Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:19:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 112
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 878209 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 09:06:19 PM »

UNVERIFIED, but worth posting

Well, something has changed:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 09:08:08 PM »

No, Biden has repeated said he will not send in US troops and no other NATO members are willing to send in their troops.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2022, 09:12:35 PM »

UNVERIFIED, but worth posting

Well, something has changed:

Here's the link to the livestream that image was taken from. The are obvious plumes of smoke rising from the city currently. https://mytrinity.com.ua/cams?group=1206#

Edit: Welp, now it's down. Thanks Russian hackers.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2022, 09:24:31 PM »

More on the border post that was (apparently?) attacked

<tweet snip>
These shots appear to show civilians running away from fatigue wearing men w/o insignia at the same insignia:
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2022, 09:31:07 PM »

LOL Russia uses High Frequency radio for their strategic bombers which is easily picked up by well, anybody:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2022, 09:55:09 PM »

I wonder if this and his previous speech were recorded at the same time:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2022, 10:02:27 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 10:05:30 PM by Storr »

This is very strange. There is a lot of info indicating that Putin is basically declaring war in this speech, but at the same time the MSM still has absolutely nothing on it.

So I wonder if it might be some sort of weird information warfare of some sort. At this point I think we should wait for some MSM confirmation.

Special military operation in Donbas. All Ukrainian soldiers should put down weapons and "go home". Then, Putin promise, nothing will happen to them. Cringe.

Though, I missed the beginning.
No subtitles so idk what's he's saying, but here's a Russia 24 livestream of the speech (edit: that seems to be on repeat): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3pYbzFrnQU
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2022, 10:19:02 PM »

Link to the livestream of Kharkiv this shot was taken from. It's depressing to see dawn start to break behind a large plume of smoke above explosion site.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZbVufqW3s
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2022, 10:31:27 PM »

Germany 1939: Defending itself by invading Poland.

Russia 2022: Defending itself by invading Ukraine.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2022, 11:08:44 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 11:13:47 PM by Storr »

April 9th, 1990
First performance of Ще не вмерла України і слава, і воля Glory and Freedom of Ukraine Has not yet Perished.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2022, 11:18:47 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 11:22:25 PM by Storr »

Is it possible Ukraine can create a Stalingrad type trap for the Russians
Not likely. Stalingrad was 2,200 kilometers from Berlin. Kyiv is 90 kilometers from the Belarusian (which is a penniless Russian puppet state) border and 750 km from Moscow.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2022, 11:26:21 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2022, 11:28:50 PM »

There were some left over from the Soviet era but I believe Russia took them back post '91.
they gave them back under the sort of idea that what's happening now wouldn't happen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

"The memorandum included security assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan.

As a result, between 1994 and 1996, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons. Until then, Ukraine had the world's third-largest nuclear weapons stockpile, of which Ukraine had physical, but not operational, control. Russia alone controlled the codes needed to operate the nuclear weapons via Russian-controlled electronic Permissive Action Links and the Russian command and control system. Formally, these weapons were controlled by the Commonwealth of Independent States."
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2022, 11:57:28 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 12:06:29 AM by Storr »

OK, this is bad, if true (needs confirmation). Russia may be attacking Moldova also, not just Ukraine.

I saw a report of this 5-10 minutes ago but assumed it must be a mistake, but this is 2nd report I saw.

You've got to be sh**tting me, I hope this is just Twitter trolling
If this is true, holy ****. Moldova is a neutral country with neutrality written into its constitution.
Edit: It appears that tweet was deleted, so hopefully Moldova hasn't been targeted (yet).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2022, 12:13:50 AM »

I'm very skeptic on Moldova since it's not exactly a pro-NATO state. I'll wait for actual confirmation on that.
Yeah, evidently it was a "misunderstanding".
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2022, 12:16:17 AM »

If Russia fully commits, 0.1%. They can make it a costly victory tho, if their chain of command or supply lines don't get cut.

My understanding is that Russia in first place bombs Command and control infrastructure and military storage facilities...
You'd hope Ukraine would have bomb proof command centers (from the Soviet era, maybe?).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2022, 12:31:49 AM »

From what I've read,  in order to take over the whole of Ukraine, Russia would need at least 400,000 troops. That's nowhere near the publicly floated figures of troops near the border. The goal would seem to be less than full invasion and occupation. Taking over the Ukrainian-held areas of Luhansk and Donetsk would likely be the lowest hanging objective and makes sense with the very recent recognition of the LPR and DPR.  
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2022, 12:37:35 AM »

Here are two livestreams of Odessa and it looks like nothing much is going on, much less a Russian invasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYoP5VLgetY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWKjaA-wNho

Edit: Actually this channel is just livestreams from Odessa. So in case we hear about supposed events happening there it could be useful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HLreFwNngovwzB63lnpzg
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2022, 12:51:25 AM »

i despise china
If real or "total" sanctions are adopted, China stands to gain a lot of business since 10% of Russian imports come from the EU or US.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2022, 01:04:21 AM »

i despise china
If real sanctions are adopted, China stands to gain a lot of business since 10% of Russian imports come from the EU or US.

Russia becomes a vessel state for China.

Great for China, but for Russia.
According to the CIA world factbook 20% of Russian imports and 14% of Russian exports are already with China, making it Russia's top trade partner.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2022, 01:16:23 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 01:19:40 AM by Storr »

Well umm, I'll let the official Ukrainian government twitter account speak for itself on this one:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2022, 01:24:03 AM »

Huh, Ukraine might actually have something here.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2022, 01:40:13 AM »

Won’t Sactions just cripple the lives of everyday Russians instead of actually ending the war?

Hopefully it hurts their lives enough that they stop supporting Putin.

Russia isn’t a democracy. Short of violent revolution, 99% of Russia could despise Putin and it wouldn’t make a real difference.

There's a limit even in countries like Russia. At that level there would be a military coup and the oligarchs wouldn't back him.

He'd commit suicide with two shots in the back.
Exactly, even in the Soviet Union a military coup was stopped by the public's will.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2022, 02:16:25 AM »

Unlikely to occur, but if Georgia wanted to take back control of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, this is probably a good time to do so.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 112  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies