Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:47:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 609 610 611 612 613 [614] 615 616 617 618 619 ... 1161
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 877525 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15325 on: September 29, 2022, 09:23:29 PM »

Do we have any idea how many Russian troops are in Lyman? Like, if it’s a company or two then it’s not really a big deal, but if we are talking a few battalions or several divisions then that’s something to celebrate. But do we have like a solid number? 100? 1,000? 10,000?

They are very vague with the numbers, but we are talking about multiple battalions with thousands of men.  So it isn't insignificant, although compared with the ~20,000 Russian soldiers in the Kherson area west of the Dnieper it doesn't seem quite as large. 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15326 on: September 29, 2022, 09:40:07 PM »

Do we have any idea how many Russian troops are in Lyman? Like, if it’s a company or two then it’s not really a big deal, but if we are talking a few battalions or several divisions then that’s something to celebrate. But do we have like a solid number? 100? 1,000? 10,000?

Realistically 1000 to 3000
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15327 on: September 29, 2022, 09:44:27 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15328 on: September 30, 2022, 12:14:30 AM »

Anschluss... interesting choice of words by this German media outlet.

Doesn't that literally mean "annexation"? What other word would Germans use in this context?

Also frankly Russia deserves to be compared to Nazi Germany. I'm sick of pretending otherwise.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #15329 on: September 30, 2022, 12:18:46 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2022, 03:34:53 PM by Lord Halifax »

Doesn't that literally mean "annexation"? What other word would Germans use in this context?

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/annektieren
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15330 on: September 30, 2022, 12:23:34 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2022, 12:28:48 AM by NUPES Enjoyer »

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/annektieren

Ah, interesting. So I guess the noun form would be "Annektrierung" or something like that.

I still don't understand the outrage, though.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #15331 on: September 30, 2022, 01:38:10 AM »

It's hard for me to be excited about this. Every acre Ukraine takes back makes it more likely Vlad will go nuclear.

Ukrainian tanks could be rolling into Moscow and you would argue this lol.
Good Habit
Rookie
Switzerland

« Reply #15332 on: September 30, 2022, 02:02:22 AM »

Ah, interesting. So I guess the noun form would be "Annektrierung" or something like that.

Annexion or Annektierung -- but Anschluss usually is used in the sense of "Connection" (to infrastructure - like water supply, electricity, roads, railroads, pipelines or connection between trains) - so to say that some area is "angeschlossen" means it is now connected / part of the same network - and this could, of course - also refer to a country - a former "country" becoming part of a larger country... (So - formalistically, "Anschluss" would pretend (as Putin is claiming) a "voluntary" connection, therefore the "referendums" - and this, of couse, is identitcal with the  famous "Anschluss" of Austria...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15333 on: September 30, 2022, 02:14:35 AM »

Annexion or Annektierung -- but Anschluss usually is used in the sense of "Connection" (to infrastructure - like water supply, electricity, roads, railroads, pipelines or connection between trains) - so to say that some area is "angeschlossen" means it is now connected / part of the same network - and this could, of course - also refer to a country - a former "country" becoming part of a larger country... (So - formalistically, "Anschluss" would pretend (as Putin is claiming) a "voluntary" connection, therefore the "referendums" - and this, of couse, is identitcal with the  famous "Anschluss" of Austria...

So "Anschluss" actually still has a more positive connotation than Annexion or Annektierung even today? I see, interesting.

Then yeah, the outrage against that news outlet is fully warranted.
Good Habit
Rookie
Switzerland

« Reply #15334 on: September 30, 2022, 06:12:01 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2022, 06:31:57 AM by Good Habit »

So "Anschluss" actually still has a more positive connotation than Annexion or Annektierung even today? I see, interesting.

Well, while Annektion basically only has the political meaning as for a land-grab between states (or the annexation of tribal lands in the colonial area...) "Anschluss" is a everyday word for many kinds of (usually voluntary) connections - so the use in the case of Austria in 1938 is an unusal exception - but if someone in a German speaking outlet would use it for S-E Ukraine today, this would most likely be in the same sense (comparing Putin with Hitler) - because normally Anschluss is not used in a politcal context...
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #15335 on: September 30, 2022, 06:38:17 AM »

Putin soon to announce the annexations of these four oblasts as integral territories of the Russian Federation. All the four Russian-backed leaders have arrived to Moscow in time for Putin's speech, which is soon to be delivered in a few minutes.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #15336 on: September 30, 2022, 06:44:00 AM »

Putin soon to announce the annexations of these four oblasts as integral territories of the Russian Federation. All the four Russian-backed leaders have arrived to Moscow in time for Putin's speech, which is soon to be delivered in a few minutes.

It seems for Kherson and Zaporozhye  it is Independence first, unification later where Russia will first accept both as independent states and then move to annex them into Russia.  I guess this is to avoid the legal issue of taking over Ukraine territories directly.  All nice and legal, from the Russian point of view.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #15337 on: September 30, 2022, 06:59:13 AM »

It seems for Kherson and Zaporozhye  it is Independence first, unification later where Russia will first accept both as independent states and then move to annex them into Russia.  I guess this is to avoid the legal issue of taking over Ukraine territories directly.  All nice and legal, from the Russian point of view.
Already happening, as Putin a few hours ago recognized their independence with his decrees (Kherson & Zaporozhye). All these four oblasts will be incorporated at the same time.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15338 on: September 30, 2022, 07:22:28 AM »

Hitler's desire to expand German territory - which he briefly did - ultimately lead to the permsnent loss of Silesia, Pomerania, and East Prussia. Those who forget history are damned to repeat it.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15339 on: September 30, 2022, 07:23:34 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-28/why-germany-and-the-us-are-stalling-on-modern-tanks-for-ukraine#xj4y7vzkg

"Why Germany and the US Are Stalling on Modern Tanks for Ukraine"

Beyond what the article talks about which is about concerns over dwindling stockpiles and logistics there is also the issue of tank doctrine.  I mentioned this before.  Germany took over a large cache of French tanks in 1940 but it ended up being useless for the rest of the war because French tank doctrine was different from German tank doctrine. 

I think if a large of these NATO tanks (which are just bigger than the USSR-based tank models and might not do as well in the muddier terrine in Ukraine) do show up there might be a need for some NATO "volunteers" to operate them.  In fact, that might be another form of NATO escalation a-la Flying Tigers in the Sino-Japanese war before 1941.  Perhaps NATO can form a "Running Panthers" group to go into Ukraine to operate NATO tanks as their escalation to the recent Russian escalations.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15340 on: September 30, 2022, 07:39:11 AM »

Hitler's desire to expand German territory - which he briefly did - ultimately lead to the permsnent loss of Silesia, Pomerania, and East Prussia. Those who forget history are damned to repeat it.

This is clearly survivers bias but the desire for more territories worked out pretty well for a bunch of other countries.  USA, Russia, and China come to mind (just look at the map.)  So while such desires can lead to bad results they can also lead to derived results.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15341 on: September 30, 2022, 07:47:00 AM »

This is clearly survivers bias but the desire for more territories worked out pretty well for a bunch of other countries.  USA, Russia, and China come to mind (just look at the map.)  So while such desires can lead to bad results they can also lead to derived results.

False dichotomy.

These were gradual, slow, long-term "expansions" and not the result of the decision of s single, aggressive  president or leader who is considered an international pariah.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15342 on: September 30, 2022, 07:48:02 AM »

Putin says he won’t negotiate with Kiev on the annexed territories, but that Ukraine should stop fighting and start talks. 

I guess the new Russian position is: Ukraine has to accept the loss of the 4 Oblasts (and Crimea of course) and once that takes place Russia will be willing to stop fighting.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15343 on: September 30, 2022, 07:50:36 AM »

False dichotomy.

These were gradual, slow, long-term "expansions" and not the result of the decision of s single, aggressive  president or leader who is considered an international pariah.

1848 was pretty quick given the size of territories involved
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15344 on: September 30, 2022, 08:00:16 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2022, 08:07:38 AM by Torie »

Also frankly Russia deserves to be compared to Nazi Germany. I'm sick of pretending otherwise.

In my perhaps unenlightened mind it connotes a union of one tribe, one people, that is celebratory, with the former division a sad artifact of history, e.g. the unification of east and west Germany. All roads lead to Germany on this one for some reason. Another I guess would be the twin Koreas, or perhaps Samoa and independent Samoa. In the context of Ukraine, It is a term more for Puin's propaganda machine than something emanating from an ally.

On the negotiation business, that will happen when somebody wants to make an offer. Who I wonder will be the first to make an offer that entails such concession of real estate? I don't think on this one, Ukraine wants to have talks just for show that have not much prospect of going anywhere. I wonder if Putin would be prepared to withdraw from everything other than the land bridge to Crimea in exchange for Ukraine in effect becoming a member of NATO, with all that portends. I tend to doubt it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15345 on: September 30, 2022, 08:01:12 AM »

Putin "annexing" these oblasts just as Ukraine are making significant advances into them?

If he had done this a few months ago, there might be at least a superficial rationale for it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15346 on: September 30, 2022, 08:01:45 AM »

False dichotomy.

False dichotomy no. 2.

I don't recall James K. Polk being considered an international pariah or being subject to international sanctions over it. And the reason why this was the case is because international relations were conducted under a different set of rules than they are post-WWII.

Do you understand the difference?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15347 on: September 30, 2022, 08:02:26 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-28/why-germany-and-the-us-are-stalling-on-modern-tanks-for-ukraine#xj4y7vzkg

"Why Germany and the US Are Stalling on Modern Tanks for Ukraine"

Beyond what the article talks about which is about concerns over dwindling stockpiles and logistics there is also the issue of tank doctrine.  I mentioned this before.  Germany took over a large cache of French tanks in 1940 but it ended up being useless for the rest of the war because French tank doctrine was different from German tank doctrine. 

I think if a large of these NATO tanks (which are just bigger than the USSR-based tank models and might not do as well in the muddier terrine in Ukraine) do show up there might be a need for some NATO "volunteers" to operate them.  In fact, that might be another form of NATO escalation a-la Flying Tigers in the Sino-Japanese war before 1941.  Perhaps NATO can form a "Running Panthers" group to go into Ukraine to operate NATO tanks as their escalation to the recent Russian escalations.

You mean NATO should send in “advisors”?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15348 on: September 30, 2022, 08:03:02 AM »

False dichotomy.

False dichotomy no. 2.

I don't recall James K. Polk being considered an international pariah or being subject to international sanctions over it. And the reason why this was the case is because international relations were conducted under a different set of rules than they are post-WWII.

Sounds like a fun timeline.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15349 on: September 30, 2022, 08:06:06 AM »

False dichotomy no. 2.

I am not aware of any official "international pariah" title or how that would be assigned.  The latest UN vote on this seems to indicate that less than 1/3 of UN members voted against Russia.  Does not sound like an international pariah to me.

https://usun.usmission.gov/joint-statement-on-six-months-of-russias-full-scale-invasion-of-ukraine/

UN statement on the 6th month of the start of the Russia-Ukraine war.  58 UN members (which is less than 1/3 of UN members) signed up.  Pretty much the core collective West states and allies but nothing else.  The only "swing" votes this statement got is Türkiye and Singapore.
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 611 612 613 [614] 615 616 617 618 619 ... 1161  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies