Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:21:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 930870 times)
bilaps
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26725 on: November 09, 2023, 10:01:38 AM »

Ukrainians have had some success in the last days at Zaporozye and Kherson fronts, but Russians are advancing at Avdeevka and Bakhmut and now not only on the northern flank but in the south also. Looks like Russians have estbalished a foothold west from the famous railway track north of Avdeevka which means a threat to Stepove and Berdichi. And those two are key to Avdeevka.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26726 on: November 09, 2023, 10:21:00 AM »

The EU has come up with a workaround Hungary’s veto of aid so a 53 billion dollar aid package is coming through soon
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-09/eu-mulls-alternative-ukraine-funding-plan-to-bypass-hungary-veto?embedded-checkout=true#xj4y7vzkg
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26727 on: November 09, 2023, 10:28:41 AM »

Ah, poor ickle smol bean Orban Smiley
CanadianDemocrat
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #26728 on: November 09, 2023, 09:36:16 PM »

NATO should also remove the unanimity requirement to join NATO,  similar to what the EU is now doing. NATO admission should require a supermajority instead of unanimity. It is wrong to have 1 country out of 31 NATO members blocking a new member joining.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #26729 on: November 10, 2023, 04:34:59 AM »

https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2023/11/09/will-zelensky-wait-for-the-inevitable/

"Will Zelensky wait for the inevitable?"

A good example is airpower. Ukraine wants 100 to 150 F-16s.  Realistically it has no where to put them and few qualified pilots to fly them, even if they were available. Two disassembled F-16s were trucked into Ukraine in early November. Now there are 5 F-16s in Ukraine, but they have to be put back together. The two handfuls of F-16s soon to be transferred to Ukraine are not likely to make a difference. To begin with, these are old models of the F-16s that won’t be easy to maintain and can’t match top of the line Russian aircraft. Worst yet, any offensive use of the transferred F-16s need to be able to operate in a dense Russian air defense battlefield environment.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26730 on: November 10, 2023, 12:29:23 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 02:01:02 PM by Hindsight was 2020 »

Russia hasn’t been able to destroy Ukraine’s current air force made up of old MIGS and their air defenses have had numerous embarrassing incidents but old F16s would be no challenge to them? They’re not going to magically give Ukraine control over the sky but anyone arguing they aren’t going to be a nightmare for Russia’s air force and air defense is being disingenuous

(Edit: Oh wait I should known better the author of jaichind‘s article is a pro-Russian hack lol that explains the disingenuous claims about the F-16 capabilities vs Russia)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26731 on: November 10, 2023, 02:32:04 PM »

Holy moly his claims of equipment losses match up with visually confirmed open sources so the causality figures are probably accurate 😱
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26732 on: November 10, 2023, 02:43:27 PM »

I hope jaichind and co get paid their weight in rubles because cluttering the thread with all these laughable propaganda pieces must be quite exhausting.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26733 on: November 10, 2023, 03:40:03 PM »

I hope jaichind and co get paid their weight in rubles because cluttering the thread with all these laughable propaganda pieces must be quite exhausting.

The ignore button is a wonderful thing, which generally I am reticent to do for protracted periods of time.

However in this particular case, it definitely makes the thread much more readable.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26734 on: November 10, 2023, 03:47:12 PM »

Meanwhile as someone who has taken for the most part a voluntary time out from posting on this thread I do still check in on a regular basis.

Surprised to see nobody appears to have mentioned Ukrainian forces have been developing a small beachhead across the Dnipro river East of Kherson City.

Here are a few non-paywalled articles...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/11/08/amphibious-tractors-with-tank-engines-the-secret-weapons-of-ukraines-river-crossing-offensive/?sh=3739962915b2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/11/07/first-ukrainian-marines-secured-a-bridgehead-across-the-dnipro-river-now-theyre-shuttling-armored-vehicles-across/?sh=48a93ab6f496

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/23779

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hints-of-a-military-breakthrough-for-ukraine-overshadowed-by-concerns-about-the-future-1.7024150
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26735 on: November 10, 2023, 04:07:08 PM »

Wrong thread Vosem
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #26736 on: November 10, 2023, 04:08:09 PM »

whoopsie-daisie, my b
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26737 on: November 10, 2023, 04:21:42 PM »

The ignore button is a wonderful thing, which generally I am reticent to do for protracted periods of time.

However in this particular case, it definitely makes the thread much more readable.

I have him on ignore, which has indeed made this thread tolerable, but I still see his posts when other people quote him.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26738 on: November 10, 2023, 04:57:06 PM »

I have him on ignore, which has indeed made this thread tolerable, but I still see his posts when other people quote him.
That’s why I never quote him when I respond to something he said. You’re welcome
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26739 on: November 10, 2023, 04:59:11 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 05:06:31 PM by lfromnj »

The post above you is quoting the general of the Ukrainian army claiming 10k Russians were killed in one location in 3 weeks. Totally not propaganda though unlike regular Western media posts which Jaichind posts
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #26740 on: November 10, 2023, 05:07:56 PM »

The post above you is quoting the general of the Ukrainian army claiming 10k Russians were killed in one location in 3 weeks.

The original message didn't say killed but loss of manpower. Which is commonly used for both killed, wounded and captured. Which makes the 10k number high but not implausible considering how little russians care about their low quality soldiers.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26741 on: November 10, 2023, 07:05:43 PM »

The post above you is quoting the general of the Ukrainian army claiming 10k Russians were killed in one location in 3 weeks. Totally not propaganda though unlike regular Western media posts which Jaichind posts
As cityofsinners said it’s total loss but Noel mixed that up also as I mentioned the other figures he mentioned are in line with visual confirmed losses
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26742 on: November 10, 2023, 07:57:40 PM »

As cityofsinners said it’s total loss but Noel mixed that up also as I mentioned the other figures he mentioned are in line with visual confirmed losses

Well I think that generally most of on this thread can agree not to automatically trust casualty figures and loss of military hardware.

It is also true that in a war of attrition loss of manpower / hardware does not automatically confer advantage to the side with is attriting the other at higher levels.

Perception of victory also counts... quite frankly if Ukraine were to establish a significant bridgehead of the Snipro East of Kherson City where armored units can move in force, the terrain actually tends to favor Ukraine, since the marshy terrain is not capable of supporting the same type of trench based Russian defensive layers.

I would imagine a significant loss of Russian occupied territory in Kherson Province would certainly amount to a PR victory in Washington where a significant faction of a certain political party is getting "Weak on Russia" when it comes to funding UKR military $$$.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26743 on: November 10, 2023, 09:24:55 PM »

Well I think that generally most of on this thread can agree not to automatically trust casualty figures and loss of military hardware.

It is also true that in a war of attrition loss of manpower / hardware does not automatically confer advantage to the side with is attriting the other at higher levels.

Perception of victory also counts... quite frankly if Ukraine were to establish a significant bridgehead of the Snipro East of Kherson City where armored units can move in force, the terrain actually tends to favor Ukraine, since the marshy terrain is not capable of supporting the same type of trench based Russian defensive layers.

I would imagine a significant loss of Russian occupied territory in Kherson Province would certainly amount to a PR victory in Washington where a significant faction of a certain political party is getting "Weak on Russia" when it comes to funding UKR military $$$.
I still have my doubts about the crossing Kherson campaign getting serious as being able to move a significant amount of men and equipment over the river to sustain a serious breakthrough will be difficult
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26744 on: November 11, 2023, 05:41:11 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-10/eu-says-highly-unlikely-it-will-meet-ammo-pledge-to-ukraine

"EU Says Highly Unlikely It Will Meet Ammunition Pledge to Ukraine"

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26745 on: November 11, 2023, 06:55:50 AM »

Happy 1 year anniversary of Kherson’s liberation 🎉
bilaps
« Reply #26746 on: November 11, 2023, 08:08:17 AM »

Somehow Russia lost 10000 men, hundreds of vehicles, 7 planes (without one visual evidence of those planes btw) and still manages to continue it's offensive and gains territory daily.

Map by pro-ukrainian sources btw.

And when I see Zaluzhny mentioning Avdeevka at all, it makes me think Ukrainians will withdraw earlier than we thought.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26747 on: November 11, 2023, 10:42:29 AM »

Nice to see Germany stepping up 😁
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26748 on: November 11, 2023, 02:11:55 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/11/11/nordstream-bombing-ukraine-chervinsky/

"Ukrainian military officer coordinated Nord Stream pipeline attack"

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26749 on: November 11, 2023, 02:34:04 PM »

What happened to being skeptical of what the Washington Post reports?
The Washington Post reported it.  I am happy for the "liar" to be the Washington Post who printed an article without digging into how authentic the story is.  Of course that would just mean that one should be skeptical of what Washington Post and other collective West MSM reports on the war which I think is the case anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies