Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:38:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 934 935 936 937 938 [939] 940 941 942 943 944 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 930177 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23450 on: June 24, 2023, 12:49:43 AM »

Can someone explain what is happening here like I'm five? There are so many conflicting reports on Twitter that I don't know what to believe.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23451 on: June 24, 2023, 12:50:58 AM »

Can someone explain what is happening here like I'm five? There are so many conflicting reports on Twitter that I don't know what to believe.
Postmodernism living well in Russian politics
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23452 on: June 24, 2023, 12:55:57 AM »

Meanwhile, perhaps a time for a musical interlude or two....

1.) The current situation reminded me of a massive offensive to overthrow the British Occupiers and eject them from Ireland, where "the boys march at dawn", or perhaps somewhere in the "Foggy Mountain Dew", where you have a rebel formation striking at the heat of night.

2.) The apparent collapse of Russian domestic units sitting hands on arses, while the Wagner Company takes over the 11th largest city in Russia by population (1+ Million) appears to indicate that this rebellion is beyond a handful of war veterans, many of whom were convicts fighting for Wagner, but has perhaps become something much larger.

3.) We are not close to the level of Krondstadt rebellion, when it comes to verified reports of various Russian military units laying down their arms, in order to pick them up again to join the insurgency, but yet in Russian history when soldiers rebel, sometimes governments fall.

4.) Still, it does appear that "Putin's Chef", the scumbag whom he is with all the deeds that he has done, is effectively waging an armed revolutionary movement against certain Russian political and military leaders.

Strongly doubt the man ever listened to this song from hip-hop band Public Enemy, which used to be blasting from Boom-Boxes and stereo system even in "lily White arse Oregon" back in the dayz.

Sometimes even convicts, ex-convicts, ethnic minorities and all that, are just waiting for the chance to break free, and take the master out, by *any means necessary*

Logical

« Reply #23453 on: June 24, 2023, 12:56:31 AM »

Putin to speak soon according to the Kremlin. Will he remove Shoigu or will he order Prigozhin to stand down? The world awaits.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #23454 on: June 24, 2023, 12:58:12 AM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23455 on: June 24, 2023, 12:59:21 AM »

Still a waste of money
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #23456 on: June 24, 2023, 01:00:55 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2023, 01:06:17 AM by Doug Burgum Stan »

Putin to speak soon according to the Kremlin. Will he remove Shoigu or will he order Prigozhin to stand down? The world awaits.

If Putin actually caves to this, isn't it an incredible display of weakness? As a leader you cannot allow warlords to occupy your cities in order to demand concessions. What stops Girkin or Kadyrov from pulling the same stunt 2 weeks from now, with their own demands? Putin's whole image and position of authority would crumble.

I think the smart thing from his perspective would be to crack down harshly. I'm not sure I actually buy it when Prigozhin says the Russian troops support him. At the end of the day the size of Prigozhin's current force in Russia is like 1000 people tops, and the Russian forces massively outnumber him.

Then again, it's probably in the best interest of Ukraine that Putin f***s this up, and precipitates a longer conflict that takes attention and resources away from the war.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23457 on: June 24, 2023, 01:03:28 AM »

Putin’s position is already a joke and has been calling off a cliff since 2018. It’s over speech or no speech, either now or later.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23458 on: June 24, 2023, 01:03:46 AM »

Anyone know where we can watch the speech with translations?
Logical

« Reply #23459 on: June 24, 2023, 01:06:56 AM »

If Putin actually caves to this, isn't it an incredible display of weakness? As a leader you cannot allow warlords to occupy your cities in order to demand concessions. His whole image and position of authority would crumble.

I think the smart thing from his perspective would be to crack down harshly. I'm not sure I actually buy it when Prigozhin says the Russian troops support him. At the end of the day the size of Prigozhin's current force in Russia is like 1000 people tops, and the Russian forces massively outnumber him.

Then again, it's probably in the best interest of Ukraine that Putin f***s this up, and precipitates a longer conflict that takes attention and resources away from the war.

He's cooked either way. Every oligarch will be rushing to create their own personal militia to prepare for the inevitable collapse. I'm just praying they kill each other and leave Ukraine.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #23460 on: June 24, 2023, 01:10:02 AM »

Anyone know where we can watch the speech with translations?

Usually available on YouTube within a day for Putin content. If you want to listen to Putin live, you'll have to learn Russian like the rest of us Smiley
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23461 on: June 24, 2023, 01:12:34 AM »

Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #23462 on: June 24, 2023, 01:22:22 AM »

Former richest man in Russia, he was one of the oligarchs Putin went after in his first term in office. Exiled in London:

QED. The first deceived group of Russians who will run straight into the jaws of the secret department of the FSO.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #23463 on: June 24, 2023, 01:28:02 AM »

If Putin actually caves to this, isn't it an incredible display of weakness? As a leader you cannot allow warlords to occupy your cities in order to demand concessions. His whole image and position of authority would crumble.

He's cooked either way. Every oligarch will be rushing to create their own personal militia to prepare for the inevitable collapse. I'm just praying they kill each other and leave Ukraine.

People give these "oligarchs" may too much credit and political power. The Russian collapse would only mean a handful of peripheral nationalists in the Caucasus try to create seperate entities, the oligarchs won't want to undermine the Russian state nor have they really had the power to remove Putin for years now. It's Western mythology.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23464 on: June 24, 2023, 01:32:57 AM »

Meanwhile, regardless of the outcomes of the Russian "Prisoner Revolt", we must remember that there is likely a certain movie and books which will likely be banned in Russia (Assuming that is not already the case).

The Emperor's New Clothes:

Seven Nation Army not marching from the soldiers who fought in the meat grinders of Donbass:

HINT: Bad news if Putin goes after Russian Military vets, after at least we have some 120-160k Russian KIA/WIA/MIA.

Soldiers rebel sometimes after major losses, and certainly Russia has a history with that.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23465 on: June 24, 2023, 01:45:09 AM »

Oh my god, New Jersey just tested its emergency alert system and gave me a f-cking heart attack
walleye26

« Reply #23466 on: June 24, 2023, 01:53:26 AM »

My wife and I picked quite the time to travel to Europe for the first time. We are in Poland now. Nothing on the news here that is any different than what is being reported stateside.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23467 on: June 24, 2023, 02:03:16 AM »

He's speaking on CNN now with translation.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23468 on: June 24, 2023, 02:07:59 AM »

Nothing super surprising in the speech, Putin called it treason and said Russia will defend itself. Did not mention Prigozhin by name, oddly.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23469 on: June 24, 2023, 02:08:17 AM »

It is now being claimed that Prigozhin has taken Voronezh... which, if true, would be the second Russian oblast capital under Wagner control following Rostov.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23470 on: June 24, 2023, 02:08:33 AM »

A clear-cut denounciation of Prigozhin's actions as a mutiny from Putin (treason, an attack on the troops, a betrayal, and so on).
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #23471 on: June 24, 2023, 02:11:26 AM »

Nothing super surprising in the speech, Putin called it treason and said Russia will defend itself. Did not mention Prigozhin by name, oddly.

That's a strategy he always does, to keep name recognition of rivals low.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23472 on: June 24, 2023, 02:11:59 AM »

Thread with a summary translation (it was a short speech)

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #23473 on: June 24, 2023, 02:13:19 AM »

And soon the ballet will be played I imagine
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #23474 on: June 24, 2023, 02:13:39 AM »

Putin makes a relatively strong response, and calls these actions treason...

But now what? Prigozhin demanded concessions and didn't get them. Will they actually fight now? Prigozhin's men have Rostov, and apparently now the Bugaevka border crossing and Voronezh. The longer Putin waits to address this with force, the more entrenched Wagner will become. Better for Ukraine the longer this lasts, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 936 937 938 [939] 940 941 942 943 944 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies