Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:10:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 923791 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: February 24, 2022, 06:12:19 AM »

I must say that the situation is terrible. But so far I'm fine. At the moment, I am taking my family out of my city to the village where I have a house. Details will be announced later, if possible
Stay safe, man. Praying for you and for Ukraine.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1876 on: February 24, 2022, 06:30:54 AM »

Regime change in Moscow must now be the end goal. This requires stepping up cyber and information warfare efforts significantly, including the requisition of the services of all major social media companies. Clandestine funding of opposition groups in Russia with siginificant sums has become imperarative. Everything Russia has accused the West of in the past must now be done for real, and multiplied times ten.

Ah, and is there any way to suspend a country from the UN security council? I guess China could veto it, but that doesn't hinder all other countries to boycott Russia's attendence and meet in their absence.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1877 on: February 24, 2022, 06:45:03 AM »

Bloomberg news: Russian Stock Market Rout Wipes Out $250 Billion in Value

Russian equities down to where it was at the beginning of the pandemic. 
Logical

« Reply #1878 on: February 24, 2022, 06:45:41 AM »

Russian Air Assault at a military airport close to Kyiv. 30+ helicopters. Going for the head.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1879 on: February 24, 2022, 06:49:17 AM »

Regime change in Moscow must now be the end goal. This requires stepping up cyber and information warfare efforts significantly, including the requisition of the services of all major social media companies. Clandestine funding of opposition groups in Russia with siginificant sums has become imperarative. Everything Russia has accused the West of in the past must now be done for real, and multiplied times ten.

Ah, and is there any way to suspend a country from the UN security council? I guess China could veto it, but that doesn't hinder all other countries to boycott Russia's attendence and meet in their absence.

So how are you going to get funds to ‘opposition groups’ if you also support draconian sanctions to cut the Russian economy off from the West? How will you prevent the Kremlin from impounding these funds? Most importantly, what ‘regime’ do you want to bring in in Moscow? Who will it be comprised of? Will the army be on board? The security services? How will you make it legitimate to those Russians who aren’t emigrés or living in the Petersburg/Moscow bubble?

I think this escalation by Putin may well be an overreach that brings harm to the Russian people as well as those of the Ukraine. Nonetheless, talk of the West attempting ‘regime’ change in Russia  is foolish and irresponsible, especially if it percolates up to people holding actual positions on power in western countries.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1880 on: February 24, 2022, 06:51:29 AM »

German News report that Russian forces are moving towards Kyiv. I think Putin's goal is to oust the entire Ukrainian government, which he views as pro-Western fascists, and install a pro-Russian puppet government.

If I had to guess: Zelensky and his government will soon be forced to go into exile (Poland, UK or Germany, I'd say) and there will be two Ukrainian governments, the official one in exile and a puppet regime in Kyiv. That's what it will come down to.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1881 on: February 24, 2022, 06:51:41 AM »

So how are you going to get funds to ‘opposition groups’ if you also support draconian sanctions to cut the Russian economy off from the West? How will you prevent the Kremlin from impounding these funds? Most importantly, what ‘regime’ do you want to bring in in Moscow? Who will it be comprised of? Will the army be on board? The security services? How will you make it legitimate to those Russians who aren’t emigrés or living in the Petersburg/Moscow bubble?

I think this escalation by Putin may well be an overreach that brings harm to the Russian people as well as those of the Ukraine. Nonetheless, talk of the West attempting ‘regime’ change in Russia  is foolish and irresponsible, especially if it percolates up to people holding actual positions on power in western countries.

It's not foolish and irresponsible. It's what's necessary.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1882 on: February 24, 2022, 06:58:24 AM »

At this stage hopefully this is a rerun of 2008 Georgia where the Russian military achieves limited Russian political goals and the fighting can stop and Russian forces can pull back.  Sadly, the talk from Moscow seems to indicate the political goals are not limited so this might drag out for some time. 
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1883 on: February 24, 2022, 07:01:08 AM »

Well, many across the world will be hoping that you are right.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1884 on: February 24, 2022, 07:11:16 AM »

Somebody else pointed out tonight that TECHNICALLY Russia was never appointed to the Security Council. The USSR was and then Russia wasn't kicked off the council after USSR became Russia. But by legal technicalities, Russia could be theoretically removed because it never went through the proper process or received approval of the UN to be on the council.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1885 on: February 24, 2022, 07:25:43 AM »

Boris Johnson says there will be "massive package of economic sanctions".

The core question still will be "will Russia be able to sell energy to the collective West and get paid for it?" Yes or No.  If Yes then nothing is "massive"
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1886 on: February 24, 2022, 07:28:06 AM »

Would this be enough to spark a revolution to overthrow Putler? Or is there a mistranslation, or something?

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1887 on: February 24, 2022, 07:28:18 AM »

Somebody else pointed out tonight that TECHNICALLY Russia was never appointed to the Security Council. The USSR was and then Russia wasn't kicked off the council after USSR became Russia. But by legal technicalities, Russia could be theoretically removed because it never went through the proper process or received approval of the UN to be on the council.

If you can do that then by the same logic ROC was the founding member of the Security Council so I think ROC should get back the China seat that it lost in 1971.  BTW, the current UN Security Council seat PRC has is still called "the ROC seat" since ROC was a founding member of UN and Security Council.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1888 on: February 24, 2022, 07:36:20 AM »

If you can do that then by the same logic ROC was the founding member of the Security Council so I think ROC should get back the China seat that it lost in 1971.  BTW, the current UN Security Council seat PRC has is still called "the ROC seat" since ROC was a founding member of UN and Security Council.

The thing is, Putin himself has claimed that Russia is no longer bound by the 1994 Budapest Memorandum on the grounds that, in his view, Ukraine of 1994 was a different country compared to Ukraine of today. Well, the Soviet Union of 1945 most certainly was a different country compared to Russia of today. (Well, there are some similarities...)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1889 on: February 24, 2022, 07:46:25 AM »

It looks like Ukraine is fighting back
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1890 on: February 24, 2022, 07:46:45 AM »

It's not foolish and irresponsible. It's what's necessary.

A regime change in Russia would be fantastic, providing the new regime is more democratic than the precedent. Sadly, and regardless of whether you deem it a neccessary or a foolish and irresponsible development, such a thing sounds utterly unrealistic

Anyway the future repercussions of these tragic events are completely unpredictable
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #1891 on: February 24, 2022, 07:50:00 AM »

I must say that the situation is terrible. But so far I'm fine. At the moment, I am taking my family out of my city to the village where I have a house. Details will be announced later, if possible

Stay safe.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1892 on: February 24, 2022, 07:51:08 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 08:04:45 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Fyodor Smolov, striker for Dynamo Moscow and member of the Russian national football team, has posted a black picture on Instagram with the comment "No to war" and an Ukrainian flag.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaWrE-nMcyz/

Welcome to the resistance!
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1893 on: February 24, 2022, 08:04:53 AM »

If you support Russia's attack, I do not want to hear from you. Silence.

Is there a single person here who does support it though? Didn't get that impression tbh
Maybe Vaccinated Russian Bear?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1894 on: February 24, 2022, 08:15:02 AM »

There are so little good factual reports on what's happening on the ground. It seems the Ukrainian are putting up a decent fight in the East but it's far from obvious what's happening in Kherson, Mariupol, Khrakov and the rest of the big cities
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1895 on: February 24, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »

UEFA has decided to move the 2022 Champions Leage Final on May 28 away from the initially planned site of St. Petersburg.

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/uefa-entzieht-sankt-petersburg-das-champions-league-finale-a-faaa8281-b069-4e84-943b-51720cc161c2

(German source)
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #1896 on: February 24, 2022, 08:21:50 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1897 on: February 24, 2022, 08:25:40 AM »

India is being cautiously quiet about these recent events.  I’d imagine they’re trying to walk that thin balance between being major trading partners with both Russia and Ukraine. 

An official denouncement would be nice, but I’m not holding my breath.

Saying a prayer for you at my puja this morning, Andriy.  Please keep us posted, but do be sure that you and your family are safe first and foremost. 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1898 on: February 24, 2022, 08:26:17 AM »

Question
1. Can we now say the amphibious assault on Odessa was Russian disinformation?
2. Was there a even a VDV attack on Kyiv, if so, was it in fact repelled?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1899 on: February 24, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »

Question
1. Can we now say the amphibious assault on Odessa was Russian disinformation?
2. Was there a even a VDV attack on Kyiv, if so, was it in fact repelled?

Those Russian Twitterbutts are really good, aren't they? Eventually people catch on, though.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies