my daily read of the Washington Post and was pleasantly surprised to see Atlas Forum cited as a source:

About this story
Potentially competitive races as judged by Cook Political Report. 2020 results from Dave Leip’s Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/09/senate-seats-up-2022/

Curious if anybody else noticed this and if there are other places where Atlas has been cited by mainstream media outlets and if so in which contexts?

If so would be interesting for folks to post links here and maybe we can make this a bit of a library.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »

Not the forum unfortunately, just Dave's main site. The link they list is from the results page.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »

Not the forum unfortunately, just Dave's main site. The link they list is from the results page.

So basically any person clicking on it would not see the links for the forum at the top of the page and only registered members would see that should up on their browser?

I clicked on the link and got my normal view, except the "start page" being the 2020 election results page.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 05:47:59 PM »

oh dear i hop they don't ever cite me as a source i just type whatever
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 06:22:05 PM »

oh dear i hop they don't ever cite me as a source i just type whatever

Atlas Forum member Hillgoose quoted credible first hand accounts of the Republican audit of the 2020 Arizona Presidential Election results as a volunteer and leaked information regarding how the instructions were to reject ballots filled out with blue pens

Don't have the link at my fingertips but pretty sure you were mentioned in another article from a few months back.     Wink

Enjoy your ten minutes of fame while it lasts!!!!
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »

lol
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 07:09:24 PM »

Curious if anybody else noticed this and if there are other places where Atlas has been cited by mainstream media outlets and if so in which contexts?

Here is an article on WSJ about Dave's Redistricting App, although that doesn't qualify on "citing the forum" grounds.

There was a post in 2008 accusing Al Franken of sexual abuse that got dredged up by journos at the New Yorker during his harassment scandal.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 07:29:28 PM »

Here is an article on WSJ about Dave's Redistricting App, although that doesn't qualify on "citing the forum" grounds.

There was a post in 2008 accusing Al Franken of sexual abuse that got dredged up by journos at the New Yorker during his harassment scandal.

Awesome!

So Dave's Redistricting App is associate with our own Dave Leip?   (Now makes me wonder if I should cancel my WSJ subscription after all to save a few bucks a month).

WOW!!!

Whatever happened to Sam Spade?

He was def an Atlas legend when I first started lurking & joining the forum around '06 / '08.

Hasn't posted since 2012 Huh

Appreciate the references to Atlas both directly (Dave's Redistricting App) plus the Al Franken references!!!

Score--- maybe some other Atlas "Old Timers" might remember direct / indirect links to the Forum?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 07:34:01 PM »

Awesome!

So Dave's Redistricting App is associate with our own Dave Leip?   (Now makes me wonder if I should cancel my WSJ subscription after all to save a few bucks a month).

WOW!!!

He was def an Atlas legend when I first started lurking & joining the forum around '06 / '08.

Appreciate the references to Atlas both directly (Dave's Redistricting App) plus the Al Franken references!!!

Score--- maybe some other Atlas "Old Timers" might remember direct / indirect links to the Forum?
Actually, Daves Redistricting App is ran by Dave Bradlee, not Dave Leip. Its 2 different people there.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 10:18:54 PM »

Dave Leip's Election Atlas (the map site, not this forum) is actually incredibly well-known in political circles and has been mentioned frequently in the media and in political non-fiction. One notable example is in The Big Sort by Bill Bishop, a book about electoral geography and the clustering effect of today's partisan coalitions. Here Bishop describes how his research partner found Atlas to assist in his book-

Initially, Cushing and I were so interested in the economic effects of the Big Sort that we paid no attention to whether the phenomenon meant anything to politics. That was an oversight(...)It just made sense that this internal migration had changed the nation’s politics, too. Then I received one of those magnificent midnight e-mails from Cushing.

He had access to presidential voting results for each U.S. county since 1948, collected by the web-based election data impresario David Leip.

Hard to think of something more dramatic and exciting than finding a website from an election data impresario.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 11:36:41 PM »

Seems like Wikipedia uses Atlas as a source for like all their election results.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 12:07:26 AM »

Seems like Wikipedia uses Atlas as a source for like all their election results.

I've noticed on the presidential election pages that the electoral and popular results tables cite Atlas as a source. Most of these citations date back to 2005, when those pages were first written.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »

I’ve cited the main site for papers written in college
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 10:36:40 AM »

They should start citing olowokandi's posts IMO.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 10:56:07 AM »

Imagine a newspaper article like this:

However, despite declining approval ratings, President Biden remains at 304 electoral votes for months, political analyst and blogger Olawakandi from Talk Election says, to which generally (and famously) refers to as the "304 freiwall map". As for the senate, the Democrats remain in a favorable position, too, as Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) is likely to lose his seat, Olawakandi, formerly known as "MR. KAYNE WEST", further concludes. Mr. Olawkandi, currently writing under the display name "Mr. Mandela Barnes", has had a long record of political analysis in nearly 60,000 documented blog entries, making the law school attendee one of America's most trusted election and polling analysts. In fact, Mr. Olawakandi sees the potential for an expanded Democratic majority in 2023, to which he refers as the "secular trifecta". "Trump will never be prez again", Mr. Olawakandi finally summarizes, as "Rs embraced corruption and insurrection", refering to the January 6 insurrection and Republican responses.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 09:36:32 PM »

Awesome!

WOW!!!

Actually, Daves Redistricting App is ran by Dave Bradlee, not Dave Leip. Its 2 different people there.

Thanks for clarifying...     Smiley

Sounds like TiltsAreUnderrated seemed to knew something and had initially assumed they were separate, but somewhere in the back of my mind I always wondered...

Seems a bit like two peas out of the same pod in a sense, but either way "Dave's not here man".
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 06:58:22 PM »

He was opposed to gay marriage and rather anti-LGBT.

He left the forum as homophobia became less tolerated by the forum administration at that time and rather than run into issues with it he left. At least this is how I recall it going down. He has occasionally returned since and fielded questions on the anniversaries of his departure.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »

However, despite declining approval ratings, President Biden remains at 304 electoral votes for months, political analyst and blogger Olawakandi from Talk Election says, to which generally (and famously) refers to as the "304 freiwall map". As for the senate, the Democrats remain in a favorable position, too, as Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) is likely to lose his seat, Olawakandi, formerly known as "MR. KAYNE WEST", further concludes. Mr. Olawkandi, currently writing under the display name "Mr. Mandela Barnes", has had a long record of political analysis in nearly 60,000 documented blog entries, making the law school attendee one of America's most trusted election and polling analysts. In fact, Mr. Olawakandi sees the potential for an expanded Democratic majority in 2023, to which he refers as the "secular trifecta". "Trump will never be prez again", Mr. Olawakandi finally summarizes, as "Rs embraced corruption and insurrection", refering to the January 6 insurrection and Republican responses.

Hah, actually laughed loudly multiple times, when I read this.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 07:31:37 PM »

Hah, actually laughed loudly multiple times, when I read this.
That's not a post. It's art.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies