Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:58:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 682 683 684 685 686 [687] 688 689 690 691 692 ... 1164
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 886622 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17150 on: November 10, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »

Kherson City is basically a ghost city now. Everything of resource has been stripped, and it's citizens sent to mainland Russia or occupied territory. I would compare it to Moscow/Borodino 1812.

Not all

The GenStaff earlier reported some forced deportations, IIRC (OAPs and children, at least). It will be unclear for some time how many people are left.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17151 on: November 10, 2022, 02:32:02 PM »

One of the stories about the Hawks said it was the latest version - but before Spain recently modernized some systems to work with modern radars. However if Spain eventually gives all their HAWKs to Ukraine, that means Ukraine will eventually get those too. I don't know that I agree with the launchers vs systems, though. I've seen enough comments from Ukrainian and other officials to think that's not the correct way to read it, but I don't know, I'm not going to speculate anymore about it until/unless it is clarified.

Good times keep on rolling the past few days. New aid package - includes Avenger SHORAD system, which TBF is just a Humvee-mounted Stinger battery:

Link:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3216287/400-million-in-additional-assistance-for-ukraine/
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17152 on: November 10, 2022, 04:50:02 PM »

Telegram Russian sources are reporting Ukraine has entered Kherson and that there are troops in Kherson that weren’t ready to evacuate yet and are now trapped
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17153 on: November 10, 2022, 04:53:49 PM »

Telegram Russian sources are reporting Ukraine has entered Kherson and that there are troops in Kherson that weren’t ready to evacuate yet and are now trapped

If true, the rotation that seemed to occur a few weeks ago may well have been conducted according to a brutal calculus: evacuate most or all of the professionals and leave the mobiks as speedbumps in the event that a collapse occurs.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17154 on: November 10, 2022, 05:41:03 PM »

Returning some equipment the rashists abandoned.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17155 on: November 10, 2022, 05:58:23 PM »

Can a Russian who gets a general draft notice(not mobilization) claim Asylum in the US if they are studying here ?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #17156 on: November 10, 2022, 06:03:32 PM »

Kherson City is basically a ghost city now. Everything of resource has been stripped, and it's citizens sent to mainland Russia or occupied territory. I would compare it to Moscow/Borodino 1812.

With Russia's last significant logistical strain gone/Dnieper river as cover, it's offensive capabilities are strengthened.

Meanwhile back in Donetsk, in Pavlivka/Ugledar region:

Throughout world history the only war Russia has ever won on it's own without allies was the 1877 Russo-Turkish War.

When there's war the safest bet is against the russians, they are losers.
Omega21

« Reply #17157 on: November 10, 2022, 06:18:25 PM »

Levels of cope on a couple of Russian channels are now reaching the stratosphere

"This surely means Russia is planning on blowing the dam & then nuking the region!!!"

I am not joking lol

Anyway, this is one of the first good calls I've seen from the Russians.

It is clear that they do not have enough manpower (or also equipment) to push further to Nikolaev/Odesa. Thus, that side of Kherson would remain a tough hold & be under threat.

This, of course, became even worse after the BDSM HIMARS session on the main Bridge which crippled their logistics even more than the ingrained corruption.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #17158 on: November 10, 2022, 06:30:18 PM »

You have to watch this. It's an old Soviet joke come to life.

I think we have to start thinking about Winning the Peace.
The War is already won, now comes the hard part of what to do with the vanquished.

Watching that video, I think the russian people would like being ruled by pro-western Kyiv as long as they are one single democratic country.

There is no major language barrier, same religion, same history, they will accept Ukrainian rule provided they have civil rights, same as the unification of Italy or Germany but under a Western government.

Ukraine annexing Russia would instantly solve a lot of stability problems, it will get the UN seat leaving just China with a veto, puts NATO on the Chinese border, and wins the peace.

Afterall it's only fitting that Ukraine annexes the whole of Russia, since Putin wanted to annex Ukraine.

CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #17159 on: November 10, 2022, 07:08:29 PM »

I won't be surprised if the russian retreat from Kherson ends in a disaster. The bridges are destroyed and using ships to evacuate 20-30 thousand soldiers while under long range artillary fire is a huge challenge.
Wouldn't be surprised if the last few thousand russian soldiers get overrun and taken captive.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17160 on: November 10, 2022, 07:30:39 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #17161 on: November 10, 2022, 08:16:49 PM »

US buying 100,000 artillery shells from South Korea for Ukraine

https://www.wsj.com/articles/south-korea-to-sell-arms-to-u-s-for-ukraine-11668116294

South Korea will for the first time sell artillery shells destined for Ukrainian forces through a confidential arms deal between Seoul and Washington, a move that reflects a global scramble for munitions after months of war with Russia.

U.S. officials familiar with the deal said that the U.S. will purchase 100,000 rounds of 155mm artillery ammunition that will be delivered to Ukraine, enough to supply Ukraine’s artillery units for at least several weeks of intensive combat.

Routing the deal through the U.S. allows South Korea to stick to the letter of its public commitment not to send lethal military support to Ukraine while assisting Washington, Seoul’s paramount ally in deterring North Korea.

In August, the stockpile of U.S. 155mm artillery rounds had fallen to levels that concerned the Pentagon as Ukraine engaged in fierce artillery duels with the Russian forces, and U.S. officials say the situation is considerably worse now.

I don't know if this is part of that mysterious >= 3 billion dollar deal involving Czechia, but either way, it's an interesting development.

It's also another sign that Ukraine really needs to make progress in some sort of domestic production of ammunition, whether directly in Ukraine or in a neighboring country. The US seems to be nearing its limit of artillery shells, and the current industrial capacity for new shells is not nearly enough to sustain Ukrainian guns - at least right now. Hopefully the US will be able to patch together an international network of reliable suppliers, such as South Korea and its own factories.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #17162 on: November 10, 2022, 09:14:35 PM »

With Russia's last significant logistical strain gone/Dnieper river as cover, it's offensive capabilities are strengthened.

Meanwhile back in Donetsk, in Pavlivka/Ugledar region:

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17163 on: November 10, 2022, 09:20:58 PM »

If true, the rotation that seemed to occur a few weeks ago may well have been conducted according to a brutal calculus: evacuate most or all of the professionals and leave the mobiks as speedbumps in the event that a collapse occurs.

Maybe the Russian mobiks were the violent criminals recruited from prison for that reason: they become Ukraine's problem.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #17164 on: November 10, 2022, 09:21:35 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2022, 09:32:17 PM by Storr »

Logical

« Reply #17165 on: November 11, 2022, 06:50:47 AM »

Kherson City and the Right Bank has been liberated. Z is dead.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17166 on: November 11, 2022, 07:24:28 AM »

Kherson City and the Right Bank has been liberated. Z is dead.

😭 👏
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17167 on: November 11, 2022, 07:33:55 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17168 on: November 11, 2022, 08:29:28 AM »

Its not been the best of weeks for you overall, has it? Never mind Smiley
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #17169 on: November 11, 2022, 08:35:56 AM »

Its not been the best of weeks for you overall, has it? Never mind Smiley

Maybe he can finally take that year off of Atlas.

I think we will all wish Woodbury a nice and quiet time doing something else and think about the choices he has made in life.
Logical

« Reply #17170 on: November 11, 2022, 10:10:49 AM »

Russian annexation of Kherson: 30 September
Liberation of Kherson: 11 November
Number of days Kherson was illegally part of Russia: 42 days
Liz Truss premiership: 50 days

Russian Kherson failed to outlast one Truss.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17171 on: November 11, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »

Doesn't look like a depopulated husk to me...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #17172 on: November 11, 2022, 10:30:51 AM »

Beryslav as well:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17173 on: November 11, 2022, 10:33:43 AM »

I would compare it to Moscow/Borodino 1812.

Would you? Then you're even stupider than I thought.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #17174 on: November 11, 2022, 10:36:37 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 682 683 684 685 686 [687] 688 689 690 691 692 ... 1164  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies