Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:24:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 987 988 989 990 991 [992] 993 994 995 996 997 ... 1176
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 955101 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24775 on: July 28, 2023, 01:21:04 PM »

Russia-Africa summit.  Who attended and who led the African state delegation.

Brazil was also kinda present with Dilma Rousseff in the Russia-Africa summit since she’s the BRICS bank president!

I guess the bank president had to be there to deal with the expansion of membership since so many in Africa want to join since the war began. Not just them though, I get the idea that Middle East is also excited about a possibility of expansion. UAE leader just this week called Lula in order to ask for his approval for UAE to become member of not just the bank as they are currently, but of BRICS itself.

Not sure I love the idea of non-restricted expansion, if stuff like G7 and BRICS have any meaning is because they are not diluted between a bunch of countries like G20 is. It allows for more focus with smaller membership.

I favor the creation of a new parallel expanded forum of BRICS+ where there’s more opening to invite a larger amount of countries to join. You could have each BRICS and BRICS+ meetings every two years each, substituting the current tradition of a meeting every year.

That way you assure meeting happen every year, every odd year with only the core five countries, with even years dedicated for BRICS+ expanded membership.

You can create different initiatives designated for both BRICS and BRICS+ but separately like they were their own entities. And you also don’t have to change the awesome and symbolic acronym.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24776 on: July 28, 2023, 10:11:52 PM »

For some perspective:

Ukraine launched it's counteroffensive 2 months ago, ever since then they have taken 10 settlements. Russians have recently taken 4 in Luhansk. That means in total Ukrainians have only a net gain of....  

6 villages
Even in your manipulative whining, the Russian army sucks. Just laughter.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24777 on: July 28, 2023, 10:35:56 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2023, 10:41:54 PM by Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦 »

"“We drive ourselves round and round in anxious circles about what Russia is thinking about this war, and we’re not letting ourselves realise that the Russians will find ways out for themselves . . . They don’t need for us to have our focus groups and our studies and our exit ramps. Anthropologically speaking, our exit ramps are not applicable to their highways, if you’ll forgive that stupid metaphor?”

He quickly alights on a more elegant turn of phrase: “It’s two different fairy tales, as the Poles say.”"

Naturally, the West does not understand Russia. Even I did not understand Russia, although I was always surrounded by Russian culture and lived for some time in two Russian cities. Those people who seemed to me to be lone psychopaths, who, in theory, should make up a very tiny percentage in society, turned out to be this society itself and the state above it. It's unbelievable until you face it.

I used to be offend by the way Russians are shown in movies from far abroad, but since 2022, Russians have done everything to look even more offensive to themselves in reality. Now their cinematic images even look like embellishment.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24778 on: July 28, 2023, 10:36:58 PM »

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24779 on: July 29, 2023, 12:54:50 AM »

Naturally, the West does not understand Russia. Even I did not understand Russia, although I was always surrounded by Russian culture and lived for some time in two Russian cities. Those people who seemed to me to be lone psychopaths, who, in theory, should make up a very tiny percentage in society, turned out to be this society itself and the state above it. It's unbelievable until you face it.

I used to be offend by the way Russians are shown in movies from far abroad, but since 2022, Russians have done everything to look even more offensive to themselves in reality. Now their cinematic images even look like embellishment.

We are NOT "a nation of psychopats", despite all our shortcomings. That's sure. Easily manipulated (for most part) by authorities - true. Some other shortcomings are also present. But psychos - no.... And we had proved it many times  in 1980th- 1990th.... As i have said earlier - what we have now is mostly a result of 15 years of consistent brainwashing. History knows such periods in other countries history (including now democratic Germany, Italy, Japan and many other). That will pass, as it passed in these countries...
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24780 on: July 29, 2023, 02:08:24 AM »

We are NOT "a nation of psychopats", despite all our shortcomings. That's sure. Easily manipulated (for most part) by authorities - true. Some other shortcomings are also present. But psychos - no.... And we had proved it many times  in 1980th- 1990th.... As i have said earlier - what we have now is mostly a result of 15 years of consistent brainwashing. History knows such periods in other countries history (including now democratic Germany, Italy, Japan and many other). That will pass, as it passed in these countries...
Alas, the problem is much deeper than 15 years of brainwashing.  This is at least 106 years of intense brainwashing that hit the minds of the peasants of the former Russian Empire. And this mind is quite specific. For example, centuries of Christianity and a century of atheism could not cure them of paganism and wild superstitions. The revolutionary Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité did not succeed either. Even the nationalism of the Russian nation itself, conceived by Russian intellectuals in the 19th century, turned out to be warped by their minds. These are still people of the Middle Ages.

However, the mind of Medieval peasants is quite common in the world. This is noticeable even in the unexcelled popularity of stupid mobile games like match-three, or things like Tiktok, for example. Even the fact that, with the help of Marxism and atomic bombs, a real Lucifer was raised in Russia on this soil is also not unique, because there is also the PRC.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24781 on: July 29, 2023, 02:11:39 AM »

We are NOT "a nation of psychopats", despite all our shortcomings. That's sure. Easily manipulated (for most part) by authorities - true. Some other shortcomings are also present. But psychos - no.... And we had proved it many times  in 1980th- 1990th.... As i have said earlier - what we have now is mostly a result of 15 years of consistent brainwashing. History knows such periods in other countries history (including now democratic Germany, Italy, Japan and many other). That will pass, as it passed in these countries...
Alas, the problem is much deeper than 15 years of brainwashing.  This is at least 106 years of intense brainwashing that hit the minds of the peasants of the former Russian Empire. And this mind is quite specific. For example, centuries of Christianity and a century of atheism could not cure them of paganism and wild superstitions. The revolutionary Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité did not succeed either. Even the nationalism of the Russian nation itself, conceived by Russian intellectuals in the 19th century, turned out to be warped by their minds. These are still people of the Middle Ages.

However, the mind of Medieval peasants is quite common in the world. This is noticeable even in the unexcelled popularity of stupid mobile games like match-three, or things like Tiktok, for example. Even the fact that, with the help of Marxism and atomic bombs, a real Lucifer was raised in Russia on this soil is also not unique, because there is also the PRC.

Agree with some statements, disagree with other. Let it remains this way.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24782 on: July 29, 2023, 06:55:24 AM »

We are NOT "a nation of psychopats", despite all our shortcomings. That's sure. Easily manipulated (for most part) by authorities - true. Some other shortcomings are also present. But psychos - no.... And we had proved it many times  in 1980th- 1990th.... As i have said earlier - what we have now is mostly a result of 15 years of consistent brainwashing. History knows such periods in other countries history (including now democratic Germany, Italy, Japan and many other). That will pass, as it passed in these countries...

Lots of rebellions in Tsarist days, too.

Russia is in a bad place right now, that is totally undeniable and I am sure you would agree.

But there is no such thing as an irredeemable people, at the end of the day.

Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24783 on: July 29, 2023, 07:02:04 AM »

Indeed, re-educating from childhood is a quick and easy solution, but then it will look like mass assimilation, which is unacceptable. Russian society must evolve independently. Although it will take many decades.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24784 on: July 29, 2023, 07:08:37 AM »

Lots of rebellions in Tsarist days, too.

Russia is in a bad place right now, that is totally undeniable and I am sure you would agree.

Of course -i agree. But that happens sometimes...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #24785 on: July 29, 2023, 01:59:00 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #24786 on: July 29, 2023, 02:31:06 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2023, 02:34:52 PM by Storr »

He complains "these are your Chuvash devils". The Chuvash are a Turkic minority from the Urals (that practice Eastern Orthodoxy, unlike some other ethnic Turkic minority groups in Russia which practice Islam). Unsurprisingly, these comments must have provoked a strong backlash at home because the commander "Zima" Yegorov later posted the two apology videos below. I imagine their thinking was along the lines of "If we pose in the video in front of a Chuvashia flag, that'll convince them we aren't racist, right?":

Google translations of the tweet captions:

"The battalion commander "Zima" with a support group admits his mistake and strongly apologizes: I did not want to offend anyone, I myself am a little Chuvash at heart"

"Two types in pure Russian fit in with the battalion commander, plus the apologies of overslept Bukharikov"

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #24787 on: July 29, 2023, 04:13:52 PM »

https://ts2.space/en/elon-musk-denied-access-to-starlink-network-to-ukrainian-armed-forces/

"Elon Musk Denied Access to Starlink Network to Ukrainian Armed Forces"

The New York Times recently reported that American entrepreneur Elon Musk denied the Ukrainian armed forces access to the Starlink satellite communication network. The Ukrainian military had sought to attack Russian ships in the Black Sea using an explosive-laden drone.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24788 on: July 29, 2023, 04:32:59 PM »

Here is a recent video on these Ukrainian built and designed (explosive) sea drones.
They are fast and if they reach their target (a Russian warship in the Black Sea), they explode alongside the ship, possibly sinking it.

Love it.

Click here to watch ...
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/07/29/ukraine-sea-drone-russia-war-black-sea-marquardt-dnt-ac-360-vpx.cnn
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #24789 on: July 29, 2023, 06:34:07 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2023, 06:51:47 PM by Storr »

A 20-something Ukrainian creates and then posts a cartoon about collective responsibility for the war which includes Putin shooting a body double and blaming everything on him:

Seven days later: Putin at the second "Russia-Africa Summit" says the war "happened to be, and..." then can't think of anything to finish the sentence with. I suppose Putin's current claim is that the war happened because of the natural course of things, as if he wasn't the was the person who started it? I find cartoon Putin's claim more believable:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #24790 on: July 29, 2023, 07:06:19 PM »

"From his vantage point, sitting across from senior Kremlin officials and advisers, it was apparent that the greatest issue was that the Russians were unable to articulate what exactly they wanted and needed.

They don't know how to define victory or defeat. In fact, some of the elites to whom we spoke had never wanted the war in the first place, even saying it had been a complete mistake,” he said.

“But now they’re at war — suffering a humiliating defeat is not an option for these guys.”"

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24791 on: July 29, 2023, 09:48:33 PM »

"From his vantage point, sitting across from senior Kremlin officials and advisers, it was apparent that the greatest issue was that the Russians were unable to articulate what exactly they wanted and needed.

They don't know how to define victory or defeat. In fact, some of the elites to whom we spoke had never wanted the war in the first place, even saying it had been a complete mistake,” he said.

“But now they’re at war — suffering a humiliating defeat is not an option for these guys.”"

Oh my god he hung around Trump too much and the orange doofus’ victimization complex and reality denial rubbed off on him
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #24792 on: July 29, 2023, 10:22:35 PM »

“They don't know how to define victory or defeat. In fact, some of the elites to whom we spoke had never wanted the war in the first place, even saying it had been a complete mistake,” he said.

If you actually read the article one of the english phrases used doesn't actually exist but is an exact translation from a commonly used RuSSian phrase. take that as you will.

Russia-Africa summit.  Who attended and who led the African state delegation.

I know this might be beyond the capabilities of your "child brothels are good" mindset, but here's what 2019's attendance looked like. Notice any differences?

For some perspective:

Ukraine launched it's counteroffensive 2 months ago, ever since then they have taken 10 settlements. Russians have recently taken 4 in Luhansk. That means in total Ukrainians have only a net gain of....  

6 villages

So Ukraine took 10 and Russia took 4. Yet somehow that means Russia is winning. Do they not teach math at Vatnik troll school?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #24793 on: July 29, 2023, 10:57:21 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #24794 on: July 29, 2023, 11:09:38 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2023, 11:17:31 PM by Storr »

Russia is a strange place. A prominent politician saying something like the tweet below is normal on national television.

Imagine a politician from western Europe saying this about the nations which were once part of their country's long dead empire. They'd be considered a crackpot nutjob, laughed out of the room, and never heard from again. Not to mention they'd also immediately be called racist.

Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24795 on: July 30, 2023, 01:44:26 AM »

He complains "these are your Chuvash devils". The Chuvash are a Turkic minority from the Urals (that practice Eastern Orthodoxy, unlike some other ethnic Turkic minority groups in Russia which practice Islam). Unsurprisingly, these comments must have provoked a strong backlash at home because the commander "Zima" Yegorov later posted the two apology videos below. I imagine their thinking was along the lines of "If we pose in the video in front of a Chuvashia flag, that'll convince them we aren't racist, right?":

Google translations of the tweet captions:

"The battalion commander "Zima" with a support group admits his mistake and strongly apologizes: I did not want to offend anyone, I myself am a little Chuvash at heart"

"Two types in pure Russian fit in with the battalion commander, plus the apologies of overslept Bukharikov"

The Chuvash ethnos is by now completely assimilated by the Russians, they have no national pride and they consider the Russians their people. Chuvash is now more of a territorial affiliation than an ethnic one.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24796 on: July 30, 2023, 01:56:59 AM »

A 20-something Ukrainian creates and then posts a cartoon about collective responsibility for the war which includes Putin shooting a body double and blaming everything on him:

Seven days later: Putin at the second "Russia-Africa Summit" says the war "happened to be, and..." then can't think of anything to finish the sentence with. I suppose Putin's current claim is that the war happened because of the natural course of things, as if he wasn't the was the person who started it? I find cartoon Putin's claim more believable:

Did he blink three times?

Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24797 on: July 30, 2023, 02:13:42 AM »

Russia is a strange place. A prominent politician saying something like the tweet below is normal on national television.

Imagine a politician from western Europe saying this about the nations which were once part of their country's long dead empire. They'd be considered a crackpot nutjob, laughed out of the room, and never heard from again. Not to mention they'd also immediately be called racist.

These are the constant narratives of the ruscists.

You can also check out this map drawn by a famous Russian artist in 2010:
https://www.mk.ru/social/2019/02/19/ekspertiza-vnov-ne-nashla-ekstremizma-v-kartine-vasi-lozhkina-velikaya-prekrasnaya-rossiya.html

This is a satirical image of the perception of the world that is common among Russians. The Russians did not like this satire and the author was accused of extremism, although it was precisely what he was ridiculing the extremist views of Russian society.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24798 on: July 30, 2023, 02:44:57 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2023, 02:50:03 AM by smoltchanov »

I saw that map. It was satirical, of course, but it reflects a lot about feeling of "median Russian" (especially - in province). They were told 74 years of USSR (may be - minus 1985-1991, but even then - .....) that they are "the greatest power in the world" (and surely - "the most progressive"). And essentially the same since at least 2008. 23 years in between is simply not enough to change a deeply ingrained imperial mentality.... More time will be needed (and more efforts too)
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24799 on: July 30, 2023, 02:53:30 AM »

I saw that map. It was satirical, of course, but it reflects a lot about feeling of "median Russian" (especially - in province). They were told 74 years of USSR (may be - minus 1985-1991, but even then - .....) that they are "the greatest power in the world" (ad surely - "the most progressive"). And essentially the same since at least 2008. 23 years in between is simply not enough....
I would add on my own that among Kazakhstani Russians, the difference between Soviet times + 1990s and 2000s + 2010s years is expressed mainly in the fact that they stopped insulting Kazakhs with the N-word "kalbit" and began to insult them with the N-word "mambet".
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 989 990 991 [992] 993 994 995 996 997 ... 1176  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies