Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:12:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 1167
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 905733 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: February 21, 2022, 03:37:14 PM »

Pretty dumb point tbh. Assuming Putin does invade, of the last three presidents Trump will be the only one Ukraine didn't lose any more territory under.

You don't understand Putin 3-D chess.  He does nothing to Ukraine while his puppet Trump is in office and once Trump wins re-election puppet Trump will just hand the entire Ukraine over to Putin. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #976 on: February 21, 2022, 03:39:32 PM »

Of course, if there are sanctions Russia will come back with "where are the sanctions on the countries that recognized Kosovo independence?"   I doubt there will be the unity in the Western alliance to impose any sanctions anyway.

Over recent weeks and on the recent Munich Security Conference, the Western alliance actually made a very united impression. I just hope they follow through.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #977 on: February 21, 2022, 03:39:46 PM »

If Vaccinated Russian Bear could contain his giddiness about the invasion of a foreign country, this thread would be much more bearable....

Yeah if Trump had successfully stolen the 2020 election I suppose he would have just given Ukraine to Putin without a fight.

Pretty dumb point tbh. Assuming Putin does invade, of the last three presidents Trump will be the only one Ukraine didn't lose any more territory under.

Exactly, it not like Biden is going to defend Ukraine from full invasion except with strong words and a light slap on the wrist.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #978 on: February 21, 2022, 03:40:11 PM »

Guardian live news feed:

I have been talking to a senior official from an east European country after Putin’s staged security council meeting. The official expressed concern about splits in allied resolve in the face of a Russian recognition of Luhansk and Donetsk “independence”.

”It might be not a direct invasion, but instead ... recognition, then maybe dragging on some days or weeks before Russian so-called ‘peacekeepers’ enter Luhansk and Donetsk occupied territories,” the official said. “Then it’s a grey zone, where you are not sure if that triggers sanctions, especially for for some European Union countries which are further from from the front line.”

"Russians don't take a dump without a plan." - Fred Thompson, The Hunt for Red October
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #979 on: February 21, 2022, 03:40:37 PM »

RUB actually strengthened to above 80 at the end of the speech.  I guess some investors expected Putin to also order a military offensive against Ukraine which did not take place.

did no take place yet
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #980 on: February 21, 2022, 03:41:17 PM »

Of course, if there are sanctions Russia will come back with "where are the sanctions on the countries that recognized Kosovo independence?"   I doubt there will be the unity in the Western alliance to impose any sanctions anyway.

Over recent weeks and on the recent Munich Security Conference, the Western alliance actually made a very united impression. I just hope they follow through.

I guess you can count Orban out though.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #981 on: February 21, 2022, 03:41:47 PM »

So what does this mean? No invasion or what?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #982 on: February 21, 2022, 03:42:10 PM »

I am sure the power of the German business will make their presence felt.  I always have faith in greed.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #983 on: February 21, 2022, 03:44:57 PM »

It absolutely does not mean no invasion, but it does make a slow-rolling encroachment like with Crimea more likely relative to the apocalyptic blitzkrieg we were all fantasizing about a few days ago.

RUB actually strengthened to above 80 at the end of the speech.  I guess some investors expected Putin to also order a military offensive against Ukraine which did not take place.

did no take place yet

It's jaichind; he takes it as an article of faith that currency speculators aren't lemmings because if he admits that they are his whole worldview collapses. Best to ignore his posts about the ruble and just focus on his much more reality-based interpretations regarding what Putin and other leaders are actually saying and doing.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #984 on: February 21, 2022, 03:47:57 PM »

People are slagging off Russian Bear but he’s hardly taken a especially pro-Putin position in this thread.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #985 on: February 21, 2022, 03:49:06 PM »

It means that the invasion will occur (quite a bit more certain than before the speech), and that the recognition of these 2 separatist regions will be involved in the pretext for it. It may be that Russian troops go into there for "peacekeeping" or something, and then say they are "being attacked by the Ukrainians," and you can see where things are headed. Or TBH they could just go directly in immediately, because I am not sure Putin really gives a **** at this point, and he already has enough of a pretext for his purposes.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #986 on: February 21, 2022, 03:52:36 PM »

Biden announces new sanctions. The EU is on board as well.

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #987 on: February 21, 2022, 03:57:41 PM »

What exactly are the borders of these “states” that Putin just recognized? It’s in contention, no?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #988 on: February 21, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »

So nothing really new or unexpected. Continued porous border free-for all where Russia has already made an incursion and no doubt continued meddling in Ukrainian politics as has been the case for the past twenty years. Putin doesn't have a strong hand.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #989 on: February 21, 2022, 04:01:01 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 04:26:19 PM by 👁️👁️ »

What exactly are the borders of these “states” that Putin just recognized? It’s in contention, no?

Yes, it is in contention. The line of contact between Ukranian and Russian control is about halfway through those states.

So if and when the Russian troops go in to "protect" the separatist regions, the question is if they stop at the line of control (the current front line), or alternatively if they just blow right through it and keep going.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1495859915952476173

And here we have the "peacekeeping" operation. How far will they go?

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #990 on: February 21, 2022, 04:03:22 PM »

New sanctions against DNR and LNR. As always West rants about sanctioning Putin's trillions of $$$, but in the end it's always ordinary people, who get f**ked up, while Chelsea is still owned by an oligarch. All the hope on BoJo. He's a real clown, so, perhaps, two wrongs does, indeed, make a right this time around.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #991 on: February 21, 2022, 04:03:28 PM »

These sanctions look like sanctions on those that operate in those two breakaway Republics.  It is like a sanction on Putin's brother (if he has one).  Ceremonial but not bite.

Sanctions I am interested in and has bite are
1) SWIFT - this seems to have been ruled out
2) Russian banks using USD - look out for the workaround of Russian banks still being able to use EUR
3) Nord Stream 2 - Clearly German business interests will come in to try to stop this
4) No trading of Russian debt on secondary markets - a lot of European banks are pushing back on this.  I understand why.  A lot of emerging market debt is traded as a spread on other emerging market debt.  So no trading of Russian debt means you mess up trading of other emerging market debt.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #992 on: February 21, 2022, 04:04:49 PM »

Yes, but using by Kosovo comparison, Kosovo's borders are also under contention.  There are Serb majority parts of Kosovo that claim they are not part of Kosovo.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #993 on: February 21, 2022, 04:05:38 PM »

It means that the invasion will occur (quite a bit more certain than before the speech), and that the recognition of these 2 separatist regions will be involved in the pretext for it. It may be that Russian troops go into there for "peacekeeping" or something, and then say they are "being attacked by the Ukrainians," and you can see where things are headed. Or TBH they could just go directly in immediately, because I am not sure Putin really gives a **** at this point, and he already has enough of a pretext for his purposes.

One doesn't even know, what "border" Putin recognized today.

The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #994 on: February 21, 2022, 04:27:57 PM »

It means that the invasion will occur (quite a bit more certain than before the speech), and that the recognition of these 2 separatist regions will be involved in the pretext for it. It may be that Russian troops go into there for "peacekeeping" or something, and then say they are "being attacked by the Ukrainians," and you can see where things are headed.

And here we have the "peacekeeping" operation.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #995 on: February 21, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »

It means that the invasion will occur (quite a bit more certain than before the speech), and that the recognition of these 2 separatist regions will be involved in the pretext for it. It may be that Russian troops go into there for "peacekeeping" or something, and then say they are "being attacked by the Ukrainians," and you can see where things are headed.

On the first day after the Olympics had concluded. Kind of obvious timing, Putin.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #996 on: February 21, 2022, 04:35:35 PM »

Sure looks like this is going to be a significantly increased and overt Russian military presence in the separatist areas. That means Russian weapons and troops crossing the border into Ukraine, but it still remains to be seen if they're planning to try to take any new territory (worth noting both the DNR and LNR claim a lot more territory than they control, albeit none outside of easternmost Ukraine). At least according to a lot of the Russia watchers I know, doing the former without doing the latter is a way Russia can "invade" and not be seen as backing down without having to "invade."
compucomp

« Reply #997 on: February 21, 2022, 04:37:02 PM »

I guess we're about to find out what a "minor incursion" is?

Also I like Putin's terminology in referring to "the authorities in charge in Kiev" and the "Kiev regime" to brand Ukraine as a rogue state, mimicking how the US likes to label countries it thinks of as rogue states.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #998 on: February 21, 2022, 04:43:13 PM »

This is just my opinion, but I think the way Putin is framing this makes a big escalation in the Ukraininan east much more likely while making war - at least a ground war over control of territory - in the rest of the country much less likely.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #999 on: February 21, 2022, 04:48:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 1167  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies