Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:57:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 346 347 348 349 350 [351] 352 353 354 355 356 ... 1168
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 907449 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8750 on: March 31, 2022, 01:17:14 PM »

Since the Russian government lies just about everything, it means that they will definitely be sent to Ukraine.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #8751 on: March 31, 2022, 01:28:00 PM »

I notice some Ukrainian progress towards Mariupol. Is there any chance at all that they will attempt to lift the siege, or is it foolish to even hope for that?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8752 on: March 31, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »

Since the Russian government lies just about everything, it means that they will definitely be sent to Ukraine.
The medal shown awarded in the clip is the Order of Courage.

"...as well as bold and decisive actions committed in the performance of military or civil duty under conditions involving a risk to life."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Courage
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #8753 on: March 31, 2022, 02:03:53 PM »

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8754 on: March 31, 2022, 02:36:32 PM »

I notice some Ukrainian progress towards Mariupol. Is there any chance at all that they will attempt to lift the siege, or is it foolish to even hope for that?

Earlier today, at least two Ukrainian helicopters made a flight into Mariupol and at least one was shot down on the way out with wounded people from the city. Russia claims three entered, were all shot down, and that the passengers were Azov Battalion leadership.

Given the risks involved in flying a chopper into Russia territory and a besieged urban pocket, I think it’s likely they were trying to evacuate some important people (although perhaps not Azov) and thought they couldn’t afford to wait for a Ukrainian counteroffensive to get any closer to Mariupol. That suggests they think the city’s defence is doomed.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8755 on: March 31, 2022, 02:41:40 PM »

Mariupol is going to fall, that much has been certain for a couple of weeks now. Ukraine isn't in a position to relieve them now and their forces would be better used in other areas. Assuming the next few weeks of the war go well for them and they repel additional Russian assaults on the Donbass, then you might see a Ukrainian attempt to recapture the area.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #8756 on: March 31, 2022, 03:07:09 PM »

First it was separatists using WWII era Mosin-Nagants and SSh helmets. If this doesn't convey that the Russians fail to support their allies with anything close to the most basic supplies, because Russia only considers the separatists as political tools; I'm not sure what would be able to show that.

I'd understand if there was legitimate popular support for independence in the Donbass. But it's always been a Russian funded and supported "separatist movement". In the beginning Russian citizens were even installed as the leaders of the new "People's Republics". It's always been BS.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8757 on: March 31, 2022, 03:11:18 PM »

This guy is a real hero.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8758 on: March 31, 2022, 03:16:34 PM »

Sure, they "won't be sent". Who actually believes this?

They're absolutely sending these kids into battle and many of them won't return for basically no reason other than Putin's ego and superpower fantasies. And make no mistake, such barely trained troops with low moral will suffer a lot casulties. I guess they're not even told in advance what the entire "special operation" is actually about. I, like many, certainly feel more bad for these kids than Putin.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8759 on: March 31, 2022, 03:38:08 PM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #8760 on: March 31, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »

RUB is now up to 81 which is exactly where it was trading right before the invasion started.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8761 on: March 31, 2022, 04:27:46 PM »

The Ukrainians have retaken a number of towns West and Northwest of Kyiv today. The Russians are pulling back from their salient, and they are being attacked on their way out. A lot of damaged and captured equipment today.

One gain of some importance is the Hostomel airport, which the Russians abandoned.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #8762 on: March 31, 2022, 04:37:34 PM »

I'm not surprised the Armenian Su-30 transfer rumors turned out to be false.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #8763 on: March 31, 2022, 04:43:42 PM »

The Ukrainians have retaken a number of towns West and Northwest of Kyiv today. The Russians are pulling back from their salient, and they are being attacked on their way out. A lot of damaged and captured equipment today.

One gain of some importance is the Hostomel airport, which the Russians abandoned.
As one would expect, the airport looks to be completely destroyed.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #8764 on: March 31, 2022, 04:47:17 PM »

The entire Russia-Germany debate over gas for RUB feels a lot like a battle of technicalities.

Old workflow: Germany pays EUR to Gazprombank who then hands it over to the Russian central bank who then deposited it into the Europe Central bank as the Russian central bank currency reserve

Putin's proposed workflow which Germany rejected: Germany converts EUR to RUB and pays Gazprombank.

Putin's new proposed workflow which Germany is considering: Germany pays Gazprombank in EUR who then converts it to RUB right away

Either way Putin wants to create demand for RUB and seems will get it ergo the rise in RUB last few days.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8765 on: March 31, 2022, 04:49:30 PM »

RUB is now up to 81 which is exactly where it was trading right before the invasion started.

If this is a major turning point for Russia, it just comes to show how much power the super wealthy have in undermining our popular sovereignty. That’s a serious problem.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #8766 on: March 31, 2022, 05:03:17 PM »

The Ukrainian Air Force needs to stop using cocaine:

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #8767 on: March 31, 2022, 05:17:44 PM »

Earlier today, at least two Ukrainian helicopters made a flight into Mariupol and at least one was shot down on the way out with wounded people from the city. Russia claims three entered, were all shot down, and that the passengers were Azov Battalion leadership.

Given the risks involved in flying a chopper into Russia territory and a besieged urban pocket, I think it’s likely they were trying to evacuate some important people (although perhaps not Azov) and thought they couldn’t afford to wait for a Ukrainian counteroffensive to get any closer to Mariupol. That suggests they think the city’s defence is doomed.

That’s disappointing. I guess the upshot is that the amount of time it’s taken the Russian Army to take the city, plus their recently aborted attempt to overrun Kiev, prove that they’re going to get bogged down at every major urban area they try to take.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8768 on: March 31, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »

Oh god Zelensky please don’t. If he gives up 1 yard of Ukraine soil he’ll just be inviting Putin to try this again in the future and would effectively kill the UN charter which forbids the seizure of land via force

I believe in might makes right and right of conquest so I really do not care about this UN charter. 

You have a well documented history of being an ethical and moral eunuch, but even by that standard this is reprehensible.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #8769 on: March 31, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »

I appreciate that these "intelligence updates" have increasingly become simply roasting the Russians, as time has gone on.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8770 on: March 31, 2022, 05:39:22 PM »

The nationalism of man wrapped in a patina of faux Christianity. Patriarch Kirill is a disgrace to his church.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8771 on: March 31, 2022, 06:50:36 PM »

It looks like the Russians really are withdrawing from the north as they announced a couple days ago (and have been telegraphing for longer than that). They are pulling out of Hostomel and even Chernobyl. Their attacks in the Kiev area now look like covering attacks for a withdrawal. We have been told by the Biden team in the past couple days that this was a fake or a feint, and that attacks are "increasing". I've also heard that from a prominent war-focused YouTuber. It looks like it was not a feint. I will give Biden credit for being right about the initial invasion, but between overestimating the Russians and this, our intelligence certainly does not have a spotless record in the past six weeks.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #8772 on: March 31, 2022, 07:07:19 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2022, 11:44:45 PM by Storr »

Nova Basan is a little more than 40 miles east of Kyiv on highway H07, which goes to Sumy.

Yes, this is obviously propaganda. But the reaction of the lady handing out food (it looks like it might be candy) to the troops seems genuine.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8773 on: March 31, 2022, 07:08:15 PM »

LOL Russia has gotten quite petty: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2022/03/31/russia-demands-wikipedia-take-down-information-about-ukraine-war/?sh=48a0567866f2
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8774 on: March 31, 2022, 07:48:07 PM »

This is separate from the Wagner Group mercs currently fighting in Donbas which has been previously reported.

Hundreds of Syrian fighters are en route to join Russian forces in Ukraine, effectively returning the favor to Moscow for helping President Bashar al-Assad crush rebels in an 11-year civil war, according to two people monitoring the flow of mercenaries.

A first contingent of soldiers has already arrived in Russia for military training before heading to Ukraine, according to a Western diplomat and a Damascus-based ally of the Syrian government. It includes at least 300 soldiers from a Syrian army division that has worked closely with Russian officers who went to Syria to support Mr. al-Assad during the war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/world/middleeast/syrian-mercenaries-ukraine-russia.html
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 348 349 350 [351] 352 353 354 355 356 ... 1168  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies