Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 07:06:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 788 789 790 791 792 [793] 794 795 796 797 798 ... 1175
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 952635 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19800 on: March 04, 2023, 04:12:45 AM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19801 on: March 04, 2023, 05:10:01 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-04/putin-gets-military-tech-chips-semiconductors-despite-eu-and-g-7-sanctions

"Russia Is Getting Round Sanctions to Secure Supply of Key Chips for War"

Bloomberg reports that the Russia military is able to meet its chip needs mostly by going through Turkey and UAE to buy what they need.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19802 on: March 04, 2023, 06:08:10 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2023, 06:17:38 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Figuring that they are useless in the neutral country these days, Germany plans to buy 96 "Leopard 2" tanks back from Switzerland. The are intended for countries who are giving tanks to Ukraine.

Maybe a sign of our times: Due to recent record profits, arms manufacturer Rheinmetall enters the DAX, the German stock market index consisting of the 40 largest German companies in terms of market capitalization, replacing Fresenius Medical Care.

Along with Airbus, it's now one of two companies from the arms industry included in the DAX.

In other Rheinmetall news:

The Panther KF51 is the fourth-generation main battle tank successor to the Leopard 2. The CEO of Rheinmetall said that the plant could be sufficiently protected by air defence systems.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #19803 on: March 04, 2023, 07:58:06 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-04/putin-gets-military-tech-chips-semiconductors-despite-eu-and-g-7-sanctions

Bloomberg reports that the Russia military is able to meet its chip needs mostly by going through Turkey and UAE to buy what they need.

And Turkey is a NATO country, right? Do they need a consensus to do anything or can countries act independently?

Because for consensus decisions, I can see Turkey blocking a lot of stuff. Russia would feel safe to take back all the past-Soviet territories even if part of NATO. That includes the Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) alongside Ukraine and Moldova, which currently appear to be the main targets.

If the West kinda ignores a large country like Ukraine calls for more involvement, even if they are not part of NATO, it’s kinda hard to see them wanting to start WWIII because of Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania, even if those are in NATO.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19804 on: March 04, 2023, 08:03:31 AM »

And Turkey is a NATO country, right? Do they need a consensus to do anything or can countries act independently?

Because for consensus decisions, I can see Turkey blocking a lot of stuff. Russia would feel safe to take back all the past-Soviet territories even if part of NATO. That includes the Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) alongside Ukraine and Moldova, which currently appear to be the main targets.

If the West kinda ignores a large country like Ukraine calls for more involvement, even if they are not part of NATO, it’s kinda hard to see them wanting to start WWIII because of Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania, even if those are in NATO.

Turkey is slightly pro-Ukraine in the sense that they have no problem if Russia keeps all the areas it took over but Turkey does not want Russia to take over Odesa which would be bad strategically for Turkey in the Black Sea.

Of course, Turkey is in difficult economic trouble so anything that helps them get some extra cash would be welcome even if it is to help Russia buy some chips.

I showed this chart before but on the whole Turkey's population is fairly positive toward Russia

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19805 on: March 04, 2023, 10:17:02 AM »

Sounds like the withdrawal of Bakmut is happening today
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19806 on: March 04, 2023, 10:52:06 AM »

Figuring that they are useless in the neutral country these days, Germany plans to buy 96 "Leopard 2" tanks back from Switzerland. The are intended for countries who are giving tanks to Ukraine.

Maybe a sign of our times: Due to recent record profits, arms manufacturer Rheinmetall enters the DAX, the German stock market index consisting of the 40 largest German companies in terms of market capitalization, replacing Fresenius Medical Care.

Along with Airbus, it's now one of two companies from the arms industry included in the DAX.

In other Rheinmetall news:

The Panther KF51 is the fourth-generation main battle tank successor to the Leopard 2. The CEO of Rheinmetall said that the plant could be sufficiently protected by air defence systems.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19807 on: March 04, 2023, 11:06:42 AM »

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #19808 on: March 04, 2023, 11:08:08 AM »

Turkey is slightly pro-Ukraine in the sense that they have no problem if Russia keeps all the areas it took over but Turkey does not want Russia to take over Odesa which would be bad strategically for Turkey in the Black Sea.

Of course, Turkey is in difficult economic trouble so anything that helps them get some extra cash would be welcome even if it is to help Russia buy some chips.

I showed this chart before but on the whole Turkey's population is fairly positive toward Russia

lol. After claiming for months that most Americans are turning against Ukraine, you post something that shows only 5% of Americans see Russia as an ally.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19809 on: March 04, 2023, 11:12:03 AM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19810 on: March 04, 2023, 11:16:38 AM »

lol. After claiming for months that most Americans are turning against Ukraine, you post something that shows only 5% of Americans see Russia as an ally.

There is a difference between viewing a party in a negative light versus what level of funding should go to fight said party.  One can view Russia in a negative light but still feel that the level of funding to Ukraine has exceeded what is logical or preferred.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19811 on: March 04, 2023, 11:20:17 AM »

There is a difference between viewing a party in a negative light versus what level of funding should go to fight said party.  One can view Russia in a negative light but still feel that the level of funding to Ukraine has exceeded what is logical or preferred.

OK I will bite. What is your Goldilocks level of aid to Ukraine if at a level different from what is currently in place?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19812 on: March 04, 2023, 11:21:16 AM »

I understand the ratings for Boyko but I wonder why Poroshenko and Tymoshenko's ratings are so low, especially Poroshenko.  I would argue that Poroshenko did an excellent job of building up the Ukraine army during his tenure to get to a situation where they are outperforming relative to expectations in this war.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19813 on: March 04, 2023, 11:30:17 AM »

OK I will bite. What is your Goldilocks level of aid to Ukraine if at a level different from what is currently in place?

My personal opinion would be: I want the level of USA economic and military aid to Ukraine to be $0.
 I view this as an Eastern Slavic civil war.  I wish both sides the best of luck and will let them go at it and may the best side win.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19814 on: March 04, 2023, 11:32:34 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/india-pm-modi-calls-common-ground-global-issues-g20-meeting-2023-03-02/

"Blinken, Lavrov meet for first time since Ukraine invasion"

My reading of what is being said in the Indian media is that it was Modi that forced both sides to meet as a favor to him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19815 on: March 04, 2023, 11:35:13 AM »

My personal opinion would be: I want the level of USA economic and military aid to Ukraine to be $0.
 I view this as an Eastern Slavic civil war.  I wish both sides the best of luck and will let them go at it and may the best side win.

Thank you for your most candid response. That translates into Ukraine becoming a Russian province, with the number of Ukrainians continuing to live there as opposed to fleeing or being killed uncertain.

What is your perfect policy as to taking Ukrainian refugees in?

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19816 on: March 04, 2023, 11:38:33 AM »

Thank you for your most candid response. That translates into Ukraine becoming a Russian province, with the number of Ukrainians continuing to live there as opposed to fleeing or being killed uncertain.

What is your perfect policy as to taking Ukrainian refugees in?

My personal policy preference is that the number of refugees the USA should take in should be 0, from Ukraine or any other part of the world.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19817 on: March 04, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »

Why does anyone feel the need to ask jaichind how he feels about any policy that implies a sense of interdependence, altruism, or compassion? He's agin' those things and has made that abundantly clear for many years.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19818 on: March 04, 2023, 12:53:35 PM »

It seems the UK and US are going to quietly increase the Challengers and Abrams to Ukraine make up for the Leopard setbacks
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #19819 on: March 04, 2023, 01:02:33 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2023, 01:10:43 PM by Lord Halifax »

Why does anyone feel the need to ask jaichind how he feels about any policy that implies a sense of interdependence, altruism, or compassion? He's agin' those things and has made that abundantly clear for many years.

I suppose they can't believe he is a complete and unashamed sociopath, but whether or not it's an online persona or his actual opinions he's sticking to them (and his insane Chinese national chauvinism which arguably makes him a traitor if he's a US citizen) and it clutters the thread that people keep asking him questions.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19820 on: March 04, 2023, 01:31:42 PM »

I suppose they can't believe he is a complete and unashamed sociopath, but whether or not it's an online persona or his actual opinions he's sticking to them (and his insane Chinese national chauvinism which arguably makes him a traitor if he's a US citizen) and it clutters the thread that people keep asking him questions.

I've known, and in a couple of cases even been friends of a sort with, actual DSM-definition sociopaths who were at least capable of recognizing that there were situations, lots of them actually, in which their narrowly conceived self-interest and the interests of other people or of society as a whole converged or at least didn't need to conflict. Whatever's wrong with jaichind is even worse than that. You're right that it's high time the forum just learned to live with it rather than constantly trying to squeeze the milk of human kindness out of him to no avail, though--especially in a thread about a country that's facing real problems.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19821 on: March 04, 2023, 01:40:05 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2023, 08:01:44 PM by lfromnj »

I've known, and in a couple of cases even been friends of a sort with, actual DSM-definition sociopaths who were at least capable of recognizing that there were situations, lots of them actually, in which their narrowly conceived self-interest and the interests of other people or of society as a whole converged or at least didn't need to conflict. Whatever's wrong with jaichind is even worse than that. You're right that it's high time the forum just learned to live with it rather than constantly trying to squeeze the milk of human kindness out of him to no avail, though--especially in a thread about a country that's facing real problems.

20 years ago jaichind actually said he opposed the BJP because of the riots being immoral.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19822 on: March 04, 2023, 01:52:23 PM »

In a way, I actually respect Jaichind's honesty. He makes no pretense that his positions are the product of any moral or even epistemic principles other than whatever maximizes his bottom line. There are other posters whose positions are substantively identical to Jaichind's, but who are just better at disguising the shameless, crass self-interest that motivates them under a veneer of profound, high-minded geopolitical reflection (a certain brown UK avatar comes to mind in particular).
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19823 on: March 04, 2023, 01:53:58 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/ukraine-running-low-ammo-europe-faces-pressure-produce-rcna73231

"Ukraine is running low on ammo. Europe faces pressure to produce more."

An ambitious proposal made by Estonia and reviewed by NBC News would have Europe increase 155 millimeter artillery shell production by seven times, moving manufacturing capacity from 240,000 to 300,000 shells per year to up to 2.1 million shells annually.

The problem is Ukraine is asking for 250K rounds a month.

https://www.ft.com/content/75ee9701-aa93-4c5d-a1bc-7a51422280fd

"Ukraine asks EU for 250,000 artillery shells a month"
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19824 on: March 04, 2023, 01:56:29 PM »

20 years ago jaichild actually said he opposed the BJP because of the riots being immoral.

He must have decided Indian Muslims are on his sh**t list since then. It is what it is.
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 790 791 792 [793] 794 795 796 797 798 ... 1175  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies