Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:02:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 1162
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 880552 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: February 24, 2022, 12:09:54 AM »

I second changing the thread title. I've edited this post's subject line to my suggestion, which corresponds with Wikipedia's terminology.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #1651 on: February 24, 2022, 12:10:33 AM »

The most tragic part of all of this is that the west could have easily prevented this and chose not to. If there's any justice in history Biden will be remembered in the same breath as Chamberlain. We are hoping hard for the best.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1652 on: February 24, 2022, 12:10:39 AM »

Omega21

« Reply #1653 on: February 24, 2022, 12:10:54 AM »

If Russia fully commits, 0.1%. They can make it a costly victory tho, if their chain of command or supply lines don't get cut.

Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #1654 on: February 24, 2022, 12:11:08 AM »

The most tragic part of all of this is that the west could have easily prevented this and chose not to. If there's any justice in history Biden will be remembered in the same breath as Chamberlain. We are hoping hard for the best.
These situations are not at all comparable. There’s no analogue to the Munich Agreement, for one.
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #1655 on: February 24, 2022, 12:11:50 AM »

I'm very skeptic on Moldova since it's not exactly a pro-NATO state. I'll wait for actual confirmation on that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1656 on: February 24, 2022, 12:13:30 AM »

Hopefully this means Moldova is not in fact under attack!!!

That is just the Russian puppet state along the Ukraine border, so it doesn't sound like Moldova isn't losing any more territory since 1991. However, if Russia was going to invade 2 more former Soviet republics, it would be them and Georgia.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1657 on: February 24, 2022, 12:13:50 AM »

I'm very skeptic on Moldova since it's not exactly a pro-NATO state. I'll wait for actual confirmation on that.
Yeah, evidently it was a "misunderstanding".
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1658 on: February 24, 2022, 12:13:56 AM »

Just hopped on snapchat (i know) and took a look at the map and as of 20 mins ago the seaside in Odesa looks calm and there are no troops/landings there. Take it FWIW.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1659 on: February 24, 2022, 12:14:07 AM »

These situations are not at all comparable. There’s no analogue to the Munich Agreement, for one.

Active, violent territorial aggrandizement by a nuclear power is genuinely unusual for the postwar world. The Soviet Union's own borders after 1945 remained stable; they just intervened on behalf of allies and puppet governments. If a year ago you had told me that an acknowledged nuclear weapons state was going to do something like this, I would have guessed India or Pakistan.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1660 on: February 24, 2022, 12:14:17 AM »

If Russia fully commits, 0.1%. They can make it a costly victory tho, if their chain of command or supply lines don't get cut.

My understanding is that Russia in first place bombs Command and control infrastructure and military storage facilities...
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1661 on: February 24, 2022, 12:15:47 AM »

I second changing the thread title. I've edited this post's subject line to my suggestion, which corresponds with Wikipedia's terminology.

Done.
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #1662 on: February 24, 2022, 12:16:06 AM »

Yeah, evidently it was a "misunderstanding".

Transninstria makes a lot more sense. There is a Russian presence there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_Group_of_Russian_Forces
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1663 on: February 24, 2022, 12:16:08 AM »

If they win, it will probably be as a result of a long term insurgency. However, the Ukrainian Army can do damage now in particular in any urban fighting. They will probably have a harder time if they try to fight out in the open, due to the Russian firepower/artillery/air/drone advantage.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1664 on: February 24, 2022, 12:16:17 AM »

My understanding is that Russia in first place bombs Command and control infrastructure and military storage facilities...
You'd hope Ukraine would have bomb proof command centers (from the Soviet era, maybe?).
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1665 on: February 24, 2022, 12:16:20 AM »

Just hopped on snapchat (i know) and took a look at the map and as of 20 mins ago the seaside in Odessa looks calm and there are no troops/landings there. Take it FWIW.

My understanding: only bombings so far, perhaps, with exception of Donbass/Luhansk border.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1666 on: February 24, 2022, 12:17:21 AM »

It depends.

The Russians could decided that things have become so costly it is not worth it.

If the Russians are 100% commited though, not a chance.
Omega21

« Reply #1667 on: February 24, 2022, 12:19:26 AM »

Yeah, if those get sufficiently damaged and the leadership is cut off, it's going to be a total & swift capitulation.

Still low info though, so we'll see within a few hours what all the bombardment did on the ground.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1668 on: February 24, 2022, 12:19:28 AM »

I mean, that is possible, but to say it could have been done "easily" is a strong claim which requires strong evidence going beyond speculation. And it is not as though alternative courses of possible action may not have had some vary obvious potential downsides and costs. It is not something that can be described as simple or easy, even if you want to argue that Biden's policy is wrong (which is a fair argument to make if you want).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1669 on: February 24, 2022, 12:20:03 AM »

US intel has reported that no ground troops have moved into Ukraine yet and is all bombings so any reports of cities falling is disinformation
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1670 on: February 24, 2022, 12:20:15 AM »

This is why I incorrectly predicted that Putin was bluffing to extract concessions. He is showing a new and worrisome level of aggression that goes far beyond even his old playbook.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1671 on: February 24, 2022, 12:21:38 AM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1672 on: February 24, 2022, 12:22:22 AM »

I wonder if the Ukranians are willing to do gurilla warfare to defend their homeland.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #1673 on: February 24, 2022, 12:22:34 AM »

Based.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1674 on: February 24, 2022, 12:24:13 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 1162