Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:27:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 ... 1176
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 955547 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4725 on: March 01, 2022, 07:03:14 AM »

Looking for twitter updates on the Belarus situation and I found it the worst take on the war:

Imagine non-ironically using cringe and based to describe a government.

This guy sounds like he’s the only one who doesn’t know that he’s going to hell.
Omega21

« Reply #4726 on: March 01, 2022, 07:27:39 AM »

Maybe an inch in the right direction?

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #4727 on: March 01, 2022, 07:31:38 AM »

The four staffers in former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder's Bundestag office have resigned in protest against Schröder's continued presence on the boards of Russian energy companies.

Meanwhile, former Left Party chair Gregor Gysi has practically accused his party colleague Sahra Wagenknecht, until last week probably Germany's most prominent Putin advocate on the left side of the political spectrum, of being a sociopath (incapable of feeling emotions).

In Portugal, a PCP headquarters in Alentejo, Beja city to be precise, was vandalized with anti-PCP and anti-Russian words. Words like "You have Ukrainian blood in your sickle" where written in the front of the headquarters.

Also, Russian communities in Portugal are receiving death threats and being bullied. According to Russian community associations, several Russian immigrants in Portugal are receiving threatening phone calls and are being discriminated in every day activities.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4728 on: March 01, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »

The four staffers in former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder's Bundestag office have resigned in protest against Schröder's continued presence on the boards of Russian energy companies.

Meanwhile, former Left Party chair Gregor Gysi has practically accused his party colleague Sahra Wagenknecht, until last week probably Germany's most prominent Putin advocate on the left side of the political spectrum, of being a sociopath (incapable of feeling emotions).

In Portugal, a PCP headquarters in Alentejo, Beja city to be precise, was vandalized with anti-PCP and anti-Russian words. Words like "You have Ukrainian blood in your sickle" where written in the front of the headquarters.

Also, Russian communities in Portugal are receiving death threats and being bullied. According to Russian community associations, several Russian immigrants in Portugal are receiving threatening phone calls and are being discriminated in every day activities.
Jesus Christ, can people please leave Russian immigrants alone? They can't control what Putin does and a good % of them didn't like Russia or agree with it so they left.
Logical

« Reply #4729 on: March 01, 2022, 07:34:19 AM »

Looking for twitter updates on the Belarus situation and I found it the worst take on the war:

Imagine non-ironically using cringe and based to describe a government.
If you don't mind permanent brain damage I can show you Twitter rabbit holes of people who believe the whole thing is staged and that there is no war at all.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4730 on: March 01, 2022, 07:39:44 AM »

Fortunately, I haven't heard of any similar reports in Germany so far. Maybe we're just a culturally too pro-Russian society for that? At least I hope so.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4731 on: March 01, 2022, 07:43:11 AM »

What is happening now in Ukraine is the genocide of the Ukrainian people. If we talk about me, everything is calm in my region, except for the shelling of military units. I have now signed up for territorial defense and am preparing to defend my country

God bless you, you brave Patriot.

Your courage puts to shame every " I'm not saying I support the invasion, I'm just saying we have to take a more neutral and nuanced approach towards Hitler's territorial claims in Poland"  apologist ****** on this forum. Let alone the few bona fide Putin toadies whom deserve far worse than contempt.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4732 on: March 01, 2022, 08:01:25 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 08:12:13 AM by Meclazine »

Looking at those maps from Logical, there are still 24 Battalion Tactical Groups in the northwest yet to invade from Belarus. That is a large amount of military strength in reserve.

Once the Ruskies get in an underneath that left flank, it's lights out.

Another scenario presented below. Maybe the Ruskies are only capturing the East to begin with.

Ukraine is a large land mass, so they might be planning the invasion in halves.

Mariupol must be surrounded by now.

In other news, Australian supermarkets have banned Russian Vodka.

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #4733 on: March 01, 2022, 08:16:12 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4734 on: March 01, 2022, 08:31:20 AM »

It reminds me of the Hitler Show on Family Guy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4735 on: March 01, 2022, 08:35:19 AM »

What is happening now in Ukraine is the genocide of the Ukrainian people. If we talk about me, everything is calm in my region, except for the shelling of military units. I have now signed up for territorial defense and am preparing to defend my country

You are a hero and an inspiration to us all. I can only hope I'll have half your courage if my country is ever under attack. Please stay alive, and good hunting.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4736 on: March 01, 2022, 08:39:36 AM »

Looking at those maps from Logical, there are still 24 Battalion Tactical Groups in the northwest yet to invade from Belarus. That is a large amount of military strength in reserve.

Once the Ruskies get in an underneath that left flank, it's lights out.

Another scenario presented below. Maybe the Ruskies are only capturing the East to begin with.

Ukraine is a large land mass, so they might be planning the invasion in halves.

Mariupol must be surrounded by now.

In other news, Australian supermarkets have banned Russian Vodka.

Which would match the 1943 Summer to Fall USSR offensive pretty closely
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4737 on: March 01, 2022, 08:47:34 AM »

God bless you, Andriy. The whole world is with you!
compucomp

« Reply #4738 on: March 01, 2022, 08:51:11 AM »

Also, it's clear that China got it right when it decided to ring-fence its internet, bar Western internet and social media companies that wouldn't meet its requirements, which turned out to be all of them, and develop domestic alternatives. Facebook and Twitter are turning out to be huge national security nightmares for Russia as they are clearly intervening on behalf of the Ukrainians and banning them now could cause backlash as there may not be an alternative (maybe Telegram?) and Russians are used to using them. China would not face this issue at all. Yes it's annoying to use the internet in China particularly to browse foreign websites but national security is more important than my convenience.

COPE

Again, this makes no sense. I'm not Russian. I'm basically watching a football game here. I may have picked a side to support but I have no skin in the game. For some reason the vast majority of the forum, minus a few Ukrainians, thinks they do even though they are in the same situation as me.

There is an obvious difference between private censorship and state censorship. For instance, I might think that you should be permanently banned from this site because you are a fascist useful idiot, an authoritarian stooge, a Wumao 50 cent shill, a gutless bloodthirsty keyboard warrior, and worst of all a Jerseyite. Nevertheless, I would still think you should be free to say what you want in the public sphere though. Hypothetically.

These days Twitter, Facebook, and other social media/internet services function practically as extensions of the public sphere even if they are regulated as private companies and have wide powers to deny service. They have clearly picked a side in this conflict and the situation is clearly asymmetric; if Ukrainian troop movements were filmed and posted, they would likely be quickly deleted, and Russian "fake news" is banned while Ukrainian reports that are likely just as fake are promulgated as news. I mean who really believes the 20:1 casualty ratio reported? Imagine how you would feel if Weibo were the dominant service in the US, Twitter were a fringe service like Parler or whatever the hell Trump is launching, and after the war started all you saw were pro-Russian posts and the pro-Ukrainian ones were suppressed?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4739 on: March 01, 2022, 08:56:50 AM »

Very droll, but (if it actually needs to be pointed out) not happening.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #4740 on: March 01, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »

Again, this makes no sense. I'm not Russian. I'm basically watching a football game here. I may have picked a side to support but I have no skin in the game. For some reason the vast majority of the forum, minus a few Ukrainians, thinks they do even though they are in the same situation as me.

In human cultures, the loss of life is generally considered lamentable. Hope this helps!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4741 on: March 01, 2022, 09:00:44 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-02-28/wielding-swift-against-russia-for-ukraine-invasion-is-a-big-risk

Bloomberg editorial argues that the SWIFT sanction carries a big risk.  Bloomberg's position often represents the Wall Street position.  What is not said is that cutting Russia from SWIFT will accelerate the creation of alternative financial arrangements in the world which are now going to be further outside the influence and control of Wall Street and by connection the collective West.

That just sounds Beta. What’s the point of the leverage if it wasn’t working?

Leverage is an excuse. The point is profit.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4742 on: March 01, 2022, 09:15:15 AM »

I read it as a piece of fear-based propaganda meant to drum up support for Ukraine.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4743 on: March 01, 2022, 09:16:37 AM »

I read it as a piece of fear-based propaganda meant to drum up support for Ukraine.

I mean, if we get to the point where there is very little resistance coming out of Ukraine  by the of the year, I think he will arrack the Baltics.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4744 on: March 01, 2022, 09:21:41 AM »

I mean, if we get to the point where there is very little resistance coming out of Ukraine  by the of the year, I think he will arrack the Baltics.

I don't think that Russia will be in any condition to attack NATO after a year of occupying Ukraine and dealing with the prolonged sanctions. I know there was some concern beforehand, but what we've seen over the last week makes it incredibly clear to me that the Russians stand absolutely no chance against the US and Europe. That said, it's also clear to me that Putin is not the shrewd, competent dictator we thought he was either. He might actually be dumb enough to attack NATO members.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4745 on: March 01, 2022, 09:23:12 AM »

No, because they would actually be fully backed by NATO.

I don't think that dooming about this, at least, is very helpful. Even if Putin was silly/insane enough to think it possible, plenty of others in the Russian "deep state" do not agree.
compucomp

« Reply #4746 on: March 01, 2022, 09:24:55 AM »

In human cultures, the loss of life is generally considered lamentable. Hope this helps!

Yet wearing a mask is an intolerable burden to slow down COVID? While the effect of the sanctions will have a far greater impact on daily life, particularly in Europe where energy costs could surge?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4747 on: March 01, 2022, 09:25:15 AM »

No, because they would actually be fully backed by NATO.

I don't think that dooming about this at least is very helpful. Even if Putin was silly/insane enough to think it possible, plenty of other in the Russian "deep state" do not agree.

That's my thinking too. I'm just saying that Putin strikes me as unhinged or stupid enough to demand an attack on NATO. If that's the case then we may hear news about Putin suddenly "stepping down" or dying.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4748 on: March 01, 2022, 09:26:06 AM »

Yet wearing a mask is an intolerable burden to slow down COVID? While the effect of the sanctions will have a far greater impact on daily life, particularly in Europe where energy costs could surge?

Shut the hell up, no one wants to hear about your outdoor mask mandate crap.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #4749 on: March 01, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »

I'm a believer in Long COVID. Look at the brain damage displayed above.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 ... 1176  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies