Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 04:53:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 297 298 ... 1171
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 921813 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7300 on: March 16, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »

CNN says the NATO "deconfliction" line with Russia is not working.
sguberman
United States

« Reply #7301 on: March 16, 2022, 09:38:57 AM »

S-300 are apparently on the way
https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1504104741705502727
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7302 on: March 16, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »

Apologies if someone already posted but some interesting results from the Russian poll published in WaPo last week:

"DO YOU SUPPORT OR DO NOT SUPPORT THE MILITARY OPERATION OF RUSSIA ON THE TERRITORY OF UKRAINE?"
(age w/net support/oppose:)
18-24:29/39
25-30:37/30
31-35:45/24
36-40:52/29
41-55:63/22
56-65:71/14
66+:75/16

(locality)
city >1+M:48/31
city 500k-1M:56/31
city 100k-500k:56/24
city 50k-100k:63/23
city <50k/rural:65/16

(career stage)
studying:36/31
working:56/24
neither studying nor working:49/28
retired:69/17

(if working, for a federal, municipal, or private enterprise)
federal:61/19
municipal/local:77/12
private employee:49/29
private owner: 64/20

(financial situation in past year)
worsened:47/32
stayed the same:62/20
improved:67/15

> Russian polls

I guess FL Quinnipiac polls are more accurate.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7303 on: March 16, 2022, 09:47:12 AM »

Apologies if someone already posted but some interesting results from the Russian poll published in WaPo last week:

"DO YOU SUPPORT OR DO NOT SUPPORT THE MILITARY OPERATION OF RUSSIA ON THE TERRITORY OF UKRAINE?"
(age w/net support/oppose:)
18-24:29/39
25-30:37/30
31-35:45/24
36-40:52/29
41-55:63/22
56-65:71/14
66+:75/16

(locality)
city >1+M:48/31
city 500k-1M:56/31
city 100k-500k:56/24
city 50k-100k:63/23
city <50k/rural:65/16

(career stage)
studying:36/31
working:56/24
neither studying nor working:49/28
retired:69/17

(if working, for a federal, municipal, or private enterprise)
federal:61/19
municipal/local:77/12
private employee:49/29
private owner: 64/20

(financial situation in past year)
worsened:47/32
stayed the same:62/20
improved:67/15

> Russian polls

I guess FL Quinnipiac polls are more accurate.
tea leaves, tarot cards and chicken bones are more accurate
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7304 on: March 16, 2022, 09:52:33 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2022, 09:55:54 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Lots of missiles. I agree with Biden on no jets and no no fly zone I think, but the SAM's should have been delivered a week ago at least. Biden had a bad case of the slows there IMO. Perhaps there was a good reason for the delay. If so, I would like to know what it is.
this times a thousand.  There should have been modern missile defense systems in Ukraine a long (months/years) time ago.  The west has failed Ukraine for decades, same with Georgia and the Kurds.

The principal arguments against long-range SAMs in Ukraine pre-war were:
- If Ukraine was as outmatched as it seemed prior to the invasion, they wouldn’t change things but would get captured (muh sensitive technology)
- Cost. Ukraine was broke and the US thought its limited military aid was better spent elsewhere. Ukraine could keep restoring its older systems at a much cheaper cost
- Time cost (something like a Patriot system would take years to learn)
- A significant upgrade in those kinds of capabilities could create tensions between Russia and Ukraine

This is all understandable, but there should have at least been a strategy to quickly deliver Russian SAMs and aircraft (among other Russian weaponry) to Ukraine if and when an invasion happened.

Let’s assume the imminent deliveries is to be taken at face value - I’m a bit skeptical, because the official claimed they were sending two kinds of S-300 system but also said what they were sending “wasn’t the S-300” (they have probably misidentified something at the very least). With that assumption, we know Ukraine is still not being sent all the SAMs it can use that the West has operational. We don’t know how many systems are being sent (i.e. whether countries are emptying their inventories), but we do know that types like Buks and Kubs have been completely overlooked.

Yesterday, there was a report that Biden was mulling the delivery of Switchblade drones. They might have a fast learning curve, but - at least officially - Ukraine isn’t trained to use these yet. It might also be a non-starter because of concerns about sensitive technology. would make more sense to send more Turkish drones that Ukraine already uses, but I suspect one of the reasons that Switchblade story got boosted was because US lobbyists were concerned that Turkish drones would eat their market share thanks to a strong performance in Ukraine.

Whether it’s real or just hype for the US drone industry, it didn’t seem carefully planned. Congresscritters proposing the delivery of A-10 planes (which Ukraine has zero maintenance experience with) and “non-kinetic no fly zones” from Star Trek just add to the impression of disorganisation.
compucomp

« Reply #7305 on: March 16, 2022, 09:53:30 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2022, 09:59:54 AM by compucomp »

Financial Times reports that Ukraine and Russia have made significant progress on a tentative 15-point peace plan including a ceasefire and Russian withdrawal if Kyiv declares neutrality and accepts limits on its armed forces, according to three people involved in the talks.

I read over that article (link below), honestly I think it's not a bad result for Russia given the gains they have made up to now, if in addition they get that Ukraine renounces their claim to the Donbass and Crimea then they probably should accept the deal and declare victory.

Edit: If Ukraine is seriously considering any iteration of this deal then it means they know they are still in trouble and their nation has suffered from the war, and it's not all peaches and roses as their propaganda, cheerfully relayed on this thread, would have us believe.

https://www.ft.com/content/7b341e46-d375-4817-be67-802b7fa77ef1
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7306 on: March 16, 2022, 10:00:09 AM »

Financial Times reports that Ukraine and Russia have made significant progress on a tentative 15-point peace plan including a ceasefire and Russian withdrawal if Kyiv declares neutrality and accepts limits on its armed forces, according to three people involved in the talks.
Armed forces limits?!
That is a terrible idea. Why should Ukraine accept that?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7307 on: March 16, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »

Sorry, what? Can you please expand on that Torie?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7308 on: March 16, 2022, 10:05:00 AM »

That is the text that I saw on the CNN screen. I have no further knowledge. It seems to be a different phone from the infamous red one.

Addendum: More about the phone line: https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-04-22/h_b9af65dfcc767f7d5c70fb6e1ee440c6
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7309 on: March 16, 2022, 10:05:21 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

I generally agree,  But the devil is in the details. If it's a high threshold and there are more than adequate International security guarantees, it might serve Ukraine's needs in order to facilitate peace.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #7310 on: March 16, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

I agree on this point.  Ukraine should not give an inch on its ability to defend itself in the future.  

On the flip side, I think Ukraine's demand for Western security guarantees is a mistake.  It put Ukraine in a position vis-a-vis the West that it wishes to avoid with Russia.  If Ukraine wants the West to promise a military intervention in case of a future invasion from Russia, a nuclear power, then the West would then want to control Ukraine's domestic and foreign policy to make sure that Ukraine does nothing to provoke that conflict which could put the safety of the West at risk. It is unwise for Ukraine to cede that much power and control to anyone, Russia or the West.

I still think the deal should be
a) Constitutional neutrality for Ukraine with a de facto understanding that Ukraine joining any alliance or having foreign troops on its solid without Russian permission would mean another Russian invasion
b) Russian as a second official language in Ukraine
c) Ukraine accept Crimea as part of Russia
d) The two Donetsk republics rejoin Ukraine as autonomous regions
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7311 on: March 16, 2022, 10:10:07 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

I generally agree,  But the devil is in the details. If it's a high threshold and there are more than adequate International security guarantees, it might serve Ukraine's needs in order to facilitate peace.

What are the odds that Putin would accept the US giving security guarantees to Ukraine? If Putin accepted that and withdrew, the war is over. I don't see it happening. And the US is not going to give such guarantees without Ukraine having adequate armament for its defense, because that means the US does most of the fighting. That ain't happening.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7312 on: March 16, 2022, 10:11:09 AM »

That is the text that I saw on the CNN screen. I have no further knowledge. It seems to be a different phone from the infamous red one.

Addendum: More about the phone line: https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-04-22/h_b9af65dfcc767f7d5c70fb6e1ee440c6

US Department of Defense recently established a direct line of communication with its Russian counterpart to avoid possible missunderstandings in conjunction with military actions/exercises of both sides. That was done to ensure to avoid a potential unintentional escalation.

I read about this a week ago or so, and that the line is primarily used by Americans.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7313 on: March 16, 2022, 10:13:29 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

Yeah this seems to just set up a re-invasion in a few years when they invent another phony reason to invade.

a) Constitutional neutrality for Ukraine with a de facto understanding that Ukraine joining any alliance or having foreign troops on its solid without Russian permission would mean another Russian invasion

This would appear to be an acceptable deal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7314 on: March 16, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

I agree on this point.  Ukraine should not give an inch on its ability to defend itself in the future.  

On the flip side, I think Ukraine's demand for Western security guarantees is a mistake.  It put Ukraine in a position vis-a-vis the West that it wishes to avoid with Russia.  If Ukraine wants the West to promise a military intervention in case of a future invasion from Russia, a nuclear power, then the West would then want to control Ukraine's domestic and foreign policy to make sure that Ukraine does nothing to provoke that conflict which could put the safety of the West at risk. It is unwise for Ukraine to cede that much power and control to anyone, Russia or the West.

As to the bolded bit, one could say that about any NATO member. I think that argument is make weight. And there is no excuse by Russia to invade Ukraine, none, unless it invades Russia first.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #7315 on: March 16, 2022, 10:16:15 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

As to the bolded bit, one could say that about any NATO member. I think that argument is make weight. And there is no excuse by Russia to invade Ukraine, none, unless it invades Russia first.

But all current NATO members are not part of Russia's core interest states with the possible exception of the Baltic Republics which is why I also think Baltic Republics being in NATO is a bad idea and highly disablizing.
Logical

« Reply #7316 on: March 16, 2022, 10:16:43 AM »

If true then the Winter War comparisons were very apt.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7317 on: March 16, 2022, 10:20:41 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

But all current NATO members are not part of Russia's core interest states with the possible exception of the Baltic Republics which is why I also think Baltic Republics being in NATO is a bad idea and highly disablizing.

OK. I disagree. The Baltics in NATO are not destabalizing. Putin does not lay awake at night worrying about an attack from Estonia. What is destablizing has only one loci - the corpus of Putin.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7318 on: March 16, 2022, 10:27:04 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

c) Ukraine accept Crimea as part of Russia**

**Only after a free and fair referendum on the subject.

Russian as a primary language of the country is likely a non-starter politically (hell, I am seeing anecdotal stories about Russian speakers are switching to Ukrainian as a form of protest). If the Donbas is to be given autonomy, it should only be within the previous line of control. I don't think the areas of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts that remained under Ukrainian control should be subject to the crazies that have been in control of the "DPR" and "LPR" over the past eight years.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7319 on: March 16, 2022, 10:34:51 AM »

One thing I don't get about Putin's strategy in the past few days is the firing of missiles with apartment buildings being the deliberate target with the whole world watching. That makes it next to impossible for the West to appear to be rewarding Putin for doing that, and that is not going to intimidate the Ukrainians per se, and it will not kill enough Ukrainians so that their mindset becomes irrelevant.

Is Putin nuts, or are the missiles meant to hit something else, and Russia's guidance systems need work?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7320 on: March 16, 2022, 10:37:48 AM »

Armed forces limits?!

c) Ukraine accept Crimea as part of Russia**

**Only after a free and fair referendum on the subject.

Russian as a primary language of the country is likely a non-starter politically (hell, I am seeing anecdotal stories about Russian speakers are switching to Ukrainian as a form of protest). If the Donbas is to be given autonomy, it should only be within the previous line of control. I don't think the areas of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts that remained under Ukrainian control should be subject to the crazies that have been in control of the "DPR" and "LPR" over the past eight years.

What would be really tough is that the residents on the real estate Putin is rewarded with from invasion don't want to live under Putin. That would make for bad press if there are huge demonstrations by said residents against the notion that they have become unwilling pawns for "peace."
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7321 on: March 16, 2022, 10:42:51 AM »

One thing I don't get about Putin's strategy in the past few days is the firing of missiles with apartment buildings being the deliberate target with the whole world watching. That makes it next to impossible for the West to appear to be rewarding Putin for doing that, and that is not going to intimidate the Ukrainians per se, and it will not kill enough Ukrainians so that their mindset becomes irrelevant.

Is Putin nuts, or are the missiles meant to hit something else, and Russia's guidance systems need work?

I think he wants to "break" civilians here and show them who has the military might. He's just doing the same appalling stuff as he did in Grozny 1999 and Aleppo post-2015.

The West has sanctioned him to the stone age anyway, so he doesn't really care about that. He also feels certain enough NATO won't intervene directly because nobody in DC or Brussels wants to risk WWIII.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7322 on: March 16, 2022, 10:47:49 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7323 on: March 16, 2022, 11:02:33 AM »

Putler's reaction:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7324 on: March 16, 2022, 11:07:46 AM »

The two dissenters are Russian and Chinese. Shocking!
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 297 298 ... 1171  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies