Could January 6 have happened in 2017?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Could January 6 have happened in 2017?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could January 6 have happened in 2017?  (Read 483 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »

Do you think an event like January 6 would have been possible if Trump lost in 2016 to Hillary? Of course he would have not conceded and called the election rigged. Do his supporters pull off another January 6 or at least attempt to do so? I think at least they wouldn't have succeeded because Obama was still the commander in chief and he would have reacted very quickly and effectively.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »

No, I don't think so.

Most people, even a lot of Trump supporters, expected him to lose. And Trump being an incumbent makes it a little bit different than in 2016 when it was an open race. I think many of his supporters would still scream "stolen election" but even in 2017 the country was in a different place, and I don't see that kind of thing happening. The kind of behavior you saw on 1/6 can only really happen after four years of indoctrination, not just a few months on the campaign trail.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »

No, Trump didn’t have anywhere near the enthusiastic support from the base as a whole in 2016 as he did in 2020 . Also keep in mind that the anger over lockdowns probably played a huge role in this as well as many people were just looking for a reason to show their frustration and that wouldn’t have happened in 2016.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 04:51:21 PM »

Pretty sure some Ds did riot in 2017 in DC after Trump won. There was an Insturrectionist storming of the capitol by anti Kavanaugh nuts too.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »

No, I don't think so.

Most people, even a lot of Trump supporters, expected him to lose. And Trump being an incumbent makes it a little bit different than in 2016 when it was an open race. I think many of his supporters would still scream "stolen election" but even in 2017 the country was in a different place, and I don't see that kind of thing happening. The kind of behavior you saw on 1/6 can only really happen after four years of indoctrination, not just a few months on the campaign trail.
There’s also no Covid in Late Obama or Early Trump times.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 09:45:06 PM »

Pretty sure some Ds did riot in 2017 in DC after Trump won. There was an Insturrectionist storming of the capitol by anti Kavanaugh nuts too.

This may be the most ridiculous, strained, and blatantly disingenuous whataboutism I’ve ever seen. The “anti-Kavanaugh nuts” didn’t even illegally enter the Capitol, let alone smash/steal s—t and smear s—t all over Paul Ryan’s office wall. Protests also do not equal riots. And protests organized by activists are not the same as protests led by the President and/or a presidential candidate who is tacitly endorsing and stirring up the worst elements of the protesters; Hillary conceded the night of the election while Trump STILL has not conceded.

The way you traitors keep trying to downplay 1/6 and gaslight away what we all saw with our own lying eyes as if it didn’t happen and/or wasn’t that bad is, well, deplorable.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 02:33:26 AM »

This may be the most ridiculous, strained, and blatantly disingenuous whataboutism I’ve ever seen. The “anti-Kavanaugh nuts” didn’t even illegally enter the Capitol, let alone smash/steal s—t and smear s—t all over Paul Ryan’s office wall. Protests also do not equal riots. And protests organized by activists are not the same as protests led by the President and/or a presidential candidate who is tacitly endorsing and stirring up the worst elements of the protesters; Hillary conceded the night of the election while Trump STILL has not conceded.

The way you traitors keep trying to downplay 1/6 and gaslight away what we all saw with our own lying eyes as if it didn’t happen and/or wasn’t that bad is, well, deplorable.

The Washington Post reported that more than 300 were arrested during the anti-Kavanaugh riots
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 05:26:39 AM »

Protests dont equal riots and riots dont equal the literal fn civil war. There's a reason only partisan Democrats are still fixated on some idiots last year who broke a bookshelf and rubbed poop on the wall in Congress. If anyone is is trying to gaslight its the side still claiming there was an Insturrectionist treason coup worse than 9/11 carried out by a bunch of dumb rioters who had no apparent coordinated plans of what to do and no guns. And that partisan exaggeration has been used to engage in censorship, witch hunts, mass surveillance, mass arrests, cruel treatment in prisons, and demands for a literal fn domestic PATRIOT Act. Keep overreaching and see what happens electorally.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies