Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:47:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 929567 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26500 on: October 20, 2023, 09:18:53 AM »
« edited: October 20, 2023, 09:53:45 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

Lol Putin did another Avdiivka run yesterday into today and it went as bad as the last one 😂

CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #26501 on: October 20, 2023, 11:20:16 AM »

Even with these huge numbers of lost tanks/BMPs Russia won't run out anytime soon. They have the ability to refurbish Soviet-era vehicles and produce some new ones.

I would look more into the loss of artillery/helicopters/aircraft. Those are harder to replace and without them any offensive gets even harder.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #26502 on: October 21, 2023, 04:38:42 AM »

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/how-will-ukraine-war-end-206987

"How Will the Ukraine War End?"

There is a dawning realization in the political West that the war is not going to end with a military victory for Ukraine and that it is not going to end by attaining the goals necessary to force Russia to concede Ukraine’s key demands at the negotiating table. It is long past the moment when Ukraine is in the best position “on the battlefield [to] be in the strongest possible position at the negotiating table.”

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26503 on: October 21, 2023, 05:56:13 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/20/ukrainian-parliament-votes-to-ban-orthodox-church-over-alleged-links-with-russia

"Ukrainian parliament votes to ban Orthodox Church over alleged links with Russia"

This aligns with Ukraine's effort to re-define itself (I feel against reality) as part of the West Slav civilizational circle versus the East Slav civilizational circle
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #26504 on: October 21, 2023, 10:30:49 AM »

Boy, all that hand-wringing from the Israeli government about how they just had to stay neutral on Ukraine vs Russia because of Reasons™️ and they can’t even get a condemnation of Hamas from Russia when they need it most. Great geopolitical strategy, Likudniks!  Unamused

Israel has treated Ukraine terribly over the past year and a half. I don't know why Zelensky is still trying to suck up to them.

To get more of their support, maybe? Since Russia is aligning with Palestine.

Cozying up to Israel will make Ukraine toxic to a lot of the more neutral parties. Ukraine is far more popular on the international stage than Israel and I don't understand why he'd try to jeopardize that. Look at how much America's obsequiesness to Israel has hurt us in the middle east.
While this is just anecdotal evidence from the Ukrainians I’ve managed to interact with through various discords and OSINT the general attitude is these “neutral countries” ie Brazil, South Africa, most ME countries are already just pro-Russia and putting on a two-face act so who cares about upsetting them. Also some are holding out hope that doing this also means that Israel will finally send them some Iron Dome missiles

Cross-Posting because the discussion directly relates to the Russia-Ukraine War.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26505 on: October 21, 2023, 11:48:04 AM »

😬

Good reminder with Russia “LEROY JENKINS” moment in Avdiivka that the UA counterattack still continues lol
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26506 on: October 22, 2023, 12:27:41 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/20/ukrainian-parliament-votes-to-ban-orthodox-church-over-alleged-links-with-russia

"Ukrainian parliament votes to ban Orthodox Church over alleged links with Russia"

This aligns with Ukraine's effort to re-define itself (I feel against reality) as part of the West Slav civilizational circle versus the East Slav civilizational circle
Russia vs Ukraine is in time becoming more and more like India vs Pakistan.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26507 on: October 22, 2023, 10:48:52 PM »

Interesting 🤔
Logical

« Reply #26508 on: October 23, 2023, 02:12:03 AM »

Not good actually. One of the main critiques of the counteroffensive was that they used new brigades stuffed with green conscripts instead of reinforcing the battered but battle tested "old" brigades. These new brigades would suffer disproportionate casualties before they get used to and adapt to the realities of the battlefield.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26509 on: October 23, 2023, 04:03:13 AM »

https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/finanzminister-lindner-hat-zu-wenig-geld-eingeplant-milliardenstreit-um-ukraine-85825408.bild.html

"Billion dollar dispute over Ukraine aid"

The USA is not the only place where Ukraine aid is stuck.  Germany is now also trying to figure out where to get the $5 billion EUR that it promised for Ukraine aid.  Most likely there needs to be a supplemental budget.  Not clear where the money is going to come from.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26510 on: October 23, 2023, 04:03:57 AM »

Not good actually. One of the main critiques of the counteroffensive was that they used new brigades stuffed with green conscripts instead of reinforcing the battered but battle tested "old" brigades. These new brigades would suffer disproportionate casualties before they get used to and adapt to the realities of the battlefield.

Ceaser 49BC:  I set forth to fight an army without a leader (Pompeian force in Hispania), so as later to fight a leader without an army (Pompey in Greece.)

Putin 2023AD: I set forth to fight a less well-trained Ukrainian army with advanced NATO weapons, so as later to fight a well-trained NATO army without advanced NATO weapons
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26511 on: October 23, 2023, 06:13:33 AM »

Ceaser 49BC:  I set forth to fight an army without a leader (Pompeian force in Hispania), so as later to fight a leader without an army (Pompey in Greece.)

Putin 2023AD: I set forth to fight a less well-trained Ukrainian army with advanced NATO weapons, so as later to fight a well-trained NATO army without advanced NATO weapons
I could only imagine your reaction if Ukraine did something like this
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26512 on: October 23, 2023, 06:17:48 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2023, 07:21:28 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

They might not be just putting green conscripts in these new brigades though and honestly I’m not even sure that is what the issues was over still having too many commanders who still are practicing outdated Soviet doctrine tactics
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #26513 on: October 23, 2023, 07:46:40 AM »

They might not be just putting green conscripts in these new brigades though and honestly I’m not even sure that is what the issues was over still having too many commanders who still are practicing outdated Soviet doctrine tactics
I doubt it.

Lindsey Graham was very impressed about the planning.

But attacking the fortified strongpoints head on, while moving slowly on an open field, is very Russian.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #26514 on: October 23, 2023, 05:04:46 PM »

I read this thread, and it sounds like Ukraine is annihilating Russia. Then I look at the territory map here, and it tells a completely different story. Not sure which is more correct, but wish they told the same story.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26515 on: October 24, 2023, 12:33:01 AM »

I read this thread, and it sounds like Ukraine is annihilating Russia. Then I look at the territory map here, and it tells a completely different story. Not sure which is more correct, but wish they told the same story.

Problem is Atlas posters are quite open about their biases and aren't giving a balanced reporting of the situation, which leads to the impression you describe. One would need to read a selection of sources on both sides of the war to come to a realistic understanding of the situation on the ground.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26516 on: October 24, 2023, 12:48:05 AM »

Technically both can be true. In WW1 for example Germany held foreign territory even at the very end while no German territory (other than colonies) was occupied by the Allies, but Germany did not have the capacity to continue the war.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26517 on: October 24, 2023, 01:40:34 AM »

Technically both can be true. In WW1 for example Germany held foreign territory even at the very end while no German territory (other than colonies) was occupied by the Allies, but Germany did not have the capacity to continue the war.

Both can be wrong. It's kind of a stalemate.

As for WW1, there were revolutions in Germany and Austria-Hungary.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26518 on: October 24, 2023, 02:44:40 AM »

Both can be wrong. It's kind of a stalemate.

As for WW1, there were revolutions in Germany and Austria-Hungary.

I said it's possible for Russia to lose while holding Ukrainian territory, we'll have to see if that is what happens.

Obviously there were revolutions and they contributed to the defeat, but it's believing the 'stab in the back' myth to think it was the main cause. More importantly, military resistance broke down-mainly because Germany did not have enough soldiers to resist the Allies, and also because morale collapsed on the frontlines (hundreds of thousands of soldiers deserted or surrendered in the final months of the war).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26519 on: October 24, 2023, 06:07:16 AM »

Problem is Atlas posters are quite open about their biases and aren't giving a balanced reporting of the situation, which leads to the impression you describe. One would need to read a selection of sources on both sides of the war to come to a realistic understanding of the situation on the ground.
Ukrainian sources can be bias but there is no good Russian source to give a realistic view of the ground especially with Putin cracking down on them in the recent months to not report any setbacks. Also it’s like Pericles said just because Russia launched a disastrous attack on Avdiivka or the Ukrainian counterattack in the south is still ongoing doesn’t mean that the Russian lines are completely collapsing
bilaps
« Reply #26520 on: October 24, 2023, 07:32:05 AM »

Lol, should I quote your posts from previous page? Seems like the rumors of Russian demise at Avdeevka were greatly exaggarated.

I see some Russian and Soviet flags flying high.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26521 on: October 24, 2023, 07:36:33 AM »

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-says-israel-hamas-war-shows-west-must-ramp-up-arms-production/

"Ukraine says Israel-Hamas war shows West must ramp up arms production"

Ukraine must be feeling the pinch of some ammo it needs going to Israel.  The issue here is it takes years to construct the capacity to produce war material at scale.  During its USSR days, Ukraine was the center of the USSR military-industrial complex but since 1991 most of it has been left to degrade.

I think in the short and medium run Ukraine will have to deal with the USA triaging between Israel's and Ukraine's needs for ammo where there are overlapping needs.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26522 on: October 24, 2023, 07:47:53 AM »

Lol, should I quote your posts from previous page? Seems like the rumors of Russian demise at Avdeevka were greatly exaggarated.

I see some Russian and Soviet flags flying high.
The vid got geolocated 2 hrs ago they just stuck a flag on the northern part of the trash heap they got near last while the rest is grey zone/UA held 🙄

bilaps
« Reply #26523 on: October 24, 2023, 07:50:02 AM »

This guy is really going to die on a Waste Heap hill

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26524 on: October 24, 2023, 08:04:59 AM »

This guy is really going to die on a Waste Heap hill

The map you just linked shows the waste hill isn’t captured, plus you’re the one saying it’s a big deal for them because you didn’t want to admit this counterattack has sucked for the Russians 🙄
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies